gradywhite3535

Lure connection help

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I’m getting into throwing artificials and I use braided line>barrel swivel>18” mono leader>Cosstlock snap swivel> tsunami paddle shad. I realized the swim shad was swimming on one side and not straight.Should I not be using the coastlock snap swivel? When throwing lures in general, what should I use from leader to lure? I know of ta clips but have never used them. Is it okay to use the coastlock snap swivel for other type slides like poppers?also should the tsunami swim shads when casting be close to the bottom.semmed very difficult for me to get it to swim

by the bottom. Thanks 

Edited by gradywhite3535

I only use swivels with lures that spin or have a large degree of wobble like some spoons. I tie a loop knot to attach small to medium poppers, minnow baits diving baits in small to medium size. I do not have experience to comment on the very large striper lures. Hope this helps

If you're not using a swivel or snap ring, try to leave an "open loop" from your lure to leader.  I noticed this improves the action of lure a little as opposed to tightening your knot to lure...  If that makes sense at all...

In other words, leave a little wiggle room from knot-to-lure.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot
More

1 hour ago, Mack26 said:

Try the TA Clips, you'll never use a snap again.

X2

1 hour ago, Mack26 said:

Try the TA Clips, you'll never use a snap again.

13 hours ago, gradywhite3535 said:

I’m getting into throwing artificials and I use braided line>barrel swivel>18” mono leader>Cosstlock snap swivel> tsunami paddle shad. I realized the swim shad was swimming on one side and not straight.Should I not be using the coastlock snap swivel? When throwing lures in general, what should I use from leader to lure? I know of ta clips but have never used them. Is it okay to use the coastlock snap swivel for other type slides like poppers?also should the tsunami swim shads when casting be close to the bottom.semmed very difficult for me to get it to swim

by the bottom. Thanks 

Some swim shads will "swim" on there sides and even wobble a little on the retrieve. I don' think the connection really matters. However, like others have mentioned you should try a Tactical Anglers clip or a Breakaway clip next time out. Also, your leader is a little short. I think 36" leader is the minimum length you should tie up and I would even try to get used to casting longer leaders than that. Finally, instead of the shad try fishing with a quality white bucktail jig ( 1/2 oz. to 1 1/2 oz. depending on conditions) and white trailer.  I think you will notice a big difference in fishing different depths and catch rate. Good luck

Thanks for all the comments. I’ve used bait mostly bunker my entire life and trying to get into artificials. I’m going to buy some tactical anglers clips and jigs to connect paddle tails, shads  etc.... next time to try them out. I know buck tails are good to swim on the bottom and I also like the hogys. What other type of lures are good to swim on the bottom? 

9 mins ago, gradywhite3535 said:

Thanks for all the comments. I’ve used bait mostly bunker my entire life and trying to get into artificials. I’m going to buy some tactical anglers clips and jigs to connect paddle tails, shads  etc.... next time to try them out. I know buck tails are good to swim on the bottom and I also like the hogys. What other type of lures are good to swim on the bottom? 

if you're gonna use swimbaits use the larger ones that are like an ounce or a bit more.

then you can work them slow and they will get deeper.

if in current you can throw it out and let some line out so it sinks and the keep in touch with it to get it to stay low.

if you are fishing deep and not losing some every so often,you are not doing it right.

bucktails?,,,they should have a few scrapes on the nose from rocks.

when you feel it hitting bottom,crank the reel 2 times or more until you don't feel it dragging bottom.

HH

sometimes coastlocks tend to favor one side and cause a lean.

At the same time some shad bodies tend to lean regardless of how you tie them.

A shad that leans will come back up to the surface

I hate wasting coin on shads that don't swim right and have no problems contacting the companies.  Generally they send replacements

amazing how they were half the price 10 years ago and you got more in the pack and they seemed to run right.  Now it's hit or miss