Looking for inexpensive meat options for cookout?

Rate this topic

Gonna have some peeps over for a Labor Day weekend cook out.

I typicly have done shoulder london broil which I have poked full of 100's of deep holes & marinated. I smoke low & slow, then rest, the sear it. Slice for sandwhiches on fresh kiser rolls w/ thinley sliced sweet onions & tiger sauce. Optional swiss cheese & or tomato slices. Also, have pre baked some chicken parts and finished them on the grill. Worked well & peeps have been pleased. 

Due to exceeding my fishing budget, an in-season NJ vaca & a house project my budget is tighter than usual. I'm looking for suggestions for less expensive options.

I have a generic big green egg & am partial to smoke, but don't wanna tend it for hours. Will also want options for those who don't want beef.

I'm reluctantly considering burgers & dogs (including some turkey or chicken dogs, again, for those who don't eat beef).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

JD

I can get shoulder steak for London Broil or 7 bone chuck steak for $2.49/lb. You aren't gonna find any cut of beef cheaper than that, not even ground beef for burgers (well, maybe 80/20 a bit cheaper on sale, which you should be using for burgers anyway.)

An alternative to beef would be rib pork pork, thick cut. (do not get sirloin chops or porterhouse chops, two many different muscles to contend with cooking correctly.) You can simply sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and grill about 4 minutes a side. Or you could use a pork/rib type rub on them and grill again about 3-4 minutes per side. Do not exceed 145 at the very top. 3rd option for the pork chops - you can cut a pocket in them, spread in some fresh crushed garlic, line the pocket with fresh basil, and then put in a thick slice of cheese of your choice. Use a toothpick to close the pocket. Then season as above (one of the two options) and grill about 4 minutes a side until the cheese melts. Rib pork chops can be found on sale at the supermarket for under $2 a pound. Of course last night I had heritage pork chops at $8/lb, but that is like an entirely different animal. Fresh Catch by me carries pork that is not heritage, but is a step above what you get in the supermarket. This week they are $2.99/lb, but last week were on sale for $1.99/lb.

And there is always chicken......................simple split whole chicken, or leg and breast quarters, put a rub on them, grill over indirect heat for an hour or so turning once or twice, then turn up the heat to crisp the skin and cook to 160, brush with BBQ sauce if you like. Takes very little attendance.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Yeah those pork loins are really cheap and feed a bunch of people.  I buy these super cheap hot dogs at hannaford here that I feed to the foxes, BarS brand $1.00 for 1lb package of 8 dogs. I've never eaten them but I imagine if you wrap a slice of bacon around them they are edible..lol  Depending on the chicken it can be really cheap, legs and thighs are easy to cook on the BBQ.  Hannaford here has a discounted meat section that is stuff just about to expire for cheap not sure if they have that option by you.  Make some cheap sides like potato or pasta salad to help fill them up. 

Buy yourself a Sirloin steak, do the below

literally the best sirloin steak i've ever had

041331011051_1.jpg.d.jpg1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder

3 tablespoons dried basil

1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes

1 teaspoon ground white pepper

1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)

1 teaspoon dried minced garlic (optional)

1. Place the soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, basil, parsley, and pepper in a blender. Add hot pepper sauce and garlic, if desired. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed.
  2. Pour marinade over desired type of meat. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Cook meat as desired.

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

8 hours ago, skinnywater said:

Yeah those pork loins are really cheap and feed a bunch of people.  I buy these super cheap hot dogs at hannaford here that I feed to the foxes, BarS brand $1.00 for 1lb package of 8 dogs. I've never eaten them but I imagine if you wrap a slice of bacon around them they are edible..lol  Depending on the chicken it can be really cheap, legs and thighs are easy to cook on the BBQ.  Hannaford here has a discounted meat section that is stuff just about to expire for cheap not sure if they have that option by you.  Make some cheap sides like potato or pasta salad to help fill them up. 

BarS, forget those. My wife bought a pack at a well respected meat market and both my dog and I got ill after eating them. There has to be a reason they're so cheap.

The Sultan of Sluggo

43 mins ago, bob_G said:

BarS, forget those. My wife bought a pack at a well respected meat market and both my dog and I got ill after eating them. There has to be a reason they're so cheap.

Yeah I don't doubt it. I wouldn't eat them personally but if you wanna feed a bunch of people cheap that'll do it. The grey foxes love em. 

25 mins ago, skinnywater said:

Yeah I don't doubt it. I wouldn't eat them personally but if you wanna feed a bunch of people cheap that'll do it. The grey foxes love em. 

This is the second time I got ill on them. Happened a year back and we blamed it on the potato salad. Anything that cheap has got to raise a red flag.

The Sultan of Sluggo