beatonem

Picture Board

Rate this topic

258 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, flysully said:

jeffory: So here's how you can tell if you've caught an actual bonitO or a false albacore, aka an "albie". I know, from fishing S/W Florida a month each year for umpteen years, that Floridians call what they think they caught, a "bonita" but, actually, what they've caught is a false albacore, albie. Key is in their side/top markings as shown in the photo below. You've caught false albacore, albies. 

Check out the comparison photo, posted once again for you Floridians, who have thought they've caught a bonito (bonita) but it's been an albie.

And, now that you've seen that you've caught an albie, thinking it was a bonito, if you grilled it, please let us all know how it tasted coming off the grill.

Also, just FYI, here in the Northeast, we love to catch albies, one of the fiercest fighting shoreline fish to target. We always catch & release as we realize we're enjoying one of the best fishing species to fish for but we would never take them home to eat despite internet recipes that say they are "delicious?" I think, if you took those albies home to grill, you will understand what I'm just sayin'  ?

Those are beautiful albies you've caught. Kudos to you on those nice big ones!!  Hope you can keep on catching them. The best catch ever, especially, like yours, from shore.

Photo below is a bonito. See the stripes? See those teeth? Bonito have teeth. False Albacore don't. 

Thanks for the info. about the only thing I use them for is shark bait....or Goliath grouper bait.  So can't give you any feedback on how they taste and I gave them away to others that were fishing on the pier.

I do see the teeth you are talking about and that would make sense why I didn't loose them even though the line was in their mouth.

Beatonem, the snook(east and west coast) might have slight DNA differences. I'll have to ask a biologist. We caught a 33" west coast snook in the spring that was 11#. These 32" snook were 15#. But the snook have been gorging on mullet to fatten up for the winter.

Depends where you catch them. The snook I've been getting here on the west coast are generally very thick and well fed. Depends on the environment they live in.

32 mins ago, aneary said:

Not a great photo but saw this guy on a flat next to some mangroves. My biggest Red. sight fished with the fly rod, doesn’t get much better than that for me. 

4D3773A1-E2DE-4DEB-9282-66080B0BA38D.jpeg

Nice catch,  haven't gotten 1 on fly yet but it is on the docket!

1 hour ago, aneary said:

Not a great photo but saw this guy on a flat next to some mangroves. My biggest Red. sight fished with the fly rod, doesn’t get much better than that for me. 

4D3773A1-E2DE-4DEB-9282-66080B0BA38D.jpeg

Don’t think that will get much better for anyone!!!  Good on you!