R.R. Bridge Fisher

Heavy bucktails tying

26 posts in this topic

I am going to try my luck at tying up some heavy bucktails. I am having a hard time locating some heavy duty tying thread. I've exhausted my options at local shops from RI, MA, ME this week with only a lighter fly thread available. I have some of this smaller thread to get started but I am wondering of any options for something better. I gave away a full brand new box of rod building thread before i thought about doing this. What exactly should I be looking for(kevler?) Or what type size? 

Thanks for any input. 

I prefer to use rod wrapping thread for tying heavy jigs. It’s strong, durable, and it doesn’t cut into the bucktail fibers. Danville’s Big Game thread works well too. It’s a pretty heavy floss. Many guys also like to use Kevlar, which is grea too, but you need to be careful not to cut the hair with your thread wraps. 

Posted (edited)

Everyone has their own idea of what a heavy bucktail is. I use either fine mono or 00 rodbuilding thread for jigs in the 1-3oz class (our habitat just doesn't require anything bigger). Kevlar/GSP is strong, but it's slick, and doesn't grip/hold well at all. D, B, E thread builds too fast for my taste (or anyone else I know). Years ago Gudebrod sold size A "bucktail thread", it was simply size A nylon on 50yd spools marketed to guys that didn't want to buy a bobbin to accommodate a 1oz spool.

FB_IMG_1521893505334.jpg

Edited by Local66

1 hour ago, Surfinator said:

I use cheap 2lb test mono

That works too.  I started by using 4 lb mono.  Now I use the size D nymo because it gives me a good combination of strength and small size.  Anything smaller isn't strong enough.

22 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Size D rod wrapping thread works.

+1 Since I ran out of Guidebrod, I use Prowrap.

15 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

My first try at this. I wanted longer bucktails. Thanks for all the tips guys you are a talented bunch. 

11937.jpeg

Mike,

I have some bucktail (natural white and tan/brown, plus dyed) that might provide longer hairs for you.  Also, I was given some flatwing hackle in various colors at one of our breakfasts last winter by a fellow Troll.  Happy to share any and all with you if you can use them.

8 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Mike,

I have some bucktail (natural white and tan/brown, plus dyed) that might provide longer hairs for you.  Also, I was given some flatwing hackle in various colors at one of our breakfasts last winter by a fellow Troll.  Happy to share any and all with you if you can use them.

Sounds great bud

7 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Sounds great bud

Any time.  Just LMK when you're headed my way again and I'll bring them with me.