CedarWind

perfection loop on fly line

19 posts in this topic

My fly line does not have the welded loop at the tag end.  But, I want to do a loop to loop leader connection.  Do you recommend a perfection loop directly on the end of the fly line or instead, add some mono to the fly line (via nail knot) and making the loop at the end of the mono.  Thanks!

I have always done the latter.  Just a couple/few inches of mono/loop.  I don't want a loop/knot as big as would be there if the loop was in material as heavy as the end of the line.

I seem to recall also seeing fly line with the very end stripped and whip finished back upon itself making a fly line loop, but I just go with the mono/nail knot/loop as you stated.

Posted (edited)

i usually whip a loop with some tying thread and then coat with a UV cured gel

Edited by Sandflee

38 mins ago, CedarWind said:

add some mono to the fly line (via nail knot) and making the loop at the end of the mono. 

Depends upon the the type of core is within the line. The nail knot can slide off pvc coated monofilament cores, the outer layer is fragile and tears. I would do what is suggested  in previous replies.

Perfection loop does work as long as it is coated with Loons knot sense, but I would not trust it on a large fish.

At one point I started whipping a loop into the end of the fly line, something suggested by Lefty Kreh.  However, I had one of these loops fail when a fish hit in the wash - I had connected the 40lb floro end of my tapered leader to the fly line loop, and the loop came back split in half.  Since then, if I am connecting a floro leader to the fly line, I go back to what I was taught years ago by the guys at the Fly Hatch - I double the end of the fly line, tie the nail knot over this with 40lb Floro, and run the end of the Floro thru the small loop before putting a Perfection Loop into the end of the floro.  then my loop-tp-loop connection to the tapered leader is to the loop in the 40lb Floro.  In this way, the small loop in the fly line acts as a stop against the coating failing.

By the way, I still use the whipped loop for the loop-to-loop connection to the built in loop on the Airflo Poly (coated) floating and intermediate leaders.

Making a loop on the end of a fly line is not that hard.

The  biggest mistake most people make is they try to make the loop the first time on the fly line they want to use.

Like anything else this loop should be practiced until you become proficient at it just like anything else. 

It always good to save an old fly line use to make practice loops that can just be cut off and discarded and start over until the loop comes out the way you like.

I always make my loops when I need too with 10 pound mono and a nail knot tool. The thing is all fly lines have a soft outer coating that a simple over hand knot will bight into. Making a 5 or 6 turn nail knot will night into the soft coating and that will never slip and pull loose. If you make a loop with 3 nail knots equally spaced will never slip if cinched tight to night into the coating of the fly line.

what you coat it is up to you, I like a flexible cement of some sort.

Practice first and then dive in for the final attempt on your line you want to use.

If the fly line is not a mono core, you can weld.  I do a lot of welding as I'm always tinkering with making different heads for Spey casting.  There's plenty of info on it if you check with Dr. Google.  I use a heat gun and clear shrink tube but some use a woman's hair straightener.

The other way I did it for YEARS was to whip a loop with the fly tying bobbin and coat with good old fashioned Pliobond.  I never had one of those fail.

Just a word from the wise, sometimes if the butt section of your mono leader is not thick enough it can cut into the fly line loop's coating.

Let us know what you decide on.

I have a spool of 30 and 50lb braided mono.  I create my own blind loops in to that material  and then slide about 6" of fly line into the other end of the braided loop.  Whip finish the end twice to keep it from fraying and add a couple of drops of head cement.  Used it for big game (king salmon, saltwater, etc)  all the time.  Don't recall ever having a failure.  Most of my newer lines already have loops so I do this less often now.

Quinn

Ive used the perfection loop without problems, typically 15-20lb mono on sinking line, never broken off at the loop, but as others have said if I hooked into a truly large fish I would wonder about the strength of that connection.  The last fish I hooked up with was a good sized striper at the mouth of a tidal river on an outgoing tide and it ran hard as hell for the horizon, tons of stress on leader, and knots, no breakage.

Posted (edited)

Making your own braided loops is the way to go.  A super strong and super clean connection.

Edited by 27conch
spelling

Posted (edited)

I will work up to the 3 nail knot method of securing a loop after a little practice.  At the moment I have Ande 30 lb leader material nail knotted to the fly line.  And yes, the 333 line has a mono core.   The "30 lb gel spun" material in the video link, is that fly tying thread?  Can you use 6/0 or 8/0 Uni which is what I have?  Thanks again.

Edited by CedarWind

Posted (edited)

Not sure that the Uni thread you have is strong enough to cinch down the nail knot.  30lb Gel Spun is fly a much thinner (than Dacron) backing material that is commonly used in Big Game Fly fishing.  I use it as backing off the reel arbor (about 1/2 the total backing height) and then I have standard 30lb Dacron (probably 100yds) to the butt end of my 2-handed rod fly lines.  I chose this approach as an alternative to a significantly larger version of the Ross Big Game over the BG 6's that I have, since the increase in weight would likely have caused issues with the nerve damage in my hands. Of course, there is quite the selection of Spey and Big Game sized reels available today that are much lighter than a Ross Big game 7 or 8 would have been, but they are no longer in my economic sphere.

Edited by FlatWing