eagle73

Fly Line: Saltwater vs Fresh

27 posts in this topic

I just purchased a SA Sharkwave Anadro 9wt Floater. It is my intention to use in saltwater but the box says "Freshwater Fly Line". Is there really a difference? Thank you in advance for your input.

Pvc,vinyl and whatever other lines they make don't know the difference between salt or fresh.Any and all lines are transferable between the two.

The biggest difference is in lines for cold water and tropical conditions where the heat might make some lines more limp.

I think many of the lines you see  are exactly the same but get put in different packaging.

Some of my favorite lines I use in the salt are sold as freshwater

The bottom line is you already made the purchase so use it for what you intended, I think you will be pleased.

Lines designated as SW are usually overweight, FW lines tend to be AFTMA std, or they disclose weight relative to std, other than that they’re basically same as slip n slide said.

JC

Looking at the box: 

this is for SI Sharkwave Anadro Freshwater Fly Line:

LINE WT    HEAD     TOT LENGTH    GRAIN WEIGHT    
WF-5-F    60.0 '     100 '        175 gr    
WF-6-F    60.0 '     100 '        200 gr    
WF-7-F    60.0 '     100 '        225 gr    
WF-8-F    60.0 '     100 '        260 gr    
WF-9-F    60.0 '     100 '        310 gr    

Not sure how this compares to Saltwater line of the same species but thought it might  of interest. And, for me, I will try the WF-9-F line on a 9wt and on an 8wt and see which one it feels better on. Again, thanks for your input.

The line weights above are for the first 30’ of the head, this line is significantly overweight, plus it has a super long head, I would not think going up a line size would be of any benefit here.

JC

I used RIO Mainstream intermediate for a few years that came in a freshwater box but was fine. I also use stuff like the old Cortland 444s for floating lines, some made before they even bothered adding all these confusing designations. If it casts good it is good.

I use a SW int. line in freshwater all the time and love the setup.  I have a sage bass rod that came with this PVC high density front loaded taper that if even close to cold turns into uncooked spaghetti, the biggest issue is the temperature that the line is used in.  SW vs. FW as others noted is not that big of a factor in what I use.  

12 hours ago, JonC said:

Lines designated as SW are usually overweight, FW lines tend to be AFTMA std, or they disclose weight relative to std, other than that they’re basically same as slip n slide said.

JC

I think that there are too many exceptions to this "rule" to rely on it.

11 mins ago, GregPavlov said:

I think that there are too many exceptions to this "rule" to rely on it.

But that applies to almost everything associated with our sport.

JC

3 hours ago, JonC said:

But that applies to almost everything associated with our sport.

JC

I was mortified last year when I showed up in SC without a "Redfish taper" line. I'd hoped to try for reds only to find I I couldn't do that, so I spent the $90 to get one. Caught one whitefish, which I consider a coup since I didn't have a "Whitefish taper" line at the time. But sarcasm aside, are all these specialty items a measurable advantage or are they just marketing noise? My wife asked me to buy a certain snack food earlier this week, I got to the store and stood there for like 10 minutes confronted by "New Nacho Flavor" "Mesquite Infused" "Lime and Strawberry Barbecue". I gave up and went home with nothing. I'm just old enough so the "Have It Your Way" burger marketing trend missed me, gotta say I'm not feeling the love. And the redfish line casted like crap btw....

7 hours ago, eagle73 said:

Looking at the box: 

this is for SI Sharkwave Anadro Freshwater Fly Line:

LINE WT    HEAD     TOT LENGTH    GRAIN WEIGHT    
WF-5-F    60.0 '     100 '        175 gr    
WF-6-F    60.0 '     100 '        200 gr    
WF-7-F    60.0 '     100 '        225 gr    
WF-8-F    60.0 '     100 '        260 gr    
WF-9-F    60.0 '     100 '        310 gr    

Not sure how this compares to Saltwater line of the same species but thought it might  of interest. And, for me, I will try the WF-9-F line on a 9wt and on an 8wt and see which one it feels better on. Again, thanks for your input.

Probably not the best choice for SW,more of a specialty line for swinging streamers in a current where you need to mend a lot,hence the long back taper.The long body also helps w/ rollcasting long lengths of the line,which is normal for stream fishing but there would be a lot of false casting involved to engage the whole line for SW use.

I'd suggest a line w/ a shorter,more compact head, 40' or less in length, so you don't waste a lot of time and energy false casting.