mohota

Penn Slammer 3?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

I have been a conventional/baitcasting reel guy most of my life but have lately started adding spinning reels and rods for light tackle saltwater surf and bay fishing.  I am currently using  Daiwa BGsw 3000 and 4000 reels for the surf and they have been working great but they do get splashed now and then which I try hard to avoid.  

I am thinking  of getting a sealed reel and the Slammer 4500 is the one I am looking at for the surf.  The Slammers on websites still list them as having 6+1 bearings(no line roller bearing) not the updated 2018 models with 7+1 bearings.  There are some good pricing now on the 2017 models.  Was the bushing causing a lot of problems thus the bearing upgrade?  Has anyone upgrades their slammer to the new bearing and was it costly?  

Save some money or pay more for 2018 model.

Thanks Craig

seek out scooby doo and his youtube channel ("tackle advisors") for some very in depth informatin on this reel and some other alternatives......  great stuff if you're looking for some new gear

From Alan Hawk - 

The line roller continues to be a challenge to Penn for some reason, and in the Slammer it suffers the same rubbing issues I demonstrated in the Clash. They put a bushing in the line roller instead of a bearing, and while in principle this can work and it does in other reels, in the Slammer I got mixed results at best; they work when clean and new, then they would only spin under heavy line pressure. Unless you will thoroughly clean the roller and keep it lubed, I recommend upgrading the bushing to a ball bearing. The bushing is an interesting choice in a reel that costs up to $350 . . .

4 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

Unless you will thoroughly clean the roller and keep it lubed, I recommend upgrading the bushing to a ball bearing

Allen

Thanks for the input.  My BG's have a roller and have been working fine with just a drop of oil (no disassembly) after washing down after fishing.  If this would also keep the Slammer roller turning it would be work for me but if it would require disassembly to clean and lube then that would be an issue that would cause me to upgrade.

My BG 5k had horrible issues with the bushing and I lubed it regularly. I installed PENN bearings (same size as the bushing) and problem solved. I have had no issues with the roller on my Slammer 5500 but it doesn't see a lot of use. 

Should be a cheap upgrade if you get a Slammer with the bushing. 

14 hours ago, mohota said:

I have been a conventional/baitcasting reel guy most of my life but have lately started adding spinning reels and rods for light tackle saltwater surf and bay fishing.  I am currently using  Daiwa BGsw 3000 and 4000 reels for the surf and they have been working great but they do get splashed now and then which I try hard to avoid.  

I am thinking  of getting a sealed reel and the Slammer 4500 is the one I am looking at for the surf.  The Slammers on websites still list them as having 6+1 bearings(no line roller bearing) not the updated 2018 models with 7+1 bearings.  There are some good pricing now on the 2017 models.  Was the bushing causing a lot of problems thus the bearing upgrade?  Has anyone upgrades their slammer to the new bearing and was it costly?  

Save some money or pay more for 2018 model.

Thanks Craig

Penn announced that in late 2017 they upgraded to a bearing in the Slammer3

9 mins ago, cashews121 said:

Penn announced that in late 2017 they upgraded to a bearing in the Slammer3

And IIRC, Alan Hawk said that with the change, he likes the reel.

my 4500 just got delivered today....i caved and bought it off amazon since it was $100 off.   While unboxing i noticed it is the 7+1 bearing version so I'm assuming that this is the new updated model?

I've fished my 4500 for 2 springs and 1 fall so far and haven't had the problem with the line roller. My SSV3500 on the other hand is giving me problems again. 

13 mins ago, wellman324 said:

While unboxing i noticed it is the 7+1 bearing version

The 4500 on amazon is the reel I have been looking at. The description says it is 6+1 bearing but you if you recieved a 7+1 reel I think I will order it and see how it goes.

51 mins ago, beerdoh said:

My BG 5k had horrible issues with the bushing and I lubed it regularly

I am on west coast and use my BG's for stripers in bay and surf. Large stripers are not the norm so that may be the reason my roller has held up on my BG's.

2 hours ago, mohota said:

The 4500 on amazon is the reel I have been looking at. The description says it is 6+1 bearing but you if you recieved a 7+1 reel I think I will order it and see how it goes.

I am on west coast and use my BG's for stripers in bay and surf. Large stripers are not the norm so that may be the reason my roller has held up on my BG's.

Ill be getting mine tomorrow. Good deal. Hopefully the upgraded version.

So you think that amazon would have switched the old reel into a new box?  box says 7+1 but the pamphlet inside the box says 6+1. 

I see nothing on the reel to indicate 7+1 vs 6+1.

I'm wondering if (hoping) they didn't print new pamphlets for the upgraded version?

1 hour ago, wellman324 said:

So you think that amazon would have switched the old reel into a new box?  box says 7+1 but the pamphlet inside the box says 6+1. 

I see nothing on the reel to indicate 7+1 vs 6+1.

I'm wondering if (hoping) they didn't print new pamphlets for the upgraded version?

I wouldn't put anything past that leftist MFer Bezos.. Whoops off topic!

Ask the PENN guy in the PENN forum. Report back because I'm thinking of getting one.

Thanks,