Some One is Listening

Rate this topic

Angler #1

On 8/18/2018 at 5:17 AM, Angler #1 said:

Todays Cape Cod Times has an article all about a blitz of fishing violations along the Cape Cod Canal and the Environmental Police catching the violators in numbers unlike the past years. With more then 50 violations this week alone from high grading, to many fish , poor catch and release, failure to display fish being hidden in the rocks, woods,garbage bags in discrete locations   undersized fish and this one for sure, a person buying fish from recreational fishermen and then going to a campground and reselling them at an inflated price. He is expected to go before the judge soon. They EPO's have been getting as many as 10 calls an day and also 10 calls an hour from concerned fishermen making reports.   They have even brought more officers to help in catching and writing violations given all of the many reports from many locations along the canal

Hopefully this recent increase of officers will have some impact on catching and slowing down these poachers of our resource along and inside the CCC:howdy::theman:

Good stuff thanks for sharing:)

Spent a couple days up there last week.  Why can't they put up a few trash cans along the path?  I understand carry in/carry out and there's no excuse for leaving trash behind, but at least a couple trash cans would help the situation for some of the slobs.  It was a shame to see piles of garbage left along the trail.  

"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"

21 mins ago, bido said:

Spent a couple days up there last week.  Why can't they put up a few trash cans along the path?  I understand carry in/carry out and there's no excuse for leaving trash behind, but at least a couple trash cans would help the situation for some of the slobs.  It was a shame to see piles of garbage left along the trail.  

There are trash cans, but they are “strategically” located lol jk I only know of 2 barrels.  At times I walk a good quarter mile to that nearest barrel I know of since I know there’s one close by.

24 mins ago, ibe333333 said:

There are trash cans, but they are “strategically” located lol jk I only know of 2 barrels.  At times I walk a good quarter mile to that nearest barrel I know of since I know there’s one close by.

Where do you find trash cans?  

I've seen them at RR Bridge Rec area (mainland), but no other locations jump to mind right now.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

2 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Where do you find trash cans?  

I've seen them at RR Bridge Rec area (mainland), but no other locations jump to mind right now.

Theres one at the antenna station on the cape side around pole 260 I think.  It’s kinda the midway point between the porter potty and I think just behind gallow’s.  That and at the railroad bridge cape side lot have at least a recycle canister, so I usually empty out plastic bottles and just throw them in.

6 mins ago, ibe333333 said:

Theres one at the antenna station on the cape side around pole 260 I think.  It’s kinda the midway point between the porter potty and I think just behind gallow’s.  That and at the railroad bridge cape side lot have at least a recycle canister, so I usually empty out plastic bottles and just throw them in.

Thanks for the reminders.

There are also a number of trash cans near the Bell Road parking areas (both to the L and to the R as one approaches the water).

Herring Run, of course.  Sag Rec Area (I think, but I don't go there much).

I don't recall seeing any at Gallo, which is a spot that could benefit from some.  

(Side note:  What might it cost to deploy and maintain say four trash barrels there for six months?)

ACOE/Visitors' Center parking area just W of sandwich jetty.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

The fixed trash containers were installed by the Corps only at "authorized" parking areas, typically those that have either  a visitor's center or restrooms.

As far as I know, the Corps won't deploy temporary barrels. They have to be permanent, like what you see now. I don't know if they'd be open to something less permanent and seasonal in other high traffic areas of the ditch.

Pfantum Pfishah

Over the years the placement of trash barrels along the canal has been a sore subject and remains so even today. The Army Corp for what ever reason has found it not to there advantage to install trash barrels other then the places they now do so. In some cases the barrels became a site issue when they were used by the public to discard household trash, who did not want to take it home after camping, along with fishermen who also used them to discard fish parts, bait and such rather then throw it in the water. I see folks using the dumpsters around town to dump there junk into that do not live here and in some cases they get a ticket when caught . The local business people pay good money to have the dumpsters maintained , only having to pay more because it is convenient to do so by others. I expect that the Corp is under some type of monetary guidelines as well and that is why for most you can find the barrels at the designated parking areas only, They have host campers that patrol the roads to pick up litter . I do not know if they patrol every mile on both sides , but my understanding is each Corp Camp site that host these campers has two teams that alternate duties to pick up trash , perhaps there is a breach in the system as a result of less barrels or non in some cases that needs to be further addressed by the Corp .

The trash barrels would need to be further secured from those who find it a lark to throw them in the water when they can and this might be a reason they will not deal with? Just like the Portable toilets that have been turned over or stuffed with dead racks and or bait some felt it fun to do . 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

I was fishing for a couple of hours last evening at the canal. I  noticed a couple of guys who were fishing had trash bags near them that were loaded up with cans, coffee cups, etc. 

If they were picking up trash as they were working their way along they canal that was cool. I'd like to say "thank you" to them for trying to improve the fishermen's image.

16 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I was fishing for a couple of hours last evening at the canal. I  noticed a couple of guys who were fishing had trash bags near them that were loaded up with cans, coffee cups, etc. 

If they were picking up trash as they were working their way along they canal that was cool. I'd like to say "thank you" to them for trying to improve the fishermen's image.

Probably NJ and NY guys picking up deposit cans and bottles for gas money to get home. :laugh:

The Sultan of Sluggo

32 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I saw a few full white trash bags along the bank just west of the run this morning. Didn't know if it was a ACOE cleanup effort or private individuals.

Either way I practice carry in carry out and normally leave with my back basket stuffed with others braid and DD cups.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

3 hours ago, mostly fly said:

How bout a little positivity over a good step being taken?

I agree with the much needed enhancements but as I stated, it will keep the honest people honest. I witnessed an EPO in his truck at the Rec Pier during an afternoon massacre about a month ago, people were walking back and forth to their vehicles with Striped Bass and the officer remained in his truck ... his presence didn't deter over harvesting or the throwing back of dead fish through greed or negligence. I stand by my original statement that more drastic measures need to be taken even with this much needed beefed up presence.

Don't stop ... Retrieving ...