Wire For Fire

Talk to me about Mitchell 410a

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Got two of these for free .. they were crusty but looked barely used ... today I cleaned one up .. 100% mechanically sound .. could use a new bail spring but other then that everything more or less new .. never messed with a Mitchell before but soon as I cracked that side plate I see why some guys love them ... very cool design.. 

but i know nothing about the reel .. what year you guys think ? And any value ? I don’t think i would part wiTh them , just curious ..  one I prob let my son fish and the nicer of the two i hold on too .. 

oh and any tips to get that funk off the inside the spool? I got some off with just hot soap and water and a scrubby .. but still abunch in there from the saltwater and vintage mono on there 

A6829806-B52A-4ABA-94C2-7ED53792EDEE.jpeg

A11DCC37-38DB-4E71-AB7C-75B56504D967.jpeg

Edited by Wire For Fire

Posted (edited)

I have an old Black Mitchell 410 that was made in France since the mid 70's.    I use it on my 7' Fenwick Lunker Stick.   I still use that combo with 10# Mono when the Alligators show up in the spring.    I have caught up to 11# Blues on that rig and it is still going strong.    I love my Mitchells, I also have a few Mitchell 300's a Mitchell 308 and a Mitchell 408.   Love those reels,  

Edited by UncleJohn

19 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

I have an old Black Mitchell 410 that was made in France since the mid 70's.    I use it on my 7' Fenwick Lunker Stick.   I still use that combo with 10# Mono when the Alligators show up in the spring.    I have caught up to 11# Blues on that rig and it is still going strong.    I love my Mitchells, I also have a few Mitchell 300's a Mitchell 308 and a Mitchell 408.   Love those reels,  

Yes, sorry I can't help the OP, but I, too, am a vintage Garcia Mitchell lover.  I got a (black) 300 --made in France-- in the mid-sixties and loved it dearly.  Still have it, still in very good condition.  I think they are beautiful reels.