Drummerbeedude

On line distance casts online

32 posts in this topic

So I’ve looked around some, but haven’t found any good sources that break down the cast and go into the small details that make a cast really great. I’m no slouch at casting now, but I would like to refine it as much as I can. Back when I was fly fishing a lot, I read several books on casting (J. wulf, Keegan etc.) I’m kinda looking for the same thing for surf casting. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

John Holden's book Long Distance Casting

Out of print and I lost mine, but you can down load an e-book in .pdf format from his website

511LpJiRFYL._SX355_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

There are some very good tutorial videos on YouTube you can bookmark.  Note that these are casts used in the UK for distance beach fishing, and are not full blown twist-your-body field tournament OTG and Pendulum casts.  the following 4 are ones I have found most useful out of the multitudes.  Ist is John Holden (former world champion), 2nd is Terry Carrol (founder, designer and hand-builder of Zziplex rods until his death) 3rd is professional casting instructor in the UK (his name escapes me at the moment) and 3rd is Tommy Farmer (US Champion). Note that although 1st refers to easy cast, 2nd refers to Brighton Cast (point of origin of the cast) and 3rd refers to OTG cast, they are essentially all the same.  I personally prefer the 3rd version, but if quarters are tight, I do the Brighton cast.

Posted (edited)

Anything Tommy Farmer... The last video posted above. 

Edited by DaBig2na

So I’m looking at the videos above, and I’ve messed about with them all. So, I figured that the best thing to do would be to work on one cast at a time. Most of my fishing involves 2 rods, a 9’ 3/4 to 3 ounce spinning set up and modified for distance, and either a 9’ heavy spinning or 12 heavy conventional. The two heavies are for chunk bait and bigger fish, and the ones I have the most trouble with. So, which cast would be best to focus on? What do people use the most when actually fishing?

Most all good casting techniques share similarities: start slow, keep arms extended, target is 45 degrees above target, hit it at the end with push pull. Hatteras cast is a good beach cast. 

Conventional set up 8nBait... Hatteras Cast..

I consider anything past a Daiwa 30 series or Penn series 15 heavy and have no desire to cast it. 

All right, I’ll work on the hatteras cast first. One thing I noticed on the last trip is a tendency to release late, tracking my trajectories showed a very flat line. I’ll have to work on my timing a bit. One thing I am not clear of on the hatteras cast is the relationship of the back swing to the rod. Are you supposed to start moving forward as the weight is still moving back to use that kinetic energy to start loading the rod, or do you wait until the weight reaches its apex and pauses?

thank you all for your help!

Posted (edited)

If you don't turn your head and look up into the sky at 45 degrees or so, your casts will tend to go low and left.

If it were me, I would start with the Easy Cast / Brighton Cast / Unitech (same thing) first as it will allow you to set up the cast as close to identically as is possible every time.

No one has inquired as to your tackle set up...

Rod?

Reel?

Line?

What are you wanting to achieve?

Are you throwing lures or weight and bait?

What are you fishing for?

Edited by ZAFisher

Posted (edited)

My drop never goes below my first guide. I watch my sinker and as it just as it reaches  parallel with the rod tip. I begin uncoiling my body, arms, upper back and shoulders. I'm also pulling harder with my left arm than punching with my right hand....This is loading the rod.

I also look up at the sky and release at between 1:30 to 2:00 o'clock. If you look straight in front of you you will line drive every time.

Start with your drop  between your second and third guides and as you improve you can lengthen your drop .

Start with an off the ground cast will condition you and your muscle memory. Start with a slow speed

kinda like a golf swing you don't have to really rip it to send a golf ball flyin 

Edited by DaBig2na

Holden is my favorite. 

Whats also important when casting a conventional reel, is the reel position. I cast over my right shoulder, but I prefer for the reel to be lower on the rod so I can use my left hand to control the reel. It feels more natural to me.

Check out Holden’s pendulum casting video part 3. He has 2 reel seats on his rod. He casts in the lower posistion  and then moves the reel up to the higher reel seat to get better leverage on the rod when reeling in. I have a similar setup and it works pretty good.

12 hours ago, Drummerbeedude said:

All right, I’ll work on the hatteras cast first. One thing I noticed on the last trip is a tendency to release late, tracking my trajectories showed a very flat line. I’ll have to work on my timing a bit. One thing I am not clear of on the hatteras cast is the relationship of the back swing to the rod. Are you supposed to start moving forward as the weight is still moving back to use that kinetic energy to start loading the rod, or do you wait until the weight reaches its apex and pauses?

thank you all for your help!

The reason you do not want to start with the Hatteras Cast is because it is, as Tommy states in his video, a much faster cast than either an OTG or Pendulum.  In addition, going back to the Sea Angling Adventures video, note that the instructor does not start off with the pendulum, but rather the Uni-Tech (which he calls the OTG).  For what it is worth, I came from the punch generation that Tommy refers to, and saw the light the first time I went to Hatteras.  If you study these videos, they all emphasize that the function of the right arm is to control the cast trajectory, and the power comes from pulling with the left arm (if you are right handed).  Regardless of the cast, the pull begins when the left arm is extended out so that you are looking at the left hand, while you are looking at the "target cloud". this translates into two critical elements that occur simultaneously - the right arm, remaining essentially locked at the elbow, rotates thru  a plane roughly 45 degrees to the ground until it stops suddenly pointing at 45 degrees to the horizon (note that Terry talks to the left arm being "fairly straight, Colin talks "left hand rules"). Meanwhile, the left arm, which, at the beginning of the Hatteras Cast rod "sweep" (or transition as Tommy refers to it) is bent so that your elbow is pretty much in front of but under your chin, straightens to point forward and up, and then pulls, while bending, so that it ends up where your left hand is tucked so that the rod butt is under your arm next to your lower ribs. With the Uni-Tech, because you are not swinging the lead, the right hand starts at the same position it would be in at the end of the transition phase of the Hatteras Cast.

Regarding your tackle - without details being provided, the biggest inhibitor to executing these casts is too short of a rod butt, as it will put you in a position where your left arm is not rotated around your body at the end of the cast, and you are therefore trying to put power into the rod with your biceps instead of your back ( think biceps curling vice 1-arm rowing in the gym - which has more power?)

Hope this helps.

I’ve got a tica with an okuma 65 on it, rated 4-6 I believe and 9’. A penn prevail with an older penn reel on it. The tica has a topshot of 65lb test and 20lb running line, the prevail has 40 lb topshot and 10lb running line. I chucked both spools in my drill press on slow speed and used polishing compound to smooth them out to a mirror finish. I then waxed the spools, cleaned and waxed the guides. The prevail is for a top and bottom rig, the tica is for chunks. I can launch the prevail pretty far, maybe a 150 yards, but I have not measured it. I don’t know about the tica, I had issues with the bail snapping closed on the last trip. That was fixed. I’m embarrassed about the last rod, it was a 12’ tica, broke it landing a ray. Now I have a 12’ beefstick, hence the embarrassment. I’m going to fix that problem when I get more room in the budget. I have my grandfathers squider 140 on it. The tica and prevail are both spinning.

I realize that I don’t have the best setups in the world, but my current aim is to be able to reach outside the sandbar. I can almost get there with the prevail, hence me wanting to refine my casting some.