obxdreamin

Penn Torque 5 purchase...handle play question

28 posts in this topic

I scored a gen 1 torque 5 from the big auction site a few days ago. I received it yesterday; it looks mint! However there seems to be a lot of play in the handle; not the handle knob, but the crank handle where it threads into the body. It feels pretty sloppy. I feel like this isn't normal. I tried to search for similar issues/solution/quick fixes on here but didn't find anything, forgive me if I overlooked a thread.

Can someone chime in if this is normal or if perhaps this was something that was messed up by the previous owner? shipping damage? etc

thanks!!! matt

1 hour ago, Local66 said:

It's not normal.

any recommendation for a fix? think it needs shims somewhere perhaps?

Posted (edited)

11 mins ago, obxdreamin said:

any recommendation for a fix? think it needs shims somewhere perhaps?

Nothing to shim if it's properly tightened. I'd send it in for factory service. It sounds like the person you bought it from liked to reel against the drag, possibly putting some wear on the main drive gear. There's zero play in mine, and it's old. If it's any consolation, penn service is pretty quick.

Edited by Local66

57 mins ago, Local66 said:

Nothing to shim if it's properly tightened. I'd send it in for factory service. It sounds like the person you bought it from liked to reel against the drag, possibly putting some wear on the main drive gear. There's zero play in mine, and it's old. If it's any consolation, penn service is pretty quick.

thanks, I'll call Penn and see what they say. it was supposedly serviced and not fished again before I bought it.

Posted (edited)

If it's the arm thay have gone way down in price,,,,,mystic reels or Scott's bait and tackle :laugh:

Edited by bennie

19 mins ago, bennie said:

If it's the arm thay have gone way down in price,,,,,mystic reels or Scott's bait and tackle :laugh:

the arm seems ok, it threads into the gear assembly tightly. So now that I think about it, I guess the play I'm feeling is the whole gear assembly moving???

there are supposed to be shims between the main gear and the handle. the idea is there needs to be a little play so that everything works smoothly and does not bind. if your reel feels like there is too much play then try adding shims one at a time until it feels ok. remember you do not want to take all the play out. there should be a little. sounds like when it was serviced the shims were misplaced. if that is your only issue you should be fine. ..........good luck

by the way that is my go to surf spinner. it is a lifetime reel

Posted (edited)

I have had little problems with my 5 to nothing major and have gotten lots of fish on it,,,I'm using right now

20180817_194507.jpg

Edited by bennie

1 hour ago, bennie said:

I have had little problems with my 5 to nothing major and have gotten lots of fish on it,,,I'm using right now

20180817_194507.jpg

I've been swimming for tarpon with mine for 6-7 years now. No issues other than a bearing in the handle knob. I switched mine out for an aftermarket knob and it's been great. Honestly, the only other spinning reel that's been this good to me for this long was my old daiwa saltiga Z5000, but I never took it swimming. I put 60-90lb tarpon on the torque 5 regularly this time of year. Mine is tight, zero play anywhere on the reel. If you're not pushing forward on the handle, you'd swear it was welded to the frame. There's an issue, instead of guessing what it might be, just send it in. No one here can make an educated diagnostic without actually putting our hands on it.

1 hour ago, mark d said:

there are supposed to be shims between the main gear and the handle. the idea is there needs to be a little play so that everything works smoothly and does not bind. if your reel feels like there is too much play then try adding shims one at a time until it feels ok. remember you do not want to take all the play out. there should be a little. sounds like when it was serviced the shims were misplaced. if that is your only issue you should be fine. ..........good luck

by the way that is my go to surf spinner. it is a lifetime reel

Thanks! I looked at a blowout diagram while I took both side plates off, I don’t see anything missing, but it looks like a shim/washer between the gear bearing and the side plate would alleviate the play. Now to find the right size....

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Local66 said:

I've been swimming for tarpon with mine for 6-7 years now. No issues other than a bearing in the handle knob. I switched mine out for an aftermarket knob and it's been great. Honestly, the only other spinning reel that's been this good to me for this long was my old daiwa saltiga Z5000, but I never took it swimming. I put 60-90lb tarpon on the torque 5 regularly this time of year. Mine is tight, zero play anywhere on the reel. If you're not pushing forward on the handle, you'd swear it was welded to the frame. There's an issue, instead of guessing what it might be, just send it in. No one here can make an educated diagnostic without actually putting our hands on it.

What kind of line do you run,,,how many yrds and what rod are you using :)

Edited by bennie

10 hours ago, bennie said:

What kind of line do you run,,,how many yrds and what rod are you using :)

I use 30lb invisibraid, I think I have close to 300yds on it. The rod is an abomination that I built in my kitchen. It's a St. Croix 5M90MHF built as a spinner. 2-3oz is where it loads best, but you can fish 4oz+ if you have the arm for it (I don't). 

20180323_205211.jpg

20180122_233935.jpg

20180123_094044.jpg