The Riddler

Happy customers do not hang around in forums like this.

131 posts in this topic

Personally I disagree with that statement last night.  This forum was  the leaping point for Jon Shien and many others to start the Kayak Fishing movement in the Northeast during late 90’s and early 2000’s.  Other forums popped up later but it started here. 

I can never repay what this forum and the members in it have given to me.  The only thing we can do is continue to  contribute , help the new folks out, post how to articles, review boats and share some information. We will disagree, we will bicker,  but thats part of forums.

Glad I started looking here. Been on SOL for a while, but just got my first (cheapie) SOT last month. Interested in what the Hobie can do, but had NO clue they were having all these cracking issues. Will be doing lots more investigation prior to buying a pedal yak.

Over the years I have learned a lot from the folks that make positive contributions here.   

This forum helps me with lists of things to have.  Being from NJ my main reason for wanting the kayak was to get away from what seems to be ever increasing crowds on the surf.  I am still new to this side of fishing and a funny thing happened after I bought my first kayak, I opted to use the many fresh water lakes and their calm environments to get acclimated with it, learn its tendencies, dos and don'ts etc.  Now I'm in love with lake and fresh water fishing and am losing interest in salt water.  :shrug:

5 mins ago, fishless said:

This forum helps me with lists of things to have.  Being from NJ my main reason for wanting the kayak was to get away from what seems to be ever increasing crowds on the surf.  I am still new to this side of fishing and a funny thing happened after I bought my first kayak, I opted to use the many fresh water lakes and their calm environments to get acclimated with it, learn its tendencies, dos and don'ts etc.  Now I'm in love with lake and fresh water fishing and am losing interest in salt water.  :shrug:

I can relate to this.  I started off surf casting(NY LI) and after 2 seasons I got into kayak fishing to 'find the fish' instead of hoping they pass by my location.  A few more seasons pass and I feel like I'm more of a kayaker than a fisher.  Ive put less stress on coming back with fish and more emphasis on just enjoying the moment.  I still fish (and doing better somehow) but I focus more on tides for planned trips.  Lately I've been taking friends out with me who are interested in kayaking.  I show them the ropes, do all the planning and bring out food and drinks.  Everyone I take out experiences the same kind of seduction of being out on the water.  My experience wasn't exactly like yours, but its amazing how an original interests transforms into an unexpected one.  Yours being Freshwater instead of salt, and mine being less fishing and more stress relief.

4 mins ago, bantis said:

Yours being Freshwater instead of salt, and mine being less fishing and more stress relief.

Stress relief is the key phrase.  I started finding the pursuit of striped bass was bringing out an ugly side in people.  Common courtesy seems as if it's on the endangered list soon to be extinct.  Arguments and sometimes fights break out.  I've witnessed friendships lost.  Simply catching fish was no longer the goal, if you didn't catch large you're somehow not a worthy fisherman.  That mentality is evident even on this site if you poke around enough forums.  Everything's tuning into a...mines bigger than yours contest!  When I get out on the lake I'm away from all of it.  This forum helped me get away from the drama.

1 hour ago, YakDawg said:

Over the years I have learned a lot from the folks that make positive contributions here.   

I agree.  This is something we can build on.  I think what most of us may forget is new kayak anglers have new ideas to contribute.  

Yea, that statement was subjective at best. He may have meant 'thread' instead of forum. He also may have been alluding to the fact that non fishing folks probably are not frequenting this site. While l don't hang around here, I am a satisfied customer, and I visit SOL to learn, like 'most' of us.

I gotta think Matt meant more that particular thread, not the forum as a whole... but what do I know. The tension gets thick in here for sure. Lots of panties bunching up. 

3 hours ago, Jon I said:

I gotta think Matt meant more that particular thread, not the forum as a whole... but what do I know. The tension gets thick in here for sure. Lots of panties bunching up. 

Can your panties get bunched up if you go commando? Just wondering ...

3 hours ago, Jon I said:

Lol I think I gave myself a self wedgy today. Us plumbers are always doing that! 

This forum and certain kayak posters have been a great help to me. Especially to get out of a land whale kayak and into a real boat...if it survives the journey from South Africa.

You need to take the reviews with a grain of salt as everyone is different but you aren't getting anything close to an honest review of any problems anywhere else.

5 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Personally I disagree with that statement last night.  This forum was  the leaping point for Jon Shien and many others to start the Kayak Fishing movement in the Northeast during late 90’s and early 2000’s.  Other forums popped up later but it started here. 

I can never repay what this forum and the members in it have given to me.  The only thing we can do is continue to  contribute , help the new folks out, post how to articles, review boats and share some information. We will disagree, we will bicker,  but thats part of forums.

I believe Matt meant exactly what he wrote. And I don't agree with it either.

Variety, and especially variety in opinions, is what makes any forum worthwhile. If everybody thought the same way, did  the same stuff, and wrote the same thing what a dull world it would be.  Yes, you may have to sift through a fair amount of crap, but you will find nuggets of value.

What I truly respect here is that TimS allows quite a bit of latitude. Very refreshing.

That's my buddy Kross57... always looking for a dig. Finding a nuget he will twist.

My exact quote is related to the negative aspects of that topic...

and some just to stir the pot...  a place where the guys without issues are far less likely to be... and specifically in a negative topic like this. Happy customers do not hang around in forums like this.

I too have been here since the KFS days. And before that when there were email lists. I love forums for what they do in positive ways and I would never disrespect the forums here.