Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StripedBasstardz

Ultralight JDM Seabass Rods

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I bought two imported ultralight seabass rods from Japan and wondering if they're CCC capable. Both rods about 6 to 6.8oz and are made for Japanese seabass/suzuki around rocky shore. I'm not looking to throw anything over 2oz due to physical limitation. Both rods will be paired with either my Van Staal VR50 or Penn Slammer III 3500 on PP-Maxcuatro 20lb braided. I'd say these rods are very similar if not exactly as the G-Rods Pro Striper 106MS.

Rods:

#1 - Daiwa Labrax AGS 106MH, rated up to 2oz.

#2 - Shimano 2018 Dialuna 106MH, rated up to 2oz

5b744257e2942_DVr50.jpg.e7965d441b3dee3849e39de39d33bb4c.jpg5b7442537a688_DSrods.jpg.b84cadbe4e9bb30eb999dd7eeb4a64c1.jpg

Edited by StripedBasstardz

Very nice combo, I have a few seabass rods that are a real pleasure to fish with for hours on end. From what I have read the CCC can be brutal on equipment. Big fish+current+crowds=no bueno even though Kilsong seems to have no issues. Personally, I have been researching the JDM shore jigging rods for a heavier duty option. I too am a sucker for the lightweight, high end builds from Japan. Someday I hope to fish the CCC and also on my bucket list are catching albies on my seabass rods, gonna be a long drive.

15 mins ago, rocketsurgeon said:

Very nice combo, I have a few seabass rods that are a real pleasure to fish with for hours on end. From what I have read the CCC can be brutal on equipment. Big fish+current+crowds=no bueno even though Kilsong seems to have no issues. Personally, I have been researching the JDM shore jigging rods for a heavier duty option. I too am a sucker for the lightweight, high end builds from Japan. Someday I hope to fish the CCC and also on my bucket list are catching albies on my seabass rods, gonna be a long drive.

So far, these rods seem to be happy with 10-15lbs fish in roaring currents below dams. Not sure about 20-40lbs+ fish though haha.

I'm sure you'd be able to catch fish, but playing fish on light gear in the canal is a great way to make enemies.  These generally aren't very friendly people we're talking about.

I have a Tailwalk Hi Tide TZ and a tai game tz.  

Member Buddha has the Daiwa and i think his cuz has the ags version

I wouldn't want to pull on big fish in big current with those rods.  They don't really punch baits well into the wind either as the ones i've used are very soft actions albeit light and sensitive and great casters.  Just not so good in their upper weight range in some conditions.

Edited by scoobydoo

4 hours ago, Kima said:

I'm sure you'd be able to catch fish, but playing fish on light gear in the canal is a great way to make enemies.  These generally aren't very friendly people we're talking about.

You are right. I used 10' Suzuki rod when current is moderate and I put lots of drag not to bother other anglers while fighting. 

The Suzuki rods are not for Cape Cod Canal rods when current is strong and there are lots of fishermen nearby unless you know what you are doing. 

11 hours ago, ksong said:

You are right. I used 10' Suzuki rod when current is moderate and I put lots of drag not to bother other anglers while fighting. 

The Suzuki rods are not for Cape Cod Canal rods when current is strong and there are lots of fishermen nearby unless you know what you are doing. 

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your rods at the CCC, I hope they get returned to you soon. I love my Black Hole sea bass monster edition that I picked up from overseas, it's great from the sand but I hesitate to use it off the rocks here with all the associated kelp, current and swell. Hence, my quest for a heavier JDM shore jigging rod or perhaps your recommendation from the Black Hole catalog.

1 hour ago, rocketsurgeon said:

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your rods at the CCC, I hope they get returned to you soon. I love my Black Hole sea bass monster edition that I picked up from overseas, it's great from the sand but I hesitate to use it off the rocks here with all the associated kelp, current and swell. Hence, my quest for a heavier JDM shore jigging rod or perhaps your recommendation from the Black Hole catalog.

I have a new 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod and IRT 500 high gear ratio reel in my car. 

I have to use them in the Canal tonight as I don't have any choice. :)

But I will use heavy drag ( upto 20 lb) not to be tangled with other anglers. 

On 8/15/2018 at 10:44 AM, StripedBasstardz said:

Hey guys. I bought two imported ultralight seabass rods from Japan and wondering if they're CCC capable. Both rods about 6 to 6.8oz and are made for Japanese seabass/suzuki around rocky shore. I'm not looking to throw anything over 2oz due to physical limitation. Both rods will be paired with either my Van Staal VR50 or Penn Slammer III 3500 on PP-Maxcuatro 20lb braided. I'd say these rods are very similar if not exactly as the G-Rods Pro Striper 106MS.

Rods:

#1 - Daiwa Labrax AGS 106MH, rated up to 2oz.

#2 - Shimano 2018 Dialuna 106MH, rated up to 2oz

I have the 2018 Dialuna 9'6m and the older gen 8'6ml...both excellent rods, but as Scooby pointed out they like staying in the mid range of their lure ratings. My cousin's Labrax AGS 9m seems little more forgiving, as well as slightly faster action than the Dialunas. At sub-5 oz, and paired with 7.9oz ballistic LT 4k reels, these are "surf" rods that feel like freshwater bass rods. Love them for fluking and hopefully Albies. 

If you look at the shore jigging stuff from japan and their popping rods for 3-6oz+, which is probably what you're looking at for the CCC...the magic seems to go away: heavy with double footed guides. Still pretty cool though.

40 mins ago, buddha162 said:

I have the 2018 Dialuna 9'6m and the older gen 8'6ml...both excellent rods, but as Scooby pointed out they like staying in the mid range of their lure ratings. My cousin's Labrax AGS 9m seems little more forgiving, as well as slightly faster action than the Dialunas. At sub-5 oz, and paired with 7.9oz ballistic LT 4k reels, these are "surf" rods that feel like freshwater bass rods. Love them for fluking and hopefully Albies. 

If you look at the shore jigging stuff from japan and their popping rods for 3-6oz+, which is probably what you're looking at for the CCC...the magic seems to go away: heavy with double footed guides. Still pretty cool though.

I think 1.5oz is the sweet spot for both of mine.