Worm/weightless craw rod

Fish it all

Looking for a worm weightless craw rod 100-170 price range .

6-8" to 7-0 mh casting , ideally 3/16 or 1/4 to 3/4oz .

Looking for something with a softer tip but still have some decent backbone .

Rod I have now is a dobyns fury mh , weight range goes from 1/4 up to 2oz and its a bit too stiff and won't load properly with unweighted plastics.

I have been looking online at rod specs but just wanted to see what others have experience with.

Thanks .

Edited by Fish it all

I fish a lot of weightless stuff, and I think you might be looking for something that doesn't exist. For weightless I use a 7'0" St Croix Legend Elite. med, 3/16-1/2

Plenty of backbone, good casting with braid and a floro top shot.

I also have a Loomis that has the specs you're looking for, and can't throw weightless any distance with it, that one is 5/16-5/8 Maybe try the next one down from that in the ES6. I find the Loomis to be a bit stiffer than the St Croix. run you a bit more than your budget at around 190.00  But it might be the answer.

And I'm selling another legend elite the is 6'6" MH  that can't throw weightless at all. Lots of backbone, but not a soft tip.

My son uses St Croix Mojo med action 7'0" I think it is for weightless but too soft for my liking. though he has caught some slobs with it.

I use 10lb suffix 832

If you're a Dobyns guy, then the Savvy 703C is your rod. It has the micro guides, is rated 1/4-3/4. I fish Dobyns rods exclusively, and it is the perfect rod for what you describe. I fish it alot with weightless, Texas rigged Senkos, and it also does well with small finesse jigs. The tip is very soft, and has a ton of backbone. Definately recommend you check it out, you won't be dissapointed.

You may have a tough time throwing unweighted plastics with a MH. However, I have gotten away with using the St Croix Mojo Bass topwater rod. It’s medium/extra fast. The tip is very soft which will help you cast those unweighted baits. I used it for unweighted baits and worm Fishing up to 1/4oz, which wasn’t ideal, but it did ok. 

Another rod you may want to check out is Lews Speed Stick. They’re in the $120-140 range. I own four of them and I love them. Lightweight, super sensitive, good action. The 6’8” medium is an extremely vesatile rod. It has a mod/fast tip and plenty of backbone. You may have to work a little harder though to throw those unweighted craws, but it should work. I used this rod for just about everything from lightweight Texas rigs, spinnerbaits, and jigs.

I use a ML 7' Avid for weightless presentations.  Like it a lot.  I wouldnt describe the tip as soft at all, and I had a CNR on for a bit, during which it demonstrated a remarkable backbone, considering the mismatch.

Woops.  Saw you are looking for casting not spinning.  

Edited by 55555s

On 8/18/2018 at 9:10 AM, Fish it all said:

You should take a hard look at the Shimano Zodias 7'2 Medium. That particular rod has a med-fast taper, with a very lively tip to load up on unweighted plastics. And like all Shimano's Spiral X rods...incredibly strong backbone. The whole Zodias series have been sleepers imo...but that 7'2m is a standout, esp for your application. 

On 8/18/2018 at 9:10 AM, Fish it all said:

6-8" to 7-0 mh casting , ideally 3/16 or 1/4 to 3/4oz .

Looking for something with a softer tip but still have some decent backbone .

Rod I have now is a dobyns fury mh , weight range goes from 1/4 up to 2oz and its a bit too stiff and won't load properly with unweighted plastics.

I have been looking online at rod specs but just wanted to see what others have experience with.

Thanks .

Fish it all, i forgot that the Dobyns Savvy line, changed over to the Sierra line. It is identically the same rod, in case you research it in their website. It is listed as the Sierra Micro Guide Series. Sorry if you went searching for the Savvy already.

The 703c is actually the same rod specs from the fury series on up to the higher end series.

I have the fury flipping stick already actually one of my favorite rods, going to try the sierra see if its a much better buy.

Thanks.

Thanks Budda but I only use medium/moderate slow rods for cranking/ anything with trebles ,helps keep them pinned.

I try to keep mh rods for worms,  light jigs ,moderate frogging , boot tails and chatterbaits better hookset with a MH rod imo.

But I appreciate the reply and will check out that rod.

32 mins ago, Fish it all said:

Thanks Budda but I only use medium/moderate slow rods for cranking/ anything with trebles ,helps keep them pinned.

I try to keep mh rods for worms,  light jigs ,moderate frogging , boot tails and chatterbaits better hookset with a MH rod imo.

But I appreciate the reply and will check out that rod.

Fish, that 7'2m zodias is not a crankbait taper at all, definitely not a treble hook rod. For your application, in that price range...I can't think of a better rod tbh. Hopefully you get to handle one and let us know. The 6'10m is also labeled "med-fast" by Shimano, and it's another standout for lighter spinnerbaits/chatters and bigger jerkbaits. Crisp actions with a lively tip.

You'll have to define a bit more about your weightless weight range. Weightless finesse worm is quite different from a 5 inch senko. Generally speaking, you take a look at the lure range and throw away the top and bottom number, you'll get the true (comfortable) working range.  Take your mh fury for example, the true range I am guessing would be 1/2oz - 1.5oz. If the tip is soft enough with a moderate action, maybe 3/8oz on the lower range.