KSantangelo

Loading Redfins

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Loading up our redfins in prep for our trip to CH next month. I’ve noticed that the new ones we bought are lighter than the old school ones we’ve got. We’ve been weighing and floating them to make sure they’re loaded right, but it definitely makes it more difficult when they don’t consistently weigh the same.

PS - I have all the syringes because my dog is diabetic, not because I have a raging drug problem :)

CF453850-A2FB-4F80-99B0-19F0E520E06C.jpeg

I found the newer ones to be lighter too. The plastic is differedt. I load with shot typically. I always look for the old ones when I can find them especially the rough finished ones but the new ones are fine too. At best there might be 1/2 dozen lures on the planet that could come close to a redfins fish catching abilty and I am being optimistic. The bucktail is really the only other lure I put that high. Best of luck on your trip!!!!!

I'm going to try shot next time. Water seems to just disappear...thru micro cracks i guess. And mineral oil leaks too...unlike water it makes a mess when it does.

Edited by blackdogfish

The new ones are different but they are still very effective. If you are going to weight them don’t forget to seal the hook hangers and nose wire. I have found Zap-a-Gap glue to be the best for doing this. Just a drop on each wire seems to do the job. Also, I have found water to be the best weighting method. I know some will disagree but it’s easy especially if you have a syringe . Make a small hole ( with drill) near top of head above eye and fill plug with water until it’s reaches 10 or 11 ccs. That should give you a Redfin between 1 1/8and 1 1/4 oz on postal scale. Then seal hole with tooth pick with one end coated with Zap-a-Gap on end. Jam the pick in and let dry then cut off the pick flush with surface of plug. Put a drop of glue over top of pick. Finally, for best result change out hooks and split rings to VMC 4X 3/0s and Owner Hyper wire split rings size#7. Good luck

Edited by VanStaalSteve

On 8/19/2018 at 5:22 PM, redfin said:

I found the newer ones to be lighter too. The plastic is differedt. I load with shot typically. I always look for the old ones when I can find them especially the rough finished ones but the new ones are fine too. At best there might be 1/2 dozen lures on the planet that could come close to a redfins fish catching abilty and I am being optimistic. The bucktail is really the only other lure I put that high. Best of luck on your trip!!!!!

What size "shot" ( birdshot? ) should be used and what amount ( grams/ounces ) should be loaded in the plug? 

15 mins ago, JerseySurf said:

What size "shot" ( birdshot? ) should be used and what amount ( grams/ounces ) should be loaded in the plug? 

I used #8 lead birdshot. Some guys would also use .177 bb's. As far as weight/amount I would load them and test in a bucket to where the lip was parallel to the water line.

The search engine on this site is your friend. There's a bunch of other threads on this topic 

30 bb's for the 7" redfin with a shot of wd-40 so they don't stick together. Don't forget to put some epoxy around the hook hangers and the nose loop to thwart any leaks.

42 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

30 bb's for the 7" redfin with a shot of wd-40 so they don't stick together. Don't forget to put some epoxy around the hook hangers and the nose loop to thwart any leaks.

That's a rocket now, l do 22 to 25.

3 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Yeah, I should have done that first to one of my cheap flea market beaters before I loaded it with mineral oil. I mentioned this to my uncle and he said I should put bunker oil in the plug since it's leaking. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, JerseySurf said:

Yeah, I should have done that first to one of my cheap flea market beaters before I loaded it with mineral oil. I mentioned this to my uncle and he said I should put bunker oil in the plug since it's leaking. 

I will go against popular opinion and say that in my opinion 100% of RF's loaded with any type of oil will leak. Don't take my word for it, just take any oil loaded plug and put it seam down on top of your wife's favorite sweater or blouse and leave it on a sunny window sill or warm radiator for a day and see for yourself

Edited by SC

Loaded redfins are a very deadly lure !

i remove hangers and thru wire them load them with bb,s to 11/2oz then inject them with foam to keep the water out ! My buddy Ted does a really nice job doing this they look better than out of the package.

On 8/19/2018 at 7:36 PM, VanStaalSteve said:

The new ones are different but they are still very effective. If you are going to weight them don’t forget to seal the hook hangers and nose wire. I have found Zap-a-Gap glue to be the best for doing this. Just a drop on each wire seems to do the job. Also, I have found water to be the best weighting method. I know some will disagree but it’s easy especially if you have a syringe . Make a small hole ( with drill) near top of head above eye and fill plug with water until it’s reaches 10 or 11 ccs. That should give you a Redfin between 1 1/8and 1 1/4 oz on postal scale. Then seal hole with tooth pick with one end coated with Zap-a-Gap on end. Jam the pick in and let dry then cut off the pick flush with surface of plug. Put a drop of glue over top of pick. Finally, for best result change out hooks and split rings to VMC 4X 3/0s and Owner Hyper wire split rings size#7. Good luck

As of late, I substitute a VMC 4X 4/0 treble on the belly of my loaded Red fins instead of a 3/0. It's a much stronger hook than the 3/0 imo. It doesn't alter the action of the plug either.