JohnP

How many plan trips on tide, not time?

39 posts in this topic

Fishing the beach in Eastern Florida I like a higher tide. Seems a lot of the time on a low tide without much water in front of me the fish tend to be too far out to reach.  On a higher tide I have plenty of water and the fish can be in the first trough or close by. I still fish when I can, early morning or evenings are worth a trip cause you never know even with a lower tide, if you get a high tide around then, all the better.    

I'll admit I like fishing early and in cloudy / marine layer conditions if possible before the sun hits the water.

That said, I'd rather fish a good tide with tidal movement in bright sunlight then a poor tide with little tidal movement first thing in the morning.

SF

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Maybe they already factored in time of tides John.

Not all of us have the luxury of timing trips with either idea light conditions or tidal phase.

For those that do then the keen ones who like catching fish rather than concern themselves over creature comforts  will seek out ideal tides and in the dark. Unless sight fishing of course. Talking shore fishing here where it is even more critical.

Why the question John. What is the significance of it.

mike

Hmmmm well

i used to be strictly a night / moon phase tide wind fisher

the key is to have some options on spots for each possible combination

Example

”a northwest wind drop spot”

but then over the years I cared less about catching fish and more about just going when I felt like it and whatever happens happens 

it’s like switching from knowing exactly what you are looking for versus going out and seeing what you can find

thar works for me but I tend to take more people fishing these days. And they want to catch fish. So then I have to tell them things like “you can’t drink the night before because we need to be on the water at 4am” 

this happened fairly recently 

was out with a buddy having a great time but before ordering another round I gave it to Him straight. We can fish at 4am and I can pretty much guarantee you fish or we can have a few more and leave at 7am, but we may miss it and only have a “nice boat ride. “

He opted for 7am and sure enough we got a couple and then it shut down quickly 

then I think to all the charters ive Done. They always fish by time. And then if you have a bad day when you get off the boat they tell you the better fishing was late in the day on a different tide   And I’ve seen this happen over and over

youd figure at least some would book based on tide. But no

Edited by JohnP

I always fished by tide. But sadly , when taking wifie , it's time. They don't understand about our fishing the tides. and why.

John

I hear you. It can be fun sometimes going and see what happens. But for me it’s like a crap shoot and mostly I know I will lose. Not into that overly much.

You are a very kind guy.

Theses days and especially now I feel impending mortality I use my time more carefully. I am to some brutal but  if I am taking someone fishing then it’s to the seas and fishes timetable. If they can’t live with that they get the luxury of staying at  home or getting pissed at the bar. I take the view you can sleep and get pissed after the fishing. You get to do both then and perfect use of time.

Now bad conditions is another matter. I will go then as I could not live with myself to be a fair weather guy only. A few fish from difficult conditions is a huge buzz.

Mike

11 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

John

I hear you. It can be fun sometimes going and see what happens. But for me it’s like a crap shoot and mostly I know I will lose. Not into that overly much.

You are a very kind guy.

Theses days and especially now I feel impending mortality I use my time more carefully. I am to some brutal but  if I am taking someone fishing then it’s to the seas and fishes timetable. If they can’t live with that they get the luxury of staying at  home or getting pissed at the bar. I take the view you can sleep and get pissed after the fishing. You get to do both then and perfect use of time.

Now bad conditions is another matter. I will go then as I could not live with myself to be a fair weather guy only. A few fish from difficult conditions is a huge buzz.

Mike

I’ve had many many trips where folks back out due to weather and I make sure I take pictures of the fish to rub their nose in it 

im also doing by a bit more fishing by time as I called a truce with the wife. I can go most any day as long as I’m back by 9 with coffee and bagel 

showing up 3 hours late with the explanation that the fishing was “so good” just doesn’t work as much as it used to 

Now we can all relate to that. This is why I treasure my American trips so much. Anne is just resigned to them now. Bit like spring and fall they will happen no matter  what except when my check out moment comes.

My Grand Kids rule the roost now. Changing of the guard.

Mike

All of my fishing trips in salt or brackish water since I was 16 are scheduled around Tides(especially Stripers) :)

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

John

You are a very kind guy.

Mike

Totally agree with Mike. After we've been out fishing in the dark of night and come in 30 min. after dawn and see the fishermen just arriving on the same beach to fish, after a nice night's sleep, we know, they'll not have the results we've had in the dark of night. It's just how it is. Night fishing brings better sized stripers as we all know because they'll come closer to shore during the night than in daylight. I've even come back in after a night's fishing at dawn, stepping onto the shoreline, and, wah lah, a huge striper will swoosh away from the sandline as I planted my wader boot! The  fishermen, spin and fly, have no idea that the fish are so close in. They cast as far as they can, thinking the further the better; yet, have they even looked at the shoreline, just as dawn is showing?

Yes, night tides are important to me but, more important is to just fish at night if you want more successful stripers. To answer your question, while I would prefer to book my fishing vacation spot re tides, if it wasn't convenient to my vacation schedule, I would definitely put night fishing before tide schedules. 

I fish where I can when I can. In NC coastal waters 2 hr before high tide and 2 hrs after are prime sound side times. Sunrise Sunset key times and low light conditions. After dark for old drum is prime time. Good fishing

I fish when I can, not when I should. It has always been that way and I doubt it will change any time soon. I do have preferred tides and times for a lot of places but those conditions do not rule my fishing. If I get the chance and urge to fish on an off cycle, I'm gone. I have caught a lot of fish under the "wrong" conditions.

Posted (edited)

My fishing is almost completely governed by tides. I have optimal conditions then plus or minus a few hours, outside of which time is pretty useless. If I fish at the extreme opposite ends of the tide (i.e. low tide) I will be retrieving a fly through no water.

I guess our answers are heavily depended on the unique places we fish, and how far we are from them.

Edited by Silver Stoat

Time and Tide waits for no man...  Someone had to say it.  I just go every night and hope it works out.

When i got a boat my brothers and i spent a summer hammering the vast plain of nothingness, did everything wrong.  Jigged in the middle of the Patuxent river with light tackle our un-seeing eyes not seeing our offerings kiting 100 yards  down current in a few feet of water.  We fished in the middle of the day, getting him heat exhaustion and sunburn.  Until I learned where to be and when I caught nothing or very little.

Now that I am in the North East I spend most of my time on rivers drifting for SMB when I get the chance and time rules , but when im planning a run to the ocean its tides.