Carnage II 12ft sweet spot

TreednNC

• 2 years later...
On 8/20/2018 at 11:26 AM, TreednNC said:

Anyone here used the 12ft casting 4-10 carnage ii? Looking for an honest 6nbait rod and a rod that will throw 6oz metal as hard as I want to punch it. Was hoping with a 10oz top end, it would settle into that 6oz category well. 

Wondering if you ever got an answer and what you ended up going with, I'm looking at the Battalion 4-10. 

I can’t speak on the new battalion II, but I use the original battalion and penn prevail 4-10 to shark fish. Standard Payload is 6 oz lead with 1/2 mac. Total payload is usually between 10-12 oz. Never had an issue or felt that i was overloading the rod. Largest shark on this combo was a 9 foot sevengill shark approaching 300lbs. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 5:30 PM, Fishjerk said:

I can’t speak on the new battalion II, but I use the original battalion and penn prevail 4-10 to shark fish. Standard Payload is 6 oz lead with 1/2 mac. Total payload is usually between 10-12 oz. Never had an issue or felt that i was overloading the rod. Largest shark on this combo was a 9 foot sevengill shark approaching 300lbs. 

Fantastic... what did the rest of your setup consist of? I pulled the trigger on the Battalion based off of this comment by the way, so thanks for your input. My biggest fear was hooking a shark bigger than what I was equipped for, but I guess this'll do more than fine. It should arrive next week, very excited!

1 hour ago, PistolPeteFL said:

Fantastic... what did the rest of your setup consist of? I pulled the trigger on the Battalion based off of this comment by the way, so thanks for your input. My biggest fear was hooking a shark bigger than what I was equipped for, but I guess this'll do more than fine. It should arrive next week, very excited!

I use penn fathom 30’s loaded with around 350 - 400 yds of 65 lb braid. Sevengills don’t fight as much as blacktips etc on the east coast do. But I have landed California bat rays approaching 150 lbs making 100yd + runs without any issue on these combos as well with around 20 lbs of drag. There is always the chance you will hook something that exceeds what your equip can handle. I was totally unprepared for that big sevengill. I was fishing solo in pitch black night. Trying to safely land a 9ft shark while juggling a surf rod was an exercise. Think I sat in the chair for about 30 minutes afterwards recuperating and trying to decide if I wanted to cast another bait in the water.