capri_auto

Monksville lake trout, any sightings/ catches?

29 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

The few trout that wash down the Wanaque get eaten up immediately. The musky's are waiting for them at the mouth of the discharge.... 

Big walleyes, big bass and cormorants are right there too.

24 mins ago, capri_auto said:

Nice work! I haven't targeted walleye yet, but have chased muskie in there with some success. Any additional info on the catch would be great. What was in that fat belly?

Nothing at all in the stomach.  Empty.  It had a lot of white fat and the fillets were huge for that size fish in August.  About 2lbs of fillets before cleaning out the bones.

It was a slow death rig that tricked this fatty.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:25 PM, metaliczombi said:

Nothing at all in the stomach.  Empty.  It had a lot of white fat and the fillets were huge for that size fish in August.  About 2lbs of fillets before cleaning out the bones.

It was a slow death rig that tricked this fatty.

Do you fish up there a lot? I used to live between the Monksvillle and Greenwood lake. I know where the musky ambush the suckers in the spring in Greenwood Lake. Same place every year. It is a massacre...

On 10/21/2018 at 8:05 PM, EricJ said:

Do you fish up there a lot? I used to live between the Monksvillle and Greenwood lake. I know where the musky ambush the suckers in the spring in Greenwood Lake. Same place every year. It is a massacre...

It's in the rotation.  One of the coolest experiences I've had fishing at Monskville happened one spring when I was up in the trees at the mouth of the Wanaque and I noticed school after school of walleye swimming up the river.  The "river" section was full, bank to bank, of walleyes.  It was amazing.  There were muskie's mixed in too but nothing was responsive to lures.  I should've taken notes on the date and water temp of it but I didn't write it down.

Edited by metaliczombi
I like turtles.

33 mins ago, metaliczombi said:

It's in the rotation.  One of the coolest experiences I've had fishing at Monskville happened one spring when I was up in the trees at the mouth of the Wanaque and I noticed school after school of walleye swimming up the river.  The "river" section was full, bank to bank, of walleyes.  It was amazing.  There were muskie's mixed in too but nothing was responsive to lures.  I should've taken notes on the date and water temp of it but I didn't write it down.

I like that spot and on the rare occasion when I made the drive back to that area (I live in monmouth county now), I always head right to that spot first. It is a great ambush point as long as the water level is high enough

5 hours ago, Plug Em All said:

Haven't fished skunksville in so many years maybe in 2019 will def give it a try for old times sakes. 

Still no fish in it!!!!:hooked:

On 12/14/2018 at 9:34 PM, metaliczombi said:

Caught a few more funny looking lake trout from Skunksville.....Here's one of them

IMG_20181209_1622136 crop.jpg

That’s a cool and tasty looking laker there MZ... :-)

Never did much from shore there but always knew of big fish being there. All in all the area in general has a lot of good fishing. Small/medium ponds, large/medium lakes a lot of options up there for most things NJ freshwater.