Topside2

Forum is quiet...how about some mid-August fishing reports?

81 posts in this topic

How are anglers doing?  

Numbers, size, any big girls?

Pogies are everywhere, but are you finding any mackerel?  

What conditions/techniques are producing?

Heading down to Harpswell area next week for a solid week of fishing and I need some encouragement to fuel my anticipation.

Harpswell should be great from all I’ve heard. Water in the southernmost part of the state has warmed up enough that the bass have seemed to thin out or are at least less prone to being caught either way fishing since mid July has steadily been dropping off for me. Most of my confidence these days kicks in once I find a school of pogies to use as live bait. If not pogies I will use mackerel but needless to say my luck with artificial sand even fresh chunks has been spotty. You should have lots of access to places where Mack can be caught off the shore but I’m not aware of how thick they are up in that area right now. I would assume they can be found close enough to cast into and if I couldn’t get a Mack i would hope a pollock found its way to my rig as that would work great too. Keep your eye out for pogies they are around but some days impossible for me to track down.

If your not a bait guy I would suggest sluggos in white for the day and black at night most people use larger versions but I would try a few different sizes and retrieve speeds until I found what they wanted. That area should be pretty fishy right now good luck and check back in to let us know how you did after!

Posted (edited)

Fishing has been solid for me the last couple of weeks. First light, last light into dark. Still getting fish on top water plugs and trolling from kayak(plugs). Skinny water has been productive on high tides with fish chasing small mixed bait. Lucky to be able to target some flats that don't get much pressure.

Pogy schools are bit more broken up, fish feeding on them has been spotty. At least obvious feeding, heavy splashes etc.

Edited by Chiefy
spelling

1 hour ago, Chiefy said:

Still getting fish on top water plugs and trolling from kayak(plugs).

Chiefy

What kind of top water plugs are you towing behind your kayak.

PM me if your don't want to share this info on an open forum

19 mins ago, Crozzbow said:

Chiefy

What kind of top water plugs are you towing behind your kayak.

PM me if your don't want to share this info on an open forum

Towing plugs, not poppers. Mostly shallow running X-Raps in appropriate size and color.3" ish silver body black back. Silver body green back. 1-2' runners or "top water" shallow .They really aren't true top water poppers, I wasn't clear with my previous post.  I will go with 3'-6' and  10' deep runners depending on depth of bottom. Nothing fancy.

True top water poppers I won't troll just cast and retrieve. These I have very, very specific colors, size ,technique but this time of year its more location based on time of day and tide.I think size and action is more important than color(mostly).

Got into a few in/near Harpswell over the past two days. Sunrise run with my son tomorrow. Splashy, small silver bait is where we are focusing and pulling fish off the rocks. Pogeys haven’t been around much this week, but maybe they are silver sides and peanuts splashing?  

Goal for tomorrow is to cast stick with what is working unless we see some pogies moving and then to play with those. 

Lots of ocean mammal activity in front of our camp, no shortage of bait in the river. 

Fished the fog tonight into the skinny 

Action heated up for a bit nothing big 

only fish to 28, but good activity

as guide/captain tonight was more worried about safety

but fish are out there 

live/dead swimming macs and a few top water successes

give us some cold nights and low humidity please... for this captains sanity 

Jim 

Last 48 hours has made it a different ball game.  Right at sunset, just before the tide turned, strike after strike.  All in the 20 -24 range, but the bait was barley touching the water.  Trying again tonite.

I went out yesterday around midday in my kayak to try to find one of these ubiquitous pogie schools I keep hearing about. I didn’t find them (Newcastle/Rye area) but did catch a 30” trolling tube and worm in about 8’ of water along with a bunch of decent schoolies in the mid-20’s out front along the rocks. I also caught a 27” back in the harbor, which was a surprise as all I’ve caught have been smaller schoolies in there lately. Storms moved in and ended my outing but it was nice to finally catch a couple decent fish during the day on T&W.

32 mins ago, drmevo said:

but did catch a 30” trolling tube and worm in about 8’ of water along with a bunch of decent schoolies in the mid-20’s out front along the rocks. I also caught a 27” back in the harbor,

How about giving us a little more detail on the T&W rigs you used out front.  You picked up a tip or two from the forum it would be great if you would bounced some of what you learned back at us. Basic info on how long the tubes were, whether they were weighted or not weighted, the colors of the tubes that were trolled, and the colors that were most productive etc. can be helpful to other SOL members without being too revealing on your part.

