bonefishdick

Reflection Time

24 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2018 at 11:46 PM, bonefishdick said:

About the only thing they make is a shield so you can take a shower other than that there is nothing.

Fortunatly this area I was thinking of was more or less a summer doldrums place I would hit in the middle of the day to kill some time but I also had some unusual good luck at this spot.

BFD, God speed your recovery and return to the salt. 

That said, can you provide more information on the shield you refer to so we might make suggestions on something which can provide protection while wading? Lots of well intentioned DIY types here - maybe a good idea will result....

Tight lines....

Best of luck in your return home BFD.

I would think a manual inflating PFD is in order unless you already have one. On a rising tide it would keep you afloat. What about a neoprene wrap or gravel guard for the neck area. There may be something in a medical store used for wrapping limbs you can modify for your needs. Just trying to help because I want to see you out there again posting your great pics here and down in FLA. speedy recovery!

Since I have of late seen several jeep-type vehicles driving around with long conspicuous SNORKELS sticking way up in the air......presumably to get them thru the deeper spots when global warming/rising sea levels gets to the UNdeniable stage......I envisioned the same thing for you.

But.....alas.......no.......won't work (well, anyway) since the car breath is a one way constant inhale process compared to the human, back and forth, INhale-EXhale so the snorkel creates a larger reservoir of what is called "dead space"...UNrefreshed stale air that must be inhaled with each breath until new, fresh air is finally reached.  Tolerable if added dead space is small.  The other problem is a reliable, fool-proof connection.

For what it is worth....which is very little.....salt water is a smidgeon better tolerated physiologically than fresh water.

I think your better answer is something that allows you to walk on water.  Maybe one of those "boat" things I have heard about.

No problem buddy that's why God graced me with a boat. Look forward to getting out on it with you again next season!

No problem on needing to be careful about tripping in the water dick. Look forward to getting you back out of my boat next season!

On 8/20/2018 at 11:57 PM, flyrodder44 said:

BFD:  To a much lesser extent, I can empathize with your situation.  The day before my heart attacked me a week or so ago, I was fishing alone in a river some distance from my car.  Had it happened on THAT day, I would have been in deep muck.  My wife will never allow me to fish alone again and that will take some getting used to since it will limit the experience to some degree.  I guess it is better to still take to the waters rather that them finding me washed down in the Great South Bay.  

I use a wading stick to get me into some of the more dicier places since I had a total knee done a year ago.  I use an easily extendable retractor so, while I am fishing, I can sling the stick over my shoulder so it is out of the way.  Just a thought.

Take care and keep up the fight.  We are all behind you.

FR

I had 4 heart attaches among other things and I can tell you that the fishing alone thing might be in force for awhile but it will pass.

I think the shower thing is a practical thing, how it fits will be the issue.

i do have a inflatable life jacket but I can’t remember the last time I used it.

I think discretion is the best aide I have at this point in my career, I too had 4 Hess art attacks but it never got me restricted where I could not fish alone and I don’t  that happening this time either.

My approach this time will be the same same as before and just go slow and build up the the stamina

Go Slow is better than No Go:  I agree with both Dick and Brian.  As time goes on and age catches up to us, with all the health issues that tag along, just to have a rod in hand on the shoreline being there are more important than anything else. I have come to realize the wisdom in the old saying: "When the devil wants to get you, he sends a doctor."