Jared74

Lowrance Tripleshot on Hobie

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys. My original Hook5 crapped out so just got the newer version with the Tripleshot transducer. There’s the hobie mounting solution that leaves it exposed on the bottom of the kayak. Anyone have any comments pro or con? Is there a better mounting option? What do you guys do when transporting (pickup bed) to prevent the transducer from getting damaged? Thanks in advance and tight lines all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, Surfinator said:

I use the Berley Pro cover..no problems.

Didn’t know about that one. I like that much better. And you don’t feel the cover interferes with the sensitivity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope not at all..There some videos out there where you can see the images with the cover on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, Jared74 said:

Didn’t know about that one. I like that much better. And you don’t feel the cover interferes with the sensitivity?

 

I'm running two of the same Side Imagine transducers in two separate kayaks. One covered by the Berley Pro and one Uncovered. Absolutely no Difference in signal.

 

I would still drill holes in the Berley Pro cover for sand and other debris to stay flushed and not built up. It will not weaken the cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, The Riddler said:

I would still drill holes in the Berley Pro cover for sand and other debris to stay flushed and not built up. It will not weaken the cover.

Yes..Im planning on doing that this fall..How big of a hole do you suggest ? Im guessing at least 1/8" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, The Riddler said:

 

I'm running two of the same Side Imagine transducers in two separate kayaks. One covered by the Berley Pro and one Uncovered. Absolutely no Difference in signal.

 

I would still drill holes in the Berley Pro cover for sand and other debris to stay flushed and not built up. It will not weaken the cover.

Good idea. Any issues with transport? I saw the pic on the ad for the cover and it seems like it sits flush enough to lay flat in the truck bed without putting too much weight on the transducer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do anything special. Just put on the cover drill about 8 holes with a 3/8" bit and be done. It's not complicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not a fan of how big the physical unit is at times, but def get yourself Lithium batteries to cut down on the weight. I can run the unit for 10 hours on a 10ah lithium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jared74 said:

Hey guys. My original Hook5 crapped out so just got the newer version with the Tripleshot transducer. There’s the hobie mounting solution that leaves it exposed on the bottom of the kayak. Anyone have any comments pro or con? Is there a better mounting option? What do you guys do when transporting (pickup bed) to prevent the transducer from getting damaged? Thanks in advance and tight lines all. 

I have the Hook5 now.  What do you think of the Hook2 compared to it?  How do you like the sidescan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

I have the Hook5 now.  What do you think of the Hook2 compared to it?  How do you like the sidescan?

I can’t answer as I just got it yesterday. Perhaps Riddler or someone else using it could. It also seems Lowrance has taken some of the adjustability out in favor of a more ‘auto’ set up. Curious to know how that works or are guys still adjusting the settings manually. 

 

12 hours ago, EliasV said:

I’m not a fan of how big the physical unit is at times, but def get yourself Lithium batteries to cut down on the weight. I can run the unit for 10 hours on a 10ah lithium.

Ive been using the Hobie battery they sell since mounting is easy and it comes with a charger. Now I’m worried the charger is bad as no matter how long I leave it connected to the battery the light stays red, never goes to green to state the battery is charged. Any other good battery options out there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont get the "weight" issue.  Are you trying to fly the kayak?  You take battery out of hatch, put it in vehicle for travel...then at the landing...you carry battery to kayak and put it into hatch.  Yeah...if you're using a truck lead battery...OK.  But a 9 AH sealed lead acid weighs like four pounds....why is that a problem? Does it slow you down noticably when underway? Is it difficult to carry four pounds from truck to kayak?  Is it worth five times the cost to reduce weight?  Im scratching my head on this.

 

If the argument is that you can discharge it further than 50% without harming longevity....sure...definitely a good point. Maybe worth the money...but saving weight?  Personally I cant notice a performance\maneuverablity difference if i leave the battery at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ll probably be using two lead acid batteries to run the hook 2 TS. That’s a bit of weight, then a battery box and then the unit. Depends what you do to rig it. 20lbs worth of Electronics. I notice the difference in rough water. Especially

since I keep my battery at the bow. But maybe I’m crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice every once dragging through sand. I’ll second the 1.5 lb lithium.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.