Drummerbeedude

On line distance casts online

32 posts in this topic

Sorry, the tica is 10’ , rated to eight ounces. Going to the beach tomorrow, going to get a few distance measurements to start with. Did some fishing today, guesstimate with the prevail was 110-120 yards, but it’s kinda hard to tell on the water. Tica was about 85-90 yards maybe, maybe less.

Posted (edited)

Tommy Farmer has some great vids on the steps to get the cast down. After that its  just a bunch of practice on the grass. 

Edited by Dsc

Hey guys, it's been a while since I have visited the SOL forum here.

Great thread.

Long before I ever caught the distance casting bug (sickness…lol), I was fishing 8nbait on the NC coast. I loved it and thought I was pretty good until I showed up at a real casting competition and saw guys walk 300 feet past my sinker…lol.

I was blessed to learn from some of the best casters in the USA and internationally. The guy that finally got through my rather hard head was Peter Thain. Peter is a friend, mentor and pound for pound one of the best casters I have ever cast with or competed against. He helped me to understand the physics behind the cast.

The secret to long distance is really rather simple, but hard to execute. You have to learn to accelerate the rod and the sinker through the largest possible arc that YOU can generate finishing with a burst of power and speed late. This is the reason a full pendulum or a full rotation ground cast will fly farther than a beach/hatteras cast. BIGGER ARC. Get the sinker moving, outside the tip and accelerate it as you get your body into the right position to smash it. Arms out and away from the body, left extended up and out, between your eyes and the target which is 45 degrees above your desired splashdown point.  LOOK UP to your target. At this point, punch hard with your right and pull hard to the left side of your chest (right hand caster) AIM HIGH CAST HIGH.

Start slow, accelerate the sinker and finish fast.

The hatteras cast is tricky because it happens fast. Toss back, turn and hit. The trick to the HC is the transition. Take the time and space needed to get your left arm pushed out and away from your body as you prepare to turn in. Arms out = bigger arc= bigger cast. LOOK UP 45 degrees is your target.

Contact me if you want more info/advice.

Tommy

I was just outside in the park practicing the low arc and high arc pendulum swings (not the full casts)

Over and over and over to get the timing right

Tiring....

Unfortunately, I do not have enough practice space at home for actual lead. I’ve been tempted to just shoot into my neighbors field, but it’s a meadow. Tough on gear. They wouldn’t care at all. So, I’ve only got about 100yrds. I’ve been using baseballs instead, and can usually hit that with the heavier gear. Anyways, aiming up was the biggest help so far. I found it hard to do with the hatteras and still load the rod right. It really helped with a sidearm cast though.

I guess that I want to work on the small details. I can outcast anybody I’ve ever met, except for an older fella that did competitive casting. He’s the one that got me started years ago. I’ve done otb, pendulum, and now hatteras, but I feel that I could refine them. I’m pretty much self taught. Anyways, Tommy, you mentioned keeping the sinker outside the tip. Is there any specific reason or technique for this or is it just a byproduct of the arc and centripetal motion?

I guess that I want to work on the small details. I can outcast anybody I’ve ever met, except for an older fella that did competitive casting. He’s the one that got me started years ago. I guess that sounds boastful, but maybe I’ve just never met anyone that can really cast! I’ve done otb, pendulum, and now hatteras, but I feel that I could refine them. I’m pretty much self taught. Anyways, Tommy, you mentioned keeping the sinker outside the tip. Is there any specific reason or technique for this or is it just a byproduct of the arc and centripetal motion?

If you've ever heard the term, "he hit it too early", then the sinker was most likely inside the tip. Let it go, let it accelerate through the arc. The centrifugal force will take over and add speed to the sinker before you ever apply the power. 

Ha! So I went to practice. Was working on the pendulum. Plan was to feel out each cast a little, then get my wife to video each to review. I used my tica , 10’ 2-8 oz with a baseball. It’s got 20# power pro, and a 65# power pro shock. Tried a pendulum. Forgot to check the drag. Drag slipped and now I’ve got some pretty good burns. Yay!

From your post, I assume you are using a spinner.  Even with the drag bottomed out, most of us still use finger guard with a spinner. When you load the rod as prescribed, the release with a spinner can be a rather sharp scrape across the finger.

Just a footnote - Noting that I will never be able to cast as far as a healthy individual who learns these casts, they have been invaluable to me in that, having lost the ability to punch with my right hand, I can nonetheless execute a pretty decent cast, whether throwing bait or lures, by deriving all my power thru pulling with my left arm and only using the right arm to guide and stop the rod.  By the way, thoughts of coiling up my body prior to casting also belong to years gone by. :howdy:

Good info here. much appreciated. I understand and can feel and see why the holden OTG cast works, with the weight placed on the ground under the rod. His diagrams are clear how the rod loads. I cast to fish though, so.. no OTG for me. What i have been experimenting with is to simulate the "under the rod" placement of the weight by pushing the rod away from me,and then allowing the weight to swing back under the rod, then start my cast. I can't quite get consistency on this. Any pointers/tips on timing, or the best way to achieve this? Is this even an advisable strategy? I use magged casting reels, 12.5 to 13 foot rods, 6-8 oz. THANKS! Jim J 

I’ve used otg casts with top and bottom rigs loaded with fish bites and squid, and also with fish finder rigs and cut bait. Never had a problem. But, you could try a hatteras cast. I’ve been using that on the beach some, although I’ve found the distance to be somewhat lacking. Most people cast too far though, I just fish in a group and we stagger our lines until we find fish. My goal is to be able to place baits outside the bar, that’s why I’m trying to improve so much.

Posted (edited)

JimJ,

Don't want to hijack the thread but ... Welcome to the club!!! I think everyone has had to deal with this dilemma in some way or another. Only way that I've found to learn "that feeling, that timing" is with my eyes closed or by practicing at night. The tough part is to remember how it feels when it's done right so you can attempt to simulate it repeatedly. What's worse is it changes with the weight of the presentation (weight). I guess it just comes down to patience, practice and experience. It's probably like learning to pitch a baseball, it all comes down to technique! It's frustrating as hell at times but worth the time and effort when it's right because it feels ohh so natural when it happens. I started learning this cast 13 years ago and am still frustrated to tears by the technique most of the time!

Edited by Swimbaiter
quick explanation

3 hours ago, Swimbaiter said:

JimJ,

Don't want to hijack the thread but ... Welcome to the club!!! I think everyone has had to deal with this dilemma in some way or another. Only way that I've found to learn "that feeling, that timing" is with my eyes closed or by practicing at night. The tough part is to remember how it feels when it's done right so you can attempt to simulate it repeatedly. What's worse is it changes with the weight of the presentation (weight). I guess it just comes down to patience, practice and experience. It's probably like learning to pitch a baseball, it all comes down to technique! It's frustrating as hell at times but worth the time and effort when it's right because it feels ohh so natural when it happens. I started learning this cast 13 years ago and am still frustrated to tears by the technique most of the time!

Thanks for the input. yeah, i do know exactly what u mean. Like golf or baseball or tennis or basketball, just sometimes u are in a groove and everything is right. It's gonna be easy.. then... it all falls apart even though u are doing everything "exactly" the same!! I have found a great place to cast into the mississippi 2 minutes from my house. So, now i can go run there and cast 12 times, and come home, any time. so now... i'm working on my casting. Just like the OP, i am looking for the little tips and tricks. I've got the basic idea, and casts are pretty good, could be better...