17 posts in this topic

What does the Fall migration look like in the Seacoast area?  are there any rules of thumb when the bigger fish start to leave and then schoolies etc?  There is definately a lot of buzz and excitement here about their arrival in the spring- but when do they start to move out and what does that look like?  

 

First Year fishing for Stripers  in the Seacoast, Reading threw this years and previous years threads have been really helpful-  Thanks for all of the shared information, I hope to be in a position to pass it on at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Past few years what I've mostly found is small pods on peanuts popping up for a minute or do, then 50 yds. down the beach, etc. Often right at the edge of what I can hit with a fly, but sometimes just beyond, so as an example say 200' off the beach just beyond the surf line. You can see them coming, so I have a few spots where I know they come in closer and I just wait there tilll the peanuts start to mix with birds, then it's party time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping for a good fall run, as June was such a great month (July and August have been awful for me).   I'm optimistically figuring that if the fish came up my way in June they have to eventually go back down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year just feels so different from pat years, really warm water temps, very slow fishing, really hoping to see some topwater fall action. Unfortunately haven’t really seen any of those mid sized 34-40” class fish which usually make for a blast during the fall run, the bigger sized fish are out there and the micros but just strange/disappointing lately, hopefully that’ll change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

This year just feels so different from pat years, really warm water temps, very slow fishing, really hoping to see some topwater fall action. Unfortunately haven’t really seen any of those mid sized 34-40” class fish which usually make for a blast during the fall run, the bigger sized fish are out there and the micros but just strange/disappointing lately, hopefully that’ll change.

Sure and the hell been a sad year, been spiraling down now for a good 12 years or so, I really don't see it changing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great question this is the right place for answers !!!

 

This has been a strong year so fingers crossed it will continue here in the coming weeks. My friends and I have caught more 35”+ fish this year than any year since 2005. I say this because I think we should be wise to set up where we expect these fish to be on their way home. 

 

I would suggest spots where deeper troughs come within casting distance of shore. This will keep those busting fish within casting distance. 

 

I would also say TRUST your gut. Sometimes  tried and true advice isn’t tried and true today. This is clear when people say they are having a slow year. Need to LEARN and try new things !!!

 

On this note please keep LEARNING about the fishery and protecting it for future generations !!! This is a highest calling for us all !!! Good luck out there send me a private note for more specific info and spots !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked out one of my favorite fall run spots on Sunday I saw several pods of peanuts I think thats what they are the bait is no bigger then my pinky nail and silver. I seen mostly schoolie sized fish harassing them but seen the back of a very large striper feeding must have been 40”+ but I couldn’t but a bite on top water.. heart breaking but this spot consistently produces activity like this for a few weeks once I start seeing this activity so I’m excited to hopefully get into some nice fish here at home. What are you guys using for lures on spinning gear when the bait is so tiny and abundant? I was using the smallest atoms poppers had a few fallows but these fish are some of the pickiest hardest fish to catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try finding a fly or small soft plastic that looks similar to the small bait. Run that as a teaser in front of a bigger plug. When there’s tinny bait, bigger bait, like macs, can be present too. A Mac sp chasing a small teaser fly could get it done. If you really want to increase your odds, fish at night, and maybe run a teaser ahead of a live eel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bmackerel said:

...and maybe run a teaser ahead of a live eel

Adding a hook and extra line in front of a live eel?  I seriously question that setup which seems to be a recipe for more than the normal "live eel" tangles tango.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

Sure and the hell been a sad year, been spiraling down now for a good 12 years or so, I really don't see it changing...

Yeah true :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cobblestone said:

Checked out one of my favorite fall run spots on Sunday I saw several pods of peanuts I think thats what they are the bait is no bigger then my pinky nail and silver. I seen mostly schoolie sized fish harassing them but seen the back of a very large striper feeding must have been 40”+ but I couldn’t but a bite on top water.. heart breaking but this spot consistently produces activity like this for a few weeks once I start seeing this activity so I’m excited to hopefully get into some nice fish here at home. What are you guys using for lures on spinning gear when the bait is so tiny and abundant? I was using the smallest atoms poppers had a few fallows but these fish are some of the pickiest hardest fish to catch.

Small sluggos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Adding a hook and extra line in front of a live eel?  I seriously question that setup which seems to be a recipe for more than the normal "live eel" tangles tango.  

 

 

Give it a whirl. Ice em down or just use a dead one if you get tangles. Might catch one of those baby sitters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Renegade6 said:

biggest thing I've learned in the last 10 years is that the fall run starts with the august moon

 

 

Starts with the new or full moon ? I would think the new moon but I have been striking out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmmm.   15 years ago for me the fall run was october..... now it seems to me that most of the big girls are getting active and getting moving  as soon as the new moon in august hits.  Not that they are all gone  by labor day by any means,  just that the fish seem to be gearing up, chowing down and heading out  2 months earlier than I used to plan on 15 years ago

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.