capri_auto

Monksville lake trout, any sightings/ catches?

29 posts in this topic

I know they stocked a lot of lake trout in Monksville Res.  Has anyone targeted them? I'm probably going to try out of curiosity, but wanted to know if anyone else has had any success there. I know a lot of folks claim the musky ate them all, but I don't really buy that.

I've gotten skunked there enough times to get where you're coming from, but it's LOADED with quality fish. Just curious to see if someone gotten a laker outa there. I know the bass and Muskie are great. I also know there are BIG walleye in there.

I used to live 2 miles from there and almost purchased one of the few houses that borders the reservoir. Tough fishing. Vic is not the only one who calls it skunksville.

Just now, capri_auto said:

I've gotten skunked there enough times to get where you're coming from, but it's LOADED with quality fish. Just curious to see if someone gotten a laker outa there. I know the bass and Muskie are great. I also know there are BIG walleye in there.

I was there the day the state record musky was caught through the ice. Yes, there are nice fish in there. I would probably go over to the area over near the dam (deep) and drop shot a live shiner. Especially if you are thinking about fishing in the heat of the summer.

No.  The answer is no.  Those lakers became food for the walleye's, musky and cormorants.  Never heard of anyone catching a laker.  It's a nice lake but in the last two years it's become infested with kayakers and paddle boarders.  They fill the south lot and make it such a pain to move a trailer around. 

Edited by metaliczombi

People do still call it Skunksville haha. I stopped calling it that once I caught the Muskie in my avatar. Small mouth fishing is very good too. I hear you about the paddlers, I'm one of them ( fishing kayak). I normaly fish the cool weather months and the lake is very quiet. As for the lakers, I am going to try for them. September would be a good month since they will be concentrated in the deep holes, if they still exist. They stocked up until 2013 and merril creek also has musky.. A friend of a good friend said he saw a large laker cruising shallow after ice out. Maybe it was an eye? I intend to find out.

12 hours ago, DaveC said:

They turned that fishery from a coolwater to a warm water quite some time ago.  I don't think the trout are in there anymore.

?  How so?  

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

?  How so?  

They stopped stocking coolwater fish in there, hybrids, trout, salmon, etc.  The only one left is the musky which is doing well.  Other than that it is a warmwater fishery now.

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

?  How so?  

They stopped stocking trout in there years ago.  The musky and walleye would line up at the launches and have a feast.  Pretty to cool to watch them come up so shallow and eat the trout.   The only trout are the ones that get washed down the Wanaque but they don't last too long in the lake, water temps and depth are fine but the trout are candy to everything in Monksville.

35 mins ago, metaliczombi said:

They stopped stocking trout in there years ago.  The musky and walleye would line up at the launches and have a feast.  Pretty to cool to watch them come up so shallow and eat the trout.   The only trout are the ones that get washed down the Wanaque but they don't last too long in the lake, water temps and depth are fine but the trout are candy to everything in Monksville.

Thats the right move then, right?   Musky are amazing formidable predators, and like you said the trout are just candy.  Waste of $ time and resources to stock trout in a musky lake IMO.   I am sure musky will eat sunnies and bass just the same, right?  Are there carp/suckers in monksville? 

I was there a few times and remember watching them pour the concrete for it, but I dont know much about it otherwise.  I hooked and lost a musky while bass fishing there a few years ago.  It was surreal.  50' below the boat ramp, right by the parking lot, a surface rapala.  I was stunned.  Anyway...

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

Thats the right move then, right?   Musky are amazing formidable predators, and like you said the trout are just candy.  Waste of $ time and resources to stock trout in a musky lake IMO.   I am sure musky will eat sunnies and bass just the same, right?  Are there carp/suckers in monksville? 

I was there a few times and remember watching them pour the concrete for it, but I dont know much about it otherwise.  I hooked and lost a musky while bass fishing there a few years ago.  It was surreal.  50' below the boat ramp, right by the parking lot, a surface rapala.  I was stunned.  Anyway...

Musky will eat anything they can swallow. No shortage of fish in Monksville, even with Musky present. Plenty of crappie, SM, LM, Walleye, sunnies... The amount of forage in there is incredible. The fish are well fed, that's for sure. I figure if no one actually tried to catch lake trout in there, there is no way to know for sure. 

6 hours ago, 55555s said:

Definitely the right move for the trout guys who were complaining about the trout being eaten.  There's a bunch of food for them to eat including large herring.