Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DoorGunner

Who like sardines?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Always have a few cans with mustard in the cabinet. As a kid mom always split them open and removed the bone but now it's just chew them with bone in. Never cared for the cans with oil or hot sauce and I guess that's from growing up with the mustard cans. 

They are great on crackers or right out of the can. Still inexpensive with Bumble Bee selling for $1.00 a can. Probably healthier than a bag of chips or other snack foods.  

Never cared for them. Love anchovies though. Wife hates them but is leaving for 12 days tomorrow so puttanesca and schnitzel Holstein will be on my menu.

Sardines on a saltine cracker with a thin slice of coon cheese is one of my favorite movie snacks. I have to be careful not to go overboard with them or the gout kicks in because of the high purine content.

Yes,  Regularly.  King Oscar or Season mostly.  King Oscar gold pack is tops, imo.  Almost always it's just sardines in olive oil with McIlhenney's mild jalapeno topping.

Love em, especially on a salad... Super Healthy IMO

Sardines are packed full the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, which have been found to lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels. Sardines are also loaded with B12.... A good percentage of you folks reading this are either a stroke or heart attack waiting to happen.

Aside from the fact that three ounces has 23 grams of protein 

About ten grams of fat (good fats I might add) the other vitamins and nutrients it contains are a whole lot more beneficial than that ham and cheese sammich you'd have brought instead.

Personally I like the small ones that are packed in water.

Grilled on toast. It’s a traditional French dish, the bread helps break down the bones in your mouth. 

Or or lightly poached in a tomato and saffron broth.

both dishes were very popular in Guernsey as most of the local dishes were French. 

We eat them (and other canned fish) at least a couple times a month. Usually sauté up some onions and garlic in olive oil, add capers and sardines and put it over pasta. Good, quick, and cheap dinner.

10 mins ago, BLilly said:

We eat them (and other canned fish) at least a couple times a month. Usually sauté up some onions and garlic in olive oil, add capers and sardines and put it over pasta. Good, quick, and cheap dinner.

I gotta try that , sounds delicious :th: