How many plan trips on tide, not time?

39 posts in this topic

I noticed many people plan or book trips based on time

’we leave at 8am’

not so much

’we Will fish the flood’ or the drop

you?

Posted (edited)

Tide has a lot to do with when and where I fish, in some situations it may have more impact the others.

for example, if I’m on foot, tide is critical to when I go. Sometimes low tide offers very little opportunity.

if I’m fishing from, or using s kayak to get to locations, tide may impact which spot I choose. I prefer some location on low tide and others on high.

if I find myself on a boat, I’m usually on a guide’s boat and or on vacation, and my travel schedule is dictated by a million other life factors other then tide. When I can use vacation days, when fishing buddies are free, when my wife has had enough cocktails to be cool with me dropping all that cash (lol), etc.

Edited by Camren

Posted (edited)

Maybe they already factored in time of tides John.

Not all of us have the luxury of timing trips with either idea light conditions or tidal phase.

For those that do then the keen ones who like catching fish rather than concern themselves over creature comforts  will seek out ideal tides and in the dark. Unless sight fishing of course. Talking shore fishing here where it is even more critical.

Why the question John. What is the significance of it.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I go by tide unless there's bait, if there's bait, I follow bait. Drive until I find violence.

Never, fish when you can, you'll learn that conditions change frequently. You wait for the right tide, moon phase, wind direction, water temp, barometric pressure, water temp, and other factors and you'll fish 10-12 days a year.

Best answer is and always will be, fish when you can and when you want.

I don’t plan based on the tide, but if I see ideal tide, wind, water temp, and light conditions in the forecast (based on past experience), I try hard to get permission to see if my hunch is correct. I also will decide where to go based on the tide if I can. I find that can be critical early in the season when water temp can make a difference.

If I have the luxury of choosing when I go, I'll fish moving water. 

Of course, I never have that luxury, so I fish when I can.

I think I for the most part planned my trips by time.

I always liked to be on the water  one hour before sunrise and I would fish whatever I had for time. Sometimes we would get lucky and have the preferred tide when I wanted to be on the water.

For me time over ruled everything.

I always was a sunrise to sunset guy so that gave me the opportunity to be where I wanted when I wanted

This is 100% related to why I am going to maine mid Sept, the spots i fish are best on a falling tide , if that falling tide is closer to evening or in the evening then even better.  But I dont live there, so I have to call my shots and balance that with my other responsibilities at home and work.  If I lived adjacent or close I'd go regardless.

I typically fish when I can, and that's most of the time when the wife gives me the OK as well. If the boss let's me go fishing tonight, I'd look at the conditions and look back to my log to see how I've done in the past with the current conditions and plan accordingly. I typically get out about twice a week, not as much as I want but the wife has already agreed that when the little one turns 3 years old, I can get out about 6 times a week if I wanted, so I've got about 1.5 years more to go!

90% of my fishing time is my lunch hour, not ideal in terms of light, etc. but it is what it is, so it's time. That said tide has a huge impact on location - I've spent years scoping out where I need to be for any tide/wind combination so I would say that tide is still a very big factor for me. Some of my more productive spots just aren't accessible at certain tides and others while they may be accessible just don't fish well. Including these inputs helps me get the most out of a limited time window, certainly better than just showing up at the beach and dealing with whatever I find...

The time I have available to fish is almost always at night. I'll choose the spot to fish by which spot has the tide I like within the time I have available.

Tide is a HUGE factor here in SC where I fish.  We average 5-6 foot swings and our Redfish move with the water.  Tide first, then wind direction, then time-of-day for me.  That being said, I love watching the Sunrise from my skiff, regardless of what tide stage I'm looking at...

the moon/ tide dictates my trips. lets face it some spots only set up on certain tides.  Everything moves with the moon and the tides it brings thats just how it is. 

that being said there are times i plan my fishing around time. like during the mullet run in my area there is a spot that the fish will move in for an hour or so right before  dark.  I sit there all day chilling waiting for that window.  However i usually say the mullet move on the first moon in september. :airquote: