Joe2143

Striper Fly Pattern Size

9 posts in this topic

I have been purchasing flies to fish for striped bass in the surf and back bays. I noticed that most of the actual flies are smallish in size, even when the fly is tied on a fairly large (size 3/0 and 4/0) hook. Is this "normal"? I have always fished large plugs for striped bass, but the use of small fly patterns  for the same size fish does not make sense to me(??). Am I missing something (besides a whole lot of experience fly fishing for striped bass)?

thank you for your input. Many an October night I've been standing in schools of spearing or silversides and have used my teasers only (similar to the sparse fly in frame #29) and had multiple fist fights 20-30lb stripers in less than three feet of water. Most of the flies that the members of my Club have tied for me are smallish and sparse, with just a strand or two of flash and I use them as teasers with unheralded success when everyone else was watching and not catching.

It just seems strange to this plug fisherman.

In the spring ,when shrimp get active,like May-June,I use a pattern that is only 1-1 1/4" on a #4 or 6 hook.Every year I am surprised all over again how big a fish will bother w/ that speck of feathers and fluff.Ditto for the thumbnail sized crab flies for flats fish.Or the skinny lil sand eels used in early summer.

Most of my flies are tied on size 1 or 1/0 and fall into the 3 to 4 inch range and are what I use day and night.

They are supplimented from there with a few flies that go up in size but they don’t see much use but they are around if I ahold need them

Posted (edited)

Last weekend I was on the Jersey shore talking to a regular. He said in the fall he has seen whales gorging on bait. He said he has been within 20' of whales charging up through a school of bunker with their mouths wide open and full of bunker. And there are stripers there too.

Just saw this:

Edited by smath
Update

16 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Humans even big fat ones eat peanuts.

Mike

Me, I like shelled sunflower seeds, but not a pound at a time :)

HT