gcjeep14

Best albie set up from the beach ?

79 posts in this topic

When I need the distance ... 12’ CTS Baycaster (3/8 to 1 1/2oz) ZB 22 with 30lb Samurai . Heavy-ish reel balances out the tip weight and casts to the UK.

Love my Stradic 5000 on a 7' Triumph, casts like a dream! Also plan on tossing my Stradic on my 8' Star Rod this year when i need the extra distance. Love Daddy Mac jigs, haven't had much luck with Hogy Epoxy's other than smashing them on the rocks and getting chomped on by blues in the mix. 

I have some experience with these fish.  "Best" really depends on where you fish and how much distance you need.  If I had to pick only one of my albie combos for all around use it would be my 8'10" Aubut with a 5k Gosa loaded with 30lb maxcuatro braid, thinner than PP 20.  Casts amazing and it light enough for a thousand casts.  I have a Tiralejo 10'6" for when they are out farther and a 7'2" Aubut w/ a 4k twinpower when they are in closer.   Caught thousands and thousands of albies from shore combined on combos like this 

You guys are using some heavy gear for albies. 2500 stradic and 8ft salmon rod works for me.

34 mins ago, xjclint said:

You guys are using some heavy gear for albies. 2500 stradic and 8ft salmon rod works for me.

Just incase we hook a 22 pounder....

5 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

But if you use smaller gear and the 22lber takes all of your line and you lose it, it was probably a 30lber and there is no way to prove it :)

6 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Just switched out my Stradic 5000 to a vr 125—-just for that extra fire power for the 20 lbs. !!

2 hours ago, xjclint said:

My 12’ rod is not a heavyweight setup ... I agree the ZB22 is a bit much but it does balance some of the tip weight. I only use this for open beach where I want a little more distance than my traditional Albie rods.

I mostly fish rocky outcroppings and jetties in southeastern MA & RI so my ideal albie rod is a custom 7'6" Liberty rod rated 1/2-1oz and Daiwa BG 3000 spooled with 15lb Sufix 832 braid. Can launch an epoxy jig into the horizon and still be able to slings unweighted albie snaxs a good distance. 

Open beach I am making it work with an S2 1326 paired with my vs150 , it launches 5/8oz epoxy jigs.

Posted (edited)

I notice most Allbie jigs come with trebles, is the hookup rate so bad with singles? The Roberts Peppy, Surface Tension and many metals use single hooks  and seem to hookup reliably.

Edited by Bogey

I swapped out most of my jigs with 4/0 (i think) live bait or dressed hooks last year and noticed a few more misses but not enough to switch back to trebles

Also helps keep the hooks clean when the water is dirty

Posted (edited)

On 8/18/2018 at 11:34 AM, Bogey said:

I notice most Allbie jigs come with trebles, is the hookup rate so bad with singles? The Roberts Peppy, Surface Tension and many metals use single hooks  and seem to hookup reliably.

If you're wondering if the hookup rate with singles is so bad, next time fishing onshore, give a look at the flyfishermen who are using, mostly barbless, single hook flies and the flies are many times smaller than most popular spin lures. Many times, the flyfishermen outfish the spin fishermen. I know, because I am one of those flyfishermen as well as spin when conditions make it more sense to use a spin rod rather than a flyrod. However, I do realize there are other occasions when spin outfishes fly because of distance required when the albies/bonito are breaking beyond a flyrod's casting distance. And, yes, Surface Tension lures, with their fish friendly great wide gap single hooks, cast a mile to those albies/bonito who are way out. Not only for albies but give them a try for big blues!!!!!

To answer your question, I do remove the trebles from Deadly Dicks, Hogys and other lures when I buy them and replace with a single inline hook and have noticed, some, but not many, poor hookups. I would definitely land more albies using the trebles that came with the lures mentioned above but at a greater risk of injury to the albie/bonito (lots of bleeding when hooked much deeper and more difficult to remove from the area between the mouth and the gills, sometimes very gruesome twisting is involved). Fly caught albies, using a single #2 hook, barbless, to me, is the way to go for the safety of the fish, easy release and, it works when the albies are taking the fly. 

I'll continue to remove the trebles from the lures I order for albies/bonito and replace with single hooks because I feel it's how I want to fish to release the fish more safely and easily than when I'm using trebles. Singles hooks are safer for me, too, in case of hooking myself while unhooking the fish. Hey, it's only a fish,right? If it hits and explodes on the lure's single hook, as it has done to me many times, I just cast again. It's like watching a striper or blue hitting a popper, exploding on it but not taking it. Very exciting!

Edited by flysully