bonefishdick

Reflection Time

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I think one of the things I have had on hand is time to think about how things have changed for me, I am not talking so much about the physical aspects of things, I had plenty of time to come to grips with all of that before hand.

As a shore fisherman it was in many cases once I got to the water it was just  matter of wading right in. That is when I started to think about many of the places I now fish that I will feel perfectly safe since I will be the one doing the fishing.

In most cases I can just keep myself at minimum depth in the event of a slip and fall in the water.

There were days when we all felt invinceable and would risk life and limb to get to fish, somtimes I feel I am lucky to still be around when I think about it.

What made me think about the one thing about wading to some favorite places was the water I had to wade that was never a concern if I tripped and fell, all it meant was I would not drown it only meant I would get wet.

The thing that suddenly hit me today is that what I have to guard against is now with a Stoma in the bottom of my neck is that it’s is a direct path to the lungs and water and lungs are like water and oil, they don’t mix.

I hated it when I lost access to places, loosing access to some places because of a self imposed limit wil be tough but that is only if I am flying solo so it’s not a total loss.

I will finally get to go home this coming Friday the 24th.

Dick surely solo or not you can’t risk getting water into your system. I understand we can drown with very little water inside our lungs.

Sorry for dumb question but is there any way the docs can make you something that gives you good protection.

Good to see you are planning your way back.

Mikey

Posted (edited) · Report post

About the only thing they make is a shield so you can take a shower other than that there is nothing.

Fortunatly this area I was thinking of was more or less a summer doldrums place I would hit in the middle of the day to kill some time but I also had some unusual good luck at this spot.

Edited by bonefishdick

Posted (edited) · Report post

I commend you on your perseverance in getting back into the game that you both enjoy and live for  so quickly.

Of course your current medical situation has changed your previous normal routine of doing what we do. Take it slow relearn your new limitations and adjust to them as your new normal routine.

Be cautious, take rest breaks and adapt the conditions to the new you. You already possess the knowledge and desire to continue your  previous routine.  Be well and go for it.   , .

Regards,  FT

Edited by Fishin Technician
spelling

Hey Dick,

I have never seen you use a wading staff, but perhaps this would at least be the time to think about using one. Maybe to just help keep you balanced if you slip on something in the water.

MJM

Glad you are getting home.  You need a partner or a driver, let me know- I'll take a day an drive down.  I have had two incidents this summer:  One involved mud; the other rock.  Of the two, the mud was scarier; the rock more painful.  I fish alone most of the time and after these two incidents; I'm MUCH more careful. 

I'm lucky enough to still be fishing at age 85. Balance isn't what it once was, but a wading staff makes it possible to safely navigate water and terrain that would otherwise be off limits. The staff is like a third leg - gives solid purchase and confidence in rocky New England waters and southern flats. Highly recommended.

Glad to hear your headed home, you'll be back at it before you know it.  There's a lot of easy wading spots that are really productive, especially in Sanibel.  Here's some inspiration from the weekend South Jersey style, 20ft from the car, on a schminnow...

5.jpg

BFD:  To a much lesser extent, I can empathize with your situation.  The day before my heart attacked me a week or so ago, I was fishing alone in a river some distance from my car.  Had it happened on THAT day, I would have been in deep muck.  My wife will never allow me to fish alone again and that will take some getting used to since it will limit the experience to some degree.  I guess it is better to still take to the waters rather that them finding me washed down in the Great South Bay.  

I use a wading stick to get me into some of the more dicier places since I had a total knee done a year ago.  I use an easily extendable retractor so, while I am fishing, I can sling the stick over my shoulder so it is out of the way.  Just a thought.

Take care and keep up the fight.  We are all behind you.

FR

On 8/19/2018 at 7:43 PM, bonefishdick said:

BFD; Remarkable perseverance & spirit you have.  Glad things went well enough.

“....with a Stoma in the bottom of (your) neck (that’s) a direct path to the lungs”, have your doctors any suggestions about how to prevent or (ugh) deal with the inhalation of mosquitoes, noseeums, etc?  Can you use a neck gaiter or something? 

Concerned that inhalation of a bug would prompt a coughing fit which, in turn, might distract your focus on balance when standing in water.  Just a thought.... RL2TF 

53 mins ago, RetiredLearning2ThinkFish said:

First - glad you are making progress Dick! To folliw on the shield part, my dry top has a latex neck gasket that keeps water out entirely. Nit great in heat but might work...

The stoma is actually bug proof, it has a cap that covers the opening that is replaced every day that any bug would be hard pressed to get into.

i have long gotten over what other people think about how I look, there are some things like this situation is, it is what it is.

i have taken to wearing a Buff, long before this and I suspect I will be wearing them more often.