bobbrown

Hoo glue

25 posts in this topic

Been thinking about glue for Hoo’s. Liquid fusion vs, others.  Been putting  off tying a bunch of Hoo’s cause I lost access to a turner.  I guess the question is.....can you use the LF without a turner and is there a faster setting finish for this fly. How about a light cured

product?

Thanks

For Liquid Fusion i would think you would want a Turner.   BTW great Hoo SBS here.

For Light Cured I'd use the Flex Formula UV.  Most all of the UV companies  have it.

HT

Thanks. Thats a great SBS.  Tried the LF like the SBS showed and worked great. Just turned the vise a couple times during first 1/2 hour. Turned out great.

a little time consuming....but good result.

I don't use a turner. I'm all about finding a better alternative to liquid fusion, but after 7-8 years of the Hoo being a regular fixture in my fly box, I really don't have any criticisms of the stuff. There's softex, but it cures cloudy any it's completely toxic. Silicone is a mess, and it takes longer to cure than liquid fusion.

One trick I've learned over the years with liquid fusion is to keep 3 bottles at different viscosities. It's water soluble, so there's no real trick to thinning it out. As it is, liquid fusion doesn't penetrate as well as I'd like. Also, craft stores sell it for half of what your local fly shop is asking.

FB_IMG_1519511683950.jpg

IMG_20180330_123615_807.jpg

1 hour ago, Local66 said:

I don't use a turner. I'm all about finding a better alternative to liquid fusion, but after 7-8 years of the Hoo being a regular fixture in my fly box, I really don't have any criticisms of the stuff. There's softex, but it cures cloudy any it's completely toxic. Silicone is a mess, and it takes longer to cure than liquid fusion.

One trick I've learned over the years with liquid fusion is to keep 3 bottles at different viscosities. It's water soluble, so there's no real trick to thinning it out. As it is, liquid fusion doesn't penetrate as well as I'd like. Also, craft stores sell it for half of what your local fly shop is asking.

FB_IMG_1519511683950.jpg

IMG_20180330_123615_807.jpg

Nice Ties !

HT

On 8/14/2018 at 8:48 PM, bobbrown said:

Thanks. Thats a great SBS.  Tried the LF like the SBS showed and worked great. Just turned the vise a couple times during first 1/2 hour. Turned out great.

a little time consuming....but good result.

Thanks--I am glad you liked the SBS. I only use a turner for the 2nd coat of LiqFus that covers the eyes. I find that if I don't use a turner the LiqFus will slide off the eye and droop, but your idea of turning the vise every once in a while for 1/2 accomplishes the same thing. Have fun :th:

Having a bit of a problem on some of the ties. Seems like when I bodkin the LF back over the head sometimes it deforms or flattens the head a bit.

maybe I need to thin the stuff?  If so...how much

On 8/19/2018 at 8:50 AM, bobbrown said:

Having a bit of a problem on some of the ties. Seems like when I bodkin the LF back over the head sometimes it deforms or flattens the head a bit.

maybe I need to thin the stuff?  If so...how much

No, you're just using too much. First few applications have to be thin, you DO NOT want to saturate your senyo.

FB_IMG_1522427479075.jpg

I've been using CCG Hydro for my Hoo Flies.  Unfortunately, they're out of business, when I run out I'll probably switch to a UV flex resin.   I just put a light coat over the body the length of the hook shank.  Keeps the body shape of the fly.  I use a slightly thicker UV resin to keep the eyes in place.  I picked up the idea for this one from the Global FlyFisher web site.   The piece of foam keeps it in the surface film and creates a wake when retrieved.  Designed for largemouth

P4210217.JPG

Local 66.    Your applying several coats prior to attaching eyes?  You allow complete dry time between coats?

thanks

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, bobbrown said:

Local 66.    Your applying several coats prior to attaching eyes?  You allow complete dry time between coats?

thanks

I am. When I tie Hoos I usually do 5-6 at a time. First couple coats start as just a bead of liquid fusion on the mono thread, then I take a bodkin a sweep it back. You can't let it saturate, it'll cause your profile to collapse. You want the fusion to act as a shell, you have to be careful not to use too much. Eyes go on after 3-4 coats, after that you'll want 2-3 coats over/around the eyes. Simple fly, but this process does make them somewhat time consuming. I'm pretty sure J. King had a video somewhere around here.

Edited by Local66

Really no need for a turner for Hoo flies when you use liquid fusion. You need so little of it that it. Dries quickly.

I went into Walmart and got a bottle of Fabric fusion by mistake. I doesn't work as good as Liquid Fusion?   Its thicker  Do you find it to be that way also. 

9 hours ago, ccb said:

I went into Walmart and got a bottle of Fabric fusion by mistake. I doesn't work as good as Liquid Fusion?   Its thicker  Do you find it to be that way also. 

I believe they are close to the same thing.    Water based Urethane adhesive.   Just add a little water at a time and shake.   Adjust to the viscosity that your liking.   That's what I do.

HT

22 hours ago, ccb said:

Yup, did some digging and they sound identical. Awesome, you might have stumbled onto a cheaper substitute.