NausetDog

Tarpon in Islamorada

26 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, NausetDog said:

Upddate on my Isla Morada Tarpon trip on Monday.

Drew Moret put me on tarpon incredibly well all day. Had at least a dozen or more great shots.  I got three eats, two spat the fly in a nanosecond. On the third after a 40 foot backcast  (and a perfect drop if I do say so myself!) I made a textbook strip strike, jumped my first ever Tarpon, and then promptly blew it by not letting it run and popped the 16# class tippet. Most exciting 2 seconds of all time and ones that will haunt my dreams for months to come!

Asking for more is just being greedy, congrats! On your first jump They are now on feeding mode unlike the spring when its just all about chasing a$$ daisy chaining. I know some tarpon anglers are particularly set on records why did he tie on a 16lb tippet? Or that was your choice? 

Great to hear from you BFD patiently waiting for more of your fishing post. 

Posted (edited)

I was 7 for 8 on tarpon to 125lbs down in Islamorada..... not sure what's wrong with you guys... set the hook hard their mouths are hard as a rock.... use bait if your plug does not work- tuna belly will hook one up for sure

Edited by Fishy4335

The leader construction was a butt section of the 50 pound mono, a short section of 16 pound mono, then a short section of 50 lb fluorocarbon tippet. The guide tied it to IGFA standards. As he explained it to me the first two sections are tied in mono to help keep the fly higher in the water column as opposed to fluorocarbon which sinks much faster than mono. I wasn't going for records or anything like that, Drew said he didn't want to cheapen  any Tarpon I might land by tying on a heavier pound class leader. As I also understand it the 16 lb section also allows you to purposely break off a fish if there is a shark looking to grab a quick meal.

Drew estimated the jump I got was a small one approximately 15 pounds. The other two eats were a 90 pounder and the third was I think around 50 or 60 lb.

As far as what's wrong with me I was pretty psyched that I got the three eats including the one jump considering this was essentially my very first Tarpon outing and only the second time I had cast this 12 weight rod. I also learned that this is a very precision casting game when throwing to rolling tarpon. A few feet off either way and you would blow the shot. Likewise you have to deliver the fly very quickly with a minimal number of false casts.  Drew was impressed with my casting distance and accuracy especially on several of the maximum range shots which were between 80 and 90 ft. At least 1/3 of all the shots were delivered on back casts.

9 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

I was 7 for 8 on tarpon to 125lbs down in Islamorada..... not sure what's wrong with you guys... set the hook hard their mouths are hard as a rock.... use bait if your plug does not work- tuna belly will hook one up for sure

Nothing wrong with us whats wrong with you talking about bait, plugs and tuna belly on a fly fishing section :beatin:LMAO! 

I always tell people that tarpon fishing is life changing.  I’ve only done it twice, but oh my god.  I’m literally getting the chills just thinking about it.  Tarpon are amazing.

1 hour ago, thaistick said:

Nothing wrong with us whats wrong with you talking about bait, plugs and tuna belly on a fly fishing section :beatin:LMAO! 

Lol... sorry, didnt see that this was the fly fishing section!! 

Well done!  My ratio is about 1 in 10, and the strike and first jump are all I need.  After that it's just a lot of work.  Drew comes from good stock, we used to run into his dad down there back in the 70's.  Very cool!!

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, NausetDog said:

LOL Nate.  What can I say?

Get those misses out of the way for Albies

Edited by Wicked-Fly