Think about it.

3 mins ago, Crozzbow said:

How about giving us a little more detail on the T&W rigs you used out front.  You picked up a tip or two from the forum it would be great if you would bounced some of what you learned back at us. Basic info on how long the tubes were, whether they were weighted or not weighted, the colors of the tubes that were trolled, and the colors that were most productive etc. can be helpful to other SOL members without being too revealing on your part.

Think about it.

Sure thing, happy to. I had actually started my trolling a bit further out in order to avoid all the lobster traps and to stay clear of the breaking surf. I tried a red Santini tube which has maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 oz weight built into it and I think it’s around 20”. I added another 3/4 oz egg weight above the 3’ fluoro leader since I was in 20-25 feet of water and didn’t want to have to troll it too far behind to get it down (there were still some lobster traps here and there to avoid). No luck with that setup. I’ve had very little luck with the Santini tube in general whether I add weight or not. 

I came upon some shallower water, about 6-10 feet, that wasn’t dangerously close to the breaking surf so I switched to my trusty 15” red T-man tube. I had it ready to go on my lighter tackle setup. All I have is a ball bearing swivel to an 18” steel leader that clips directly to the tube, no weight. The shallower water was also right at a point and near some rocks and structure, so really ideal. I made a number of passes and had a fish on almost every time. The 30” was on my first pass and had the drag on my BG 3000 screaming. I caught the 27” on the same setup back in the harbor except I switched to Gulp sandworms where I used the real thing out front. That was also about 8’ of water. 

I seem to have 4-12ft figured out OK, it’s the deeper water that I struggle with when it comes to T&W. I think I need to try your setup with the bullet weight and beads, @Crozzbow. I really like the 15” T-man tube. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

I seem to have 4-12ft figured out OK, it’s the deeper water that I struggle with when it comes to T&W. I think I need to try your setup with the bullet weight and beads, @Crozzbow. I really like the 15” T-man tube. 

Keep at it you'll figure it out. I think you have the right idea with bullet weight and beads just keep trying heavier and heavier bullet weights (or egg sinkers) until you get to the depth you want, with the least amount of line, at the speed you normally troll. Also, if you use longer tubes be sure too check out that it rotates and is giving you a tight cork screw action at speed. The Santini tubes are okay but I found that when you take them right out of the package I needed to keep fooling around with the bends in the tube to get it to corkscrew the way I want it to corkscrew. The T-man tubes are a bit more forgiving in that aspect.

One other thing you may want to try when your in dark deeper waters are the glow in the dark tubes, the dark red tubes, and the black tubes.

Keep us posted and I'll keep throwing ideas at you. Maybe somebody else can chime in with an Idea or two.

Edited by Crozzbow

8 hours ago, drmevo said:

I went out yesterday around midday in my kayak to try to find one of these ubiquitous pogie schools I keep hearing about. I didn’t find them (Newcastle/Rye area) but did catch a 30” trolling tube and worm in about 8’ of water along with a bunch of decent schoolies in the mid-20’s out front along the rocks. I also caught a 27” back in the harbor, which was a surprise as all I’ve caught have been smaller schoolies in there lately. Storms moved in and ended my outing but it was nice to finally catch a couple decent fish during the day on T&W.

Nice, heard the tube n worm has been on fire lately!! With fish up to 44”

6 hours ago, Crozzbow said:

Keep at it you'll figure it out. I think you have the right idea with bullet weight and beads just keep trying heavier and heavier bullet weights (or egg sinkers) until you get to the depth you want, with the least amount of line, at the speed you normally troll. Also, if you use longer tubes be sure too check out that it rotates and is giving you a tight cork screw action at speed. The Santini tubes are okay but I found that when you take them right out of the package I needed to keep fooling around with the bends in the tube to get it to corkscrew the way I want it to corkscrew. The T-man tubes are a bit more forgiving in that aspect.

One other thing you may want to try when your in dark deeper waters are the glow in the dark tubes, the dark red tubes, and the black tubes.

Keep us posted and I'll keep throwing ideas at you. Maybe somebody else can chime in with an Idea or two.

Thanks, I will try again tomorrow morning. I have a longer t-man black and red tube I’ve been meaning to try. I will set that up on my heavier-duty rod with an egg sinker and keep my lighter tackle rod set up for shallow areas.