ksong

Cape Cod Canal this morning

126 posts in this topic

why travel to the canal when you can catch fish at home. I get it the nostalgic feeling of being in one of the most popular spots in the world. But man I got into fishing to be away from most people. I was fishing Montauk for a long time and when the word got out I stopped fishing Montauk as much. It’s gotten better the mob has moved on to easier fishing. But what happened is I found other spots with less to no people. This made me a much better fisherman in the end. I feel for the locals at some of these locations, but the fish will move on and so will most of the people. This is a new world and for the guys that are looking for some peace and quiet it will take some effort. It can be had but it takes some work. Now if you enjoy fishing shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of dudes god bless enjoy it. That is not for me.  

6 hours ago, snookster said:

So ya, I'd say the development of super braids and spinning reels to maximize the effectiveness of  these lines had much to do with the current situation at the Canal. I'm sure for many here, it would make no difference if we reverted to those times before "Canal ready" spinning tackle. But to many of the clowns that now frequent the Canal, I'm sure it would be a game changer.

I was speaking to the crowds portion of this only.  While improved gear does increase the odds of the layperson being successful, I still don't think it contributes a whole lot to the crowds.  Wherever there are big fish being caught on a consistent basis, there will be crowds - period.  Guys with Snoopy rods will show up & even though they may not have a shot at reaching the fish (much less landing one) they will still show up with this gear & try. When Montauk was good, you had all kinds showing up - guys in sneakers/shorts on the rocks, guys wearing garbage bags for dry tops - you name it.  Point is, the action & quality of fish draw the crowds - not so much the gear.

But I do agree with you that today's gear makes it a lot easier to be successful.

3 hours ago, hydraman said:

This is a new world and for the guys that are looking for some peace and quiet it will take some effort. It can be had but it takes some work.

Not really - just find a productive looking stretch of water & go fish it.  In all likelihood you'll be alone.  For me, that's much easier & relaxing than driving hundreds of miles to the canal.  But then again, I'm not catching many 40#'ers ;-).

6 hours ago, hydraman said:

why travel to the canal when you can catch fish at home. I get it the nostalgic feeling of being in one of the most popular spots in the world. But man I got into fishing to be away from most people. I was fishing Montauk for a long time and when the word got out I stopped fishing Montauk as much. It’s gotten better the mob has moved on to easier fishing. But what happened is I found other spots with less to no people. This made me a much better fisherman in the end. I feel for the locals at some of these locations, but the fish will move on and so will most of the people. This is a new world and for the guys that are looking for some peace and quiet it will take some effort. It can be had but it takes some work. Now if you enjoy fishing shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of dudes god bless enjoy it. That is not for me.  

Great post and I plan to do just this. 

2 hours ago, vinnyb said:

Not really - just find a productive looking stretch of water & go fish it.  In all likelihood you'll be alone.  For me, that's much easier & relaxing than driving hundreds of miles to the canal.  But then again, I'm not catching many 40#'ers ;-).

Agreed

Decided to stay near home the other day instead of going to the canal because I was a little short on time. 20 minutes in I pulled a 35-40lb bass in a schoolie spot with a VSX150 and 9ft rod all to myself. Sure as hell beat standing shoulder to shoulder in a sea of headlamps, and it beat most trips to the canal size wise.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:23 AM, MikedNJ said:

The few days I was there in June some of the locals were complaining about the crowds to me, but coming from NJ I didn’t think it was that bad. I have at least 50ft on either side of me so I don’t consider that crowded 

Not faulting you or anyone traveling but the different perceptions of "crowded" is an issue.

What may seem open to you will be considered crowded to locals and its differences like this which lead to issues with muggings, crowding, etc. 

4 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Not faulting you or anyone traveling but the different perceptions of "crowded" is an issue.

What may seem open to you will be considered crowded to locals and its differences like this which lead to issues with muggings, crowding, etc. 

That’s why I said I don’t think it was crowded meaning by my standards. 

On 8/15/2018 at 11:51 AM, ksong said:

When money is involved, they become different person. 

I don't want to cast next to commercial surf fishermen. :)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't you posting videos of you "testing" products for stripers and they were being gaffed because you were on a commercial boat?

-Gabe

Read the post again . . . he said don't want to cast next to commercial surf fisherman . . . NOT commercial boat . . . :howdy:

4 mins ago, JoelJ said:

Read the post again . . . he said don't want to cast next to commercial surf fisherman . . . NOT commercial boat . . . :howdy:

Don't need to read it twice..He wants catch and release for the canal because it's convenient for him, but out on the boat where they can take 15 fish rather than 2, that's totally fine. 

I don't think "it's convenient for him" as the reason. Take the post in it's entire context beginning with "When money is involved . . . " 

Posted (edited)

42 mins ago, gabe said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't you posting videos of you "testing" products for stripers and they were being gaffed because you were on a commercial boat?

-Gabe

Did I gaff it ?  

it is a good opportunity to test rods on commercial boat whether it is for striper, tuna or grouper.  

They don't allow fisherman who test their product unless they are good friends of mine. I still get a lot of pressure to produce. 

Just imagine when you make a mistake while fishing next to commercial surf fishermen. 

I released all striper caught in Cape Cod Canal.  In fact, my family asked me to bring one striper to eat, but I don't feel like to keep it at all.

Edited by ksong

the canal is like fishing a trout hatchery. Very little skill required. Doesnt matter if you are jigging the deep or going topwater. Most of the locals fish there because they cant catch on an open beach. 

I don't understand the commercial stance either, but a $25 permit to sell a lucrative fish seems like a recipe for disaster. Alteast in FL you have to earn your RS (Restricted Species) permit which takes dedication to obtain or maintain after loophole purchase of a vessel with one. You have to dedicate yourself to make a living and it is a tough living at that. 

I fish in a primarily recreational setting fishing commercially. Hell I don't want to fish around a bunch of googan recs that don't know what they are doing and make fishing less enjoyable, but it is a shared resource. Is common for recreationals to object to commercial fishing because they feel entitled to have it to themselves, but they don't take it to well when you spin it on them. Commercial fishermen fish for their livelihood while you have the recs out there doing it for social media, SOL pics, meat that gets freezer burnt, or just to inflict pain on fish for their own self pleasure and glory. Regulations and the easy path to make money along with biased thinking seem like the problem here, not the commercial fishermen to me

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gabe said:

-Gabe

I have to agree. That is hypocrisy at it's finest. Lame.

Edited by The Riddler