tomkaz

Rib Eye Roast on Grill Rotisserie ?

23 posts in this topic

My late mother in law was good about buying expensive meat cuts on sale and freezing them. We have been slowly making our way through her freezer. Roasting a turnkey great right now and planning to do a rib-eye road tomorrow. Price tag says $94 but she probably paid half. 

My folks used to roast almost anything on a spit on their old Coleman gas grill. Beef with and without bones, lamb legs chickens, hens, kabobs, ec. To date, I have only done a few chickens because we’ve had multiple big ovens and air conditioning. So this is "new" even though I did my parents' over 40 years ago.

Eight pound rib-eye roast which looks like it has "only" two bones with three string wraps between the bones. 

I have no concerns about getting it on the spit. I was planning a simple salt and pepper seasoning but I am open to suggestions. 

Also, what temperature should I try to maintain? 

Drip pan? 

Anything else? 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, flysully said:

Tom, at that price, I'd play it safe and cook it in the oven:)

Yeah, but on the other hand.....

Go for it.  The thing about a good piece of meat is that it’s hard to screw up, just don’t over cook it.   It’s going to take some time so I’d try moderate heat like 325-350.   My experience with rotisserie is on a drum smoker, direct over charcoal.  Only problem was trying to run really hot and mucho grease.   Dumpster fire. You got that covered especially if you can avoid middle burner. 

I’d cover that sucker with garlic and rosemary though. 

And so it begins. Two hours of rest at room temp. 

image.jpg.3ce1cdfda80c22fe083a63088fb2c63d.jpg

Personally I would keep the heat down to the low end of what Jim said.......perhaps even only 280-300. This will help cook it evenly from the perimeter to the center. You can "sear" it the last 10 minutes by cranking the heat.

You didn't say charcoal or gas, so that may not be as easy as it sounds. ;)

And remember, you are definitely gonna have carryover cooking, and with this method, it may be considerable. So just be sure to pull it to your liking.

Posted (edited)

984A9D48-312C-411F-A52A-C8EF8ED58E27.mp4

Having trouble keeping it at 325 or lower, even with two burners and low heat. Propped open with a brick now, see if that works. Otherwise going to kill one burner but Leary of doing that. 

3171A597-719A-4FBE-A12E-DFB247B80CB2.png.448dc0a7120f1f640e3b845edc3093ad.png

Edited by tomkaz

Assuming 20 minutes to rest, I should expect tented after-heat cooking worth 5-10 degrees. 

What is is my goal internal temp for medium rare?  Recipes on line are all over the place from pulling off st 120* to 135*, these letter one seems awfully high. 

Looks pretty good at this point in time.   I'd still keep a fire extinguisher handy though.  :rav:

Geez that crust looks good, I would eat that right now.........

(Not the roast, just that "skin" ) ;)

Posted (edited)

6 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Assuming 20 minutes to rest, I should expect tented after-heat cooking worth 5-10 degrees. 

What is is my goal internal temp for medium rare?  Recipes on line are all over the place from pulling off st 120* to 135*, these letter one seems awfully high. 

May be as high as 15 degrees. But that also is gonna depend on the temp that you pull it. A lower pulling temp, maybe only 5 degrees carryover. A higher one, you will get as much as the 15 degrees.

Hard to say on done temp, cause as you have found, everyone has a different definition of medium rare. Donna and I tend to the rare side, so I like a 115-120 finish temp in the very center and call that "just under medium rare" 115 being rare. 

I would consider 125 medium rare......but others will say different.

Is funny with something like this that even as little of 3-4 degrees can play  a big role in results to different folks and their tastes.

Edited by Steve in Mass

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Geez that crust looks good, I would eat that right now.........

(Not the roast, just that "skin" ) ;)

Montreal Steak Seasoning so the “skin” is soooo salty goodness. 

image.jpg.3df8607617759f0dd4c97637c87cb6fe.jpg