Need help with Lami Insane Surf specs/reviews

Rate this topic

PlugsOnly

So I am looking into replacing my surf king with an insane surf because the tip broke and is less effective now. I am interested in the 11’ moderate action 2-6 oz spinning rod they offer for the insane but was wondering if anyone’s used it at the canal? My only issue is it being enough power to bring in some big boys, as the surf king took some effort to bring them in (fun as hell through) any comments or reviews help! P.S 11’ is a foot more than my 10’ (9’6” now) surf king, also wondering on the size being too much for me, I am 5’8/5’9 thinking it could be a little too tall for me but i’m looking forward to what you guys say, tight lines!

I have a 10' Insane 2-5oz fast paired with a 6500 Slammer III.

I thought it would be my new favorite jigging set-up but, being 6'4" tall, I'm actually liking it more throwing 2-4oz plugs.

Not sure if it's the status quo but I prefer a shorter rod like my 9' Mojo for jigging. :wee:  

20180529_074321.jpg

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

I like the slightly heavy weight of it as it balances well with the 10' Lami.  CG is mid foregrip with a 3-4oz. out on the tip.

Retrieve is still tight (as is any fully sealed reel) but smooth/quiet and it's slowly loosening up.

50lb Suffix 8/32 Line lay is outstanding!!

Very smooth drag so far on mid teen sized bass. 

Friction held manual only bail is a bonus. 

When I decide to add a new reel to my arsenal, I may look for one with a less tighter feel to it as I rarely swim or dunk. 

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

On 8/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, PlugsOnly said:

So I am looking into replacing my surf king with an insane surf because the tip broke and is less effective now. I am interested in the 11’ moderate action 2-6 oz spinning rod they offer for the insane but was wondering if anyone’s used it at the canal? My only issue is it being enough power to bring in some big boys, as the surf king took some effort to bring them in (fun as hell through) any comments or reviews help! P.S 11’ is a foot more than my 10’ (9’6” now) surf king, also wondering on the size being too much for me, I am 5’8/5’9 thinking it could be a little too tall for me but i’m looking forward to what you guys say, tight lines!

I fish the 11' 2-6 ounce insane surf at the canal its my primary rod.   I primarily jig and it really does a great job with savage sand eels in the 3 and 5 ounce sizes.  I use bucktails too and I have thrown 6 ounce bucktails with no issues when its really ripping and need bottom contact.  

I find it does not throw lighter plugs well so I only throw 3 ounce or heavier plugs on it and that works well.  I have some 3.5 ounce pencils that are only in my canal bag and I also prefer the largest Stick shadd and swimmers on this rod.  If you are planning to throw SP minnows or lighter darters or the smaller stick shads/swimmers you need another plugging rod for that.

I have it paired with the Penn Spinfisher V 6500 bailess reel and 50lb spirewire stealth braid.  I like bailess since switching no more plugs cast off except one time and I am pretty sure the braid was frayed and broke during casting stroke because of its weird upward lob trajectory.  I have landed a few 30+ pound figs on it and it has plenty of power to get them inder control and land them quickly.

For the money its hard to find a better canal rod at $150 for the rod.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

I found the rod to be a bit under rated. It made be cringe loading up 5 oz for a cast. However I found it tosses 1oz way better than I would have imagined. 

Overall wasn’t my favorite rod for the ditch. I keep it as a backup. But for the money it most certainly will catch fish and work at the canal. Also comes with a 1 year warranty

apparenty me and graveyard are polar opposites LOL

Edited by PaddleTail

58 mins ago, PaddleTail said:

I found the rod to be a bit under rated. It made be cringe loading up 5 oz for a cast. However I found it tosses 1oz way better than I would have imagined. 

Overall wasn’t my favorite rod for the ditch. I keep it as a backup. But for the money it most certainly will catch fish and work at the canal. Also comes with a 1 year warranty

apparenty me and graveyard are polar opposites LOL

Indeed.  Surpising such different opinions on same rod.  

8 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Indeed.  Surpising such different opinions on same rod.  

It might be that fact that it is a very moderate action rod. I’m used to more fast action or moderate fast at the most. I’m not used to how the rod loads up to cast

I can't speak for the moderate rated rod but I have the 11’ fast action 2-6 oz spinning rod and I love it.  I jig and toss heavy swimmers & shads with no problems.  I've jigged up many bass in the high 30's out of the heavy currents and had no issues.  

I've had some purists who feel that you need a $600 rod to be "correctly" fishing look down on the rod, but for the money you can't go bad.  I've banged it around on the rocks and really leaned into it with good fish, no issues.  Unlike my buddies who have legends and have snapped them on a normal cast or had to send them back because the super-dooper guide ceramics broke because they just looked at them.