mohota

Penn Slammer 3?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2018 at 4:40 PM, Buckscorider said:

I wouldn't put anything past that leftist MFer Bezos.. Whoops off topic!

Ask the PENN guy in the PENN forum. Report back because I'm thinking of getting one.

Thanks,

My code was 00A180 on the made in China sticker inside the reel.  Based off feedback in a different slammer thread seems to be the new model off Amazon. 

11 mins ago, wellman324 said:

My code was 00A180 on the made in China sticker inside the reel.  Based off feedback in a different slammer thread seems to be the new model off Amazon. 

I just bought my son one for his birthday off Amazon, hoping you're right.  Coincidentally I received a replacement 4500 directly from Penn in July to address a perceived QC issue, that has a J17 build date indicating it's the first of the redesigned reels. 

Combining what several posters have said already, and adding more information for anyone interested, I just got four new Slammer 3's last week.  They came mail order from Tackle Direct and Cabela's.  All came in boxes that said "7+1 stainless steel bearing system" and had "ver2" (version 2) on the upc code on the bottom of the boxes.  All included older schematics with bushing listed.  All had bearings for the line roller.  The date codes were I17, H17, J17, and A18.  The simplest way to be certain, I suppose,  is to take the bail apart and look at it, as suggested by the Penn rep in another thread, and as I did.

Just received m slammer 4500 and it is rev 2  A18 date code.  The enclosed parts list does show a sealed bearing in the line roller.  It also shows a bushing.  I took mine apart and it is more of a spacer as it has very little engagement inside the line roller.

I was going to wait for the spinfisher VI but for a $154 I could not pass up on the Slammer.

With the upgrades to the Spinfisher, is it an equal to the current slammer, or is there still a noticeable difference?  Just curious and haven’t had the opportunity to go through each spec.  

13 mins ago, Evil-Bay said:

I just got my 6500 today.  How can I tell if mine is the upgraded version?

IMG_20180820_185428.jpg

Did you see my post, three above yours?  It answers your question.

On 8/20/2018 at 6:56 PM, Borderline11 said:

With the upgrades to the Spinfisher, is it an equal to the current slammer, or is there still a noticeable difference?  Just curious and haven’t had the opportunity to go through each spec.  

short answer no 

My last post was in error. 

I was trying to respond to Stowaway's comment on the reel not feeling smooth. I have been fishing with a new Slammer 3 HS 6500 this year.  At first I thought it felt stiff  compared to my Saragosa. As the season progressed most of the stiffness left the reel. I attribute this to the seals wearing in with use. I now really enjoy the Slammer 3 HS 6500.

31 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

just ordered 2 more 4500's for guest reels on my boat. I've gone back to Penn for spin reels after buying Shimano's from 2001-2016. 

Because you like the Penns, aren't happy with the Shimanos, either/both?  Just wondering because I've been buying Penns.

I was a fan of the Stradics after using one and bought 3 of FI's. Had the melting handle issues on all 3. One the drag blew up on the tip of the N jetty on IBSP during a blitz. I had landed a dozen or so fish  using heavy drag and heard a noise. Guy next to me handlined in the the fish. The other one had an ar failure. Last Christmas I had a bought one of nephew a Slammer 3 4500 and the other a Spheros 5000. I had to return the Spheros it wobbled on the 4 rods I tried it on.I have a 20K gosa that is still in good shape but it's hardly used compared to my 4000/5000 sized reels. I have a Curado freshwater baitcaster that has been solid. 

9 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

I was a fan of the Stradics after using one and bought 3 of FI's. Had the melting handle issues on all 3. One the drag blew up on the tip of the N jetty on IBSP during a blitz. I had landed a dozen or so fish  using heavy drag and heard a noise. Guy next to me handlined in the the fish. The other one had an ar failure. Last Christmas I had a bought one of nephew a Slammer 3 4500 and the other a Spheros 5000. I had to return the Spheros it wobbled on the 4 rods I tried it on.I have a 20K gosa that is still in good shape but it's hardly used compared to my 4000/5000 sized reels. I have a Curado freshwater baitcaster that has been solid. 

Yeah, I used to be a big fan of shimano  products as well. I Grew up on Penn and Mitchell spinners but in the 90's I was turned onto Stradic's. I loved the smoothness of a reel with bearings. Kind of like the difference between a car with power steering and one without. My  Stradic's were great reels when they were  new, but they'r not easy to work on and I found replacement parts expensive to obtain. Now,  shimano has had so many iterations of  the reels that parts for the older ones are not easy to find. I just gave one away because I didn't want to spend what it would cost to put it back in service. I'm taking a sabatical from Shimano for a while. There are simply too any options available to not shop around a bit more than i have been. 

On 8/19/2018 at 3:52 PM, amals said:

...and had "ver2" (version 2) on the upc code on the bottom of the boxes...  

Per the Penn Rep in a question I posed a month or two ago, VER 2 on the box means an update to the box graphics, not the reel in the box.  Just a FYI.  OH