Justice12

Buying flies

13 posts in this topic

Hello, Iam fairly new to the sport and I live in Delaware, can anyone point me in a direction to purchase some quality deceivers and similar patterns of flies, a guy on the for sale section had a bunch but I can’t use that page I guess? Does anyone buy on eBay? Thanks for your help

Posted (edited)

You have to have a minimum number of contribution posts to use the BST, and that's your best option for flies. There have been discussions in the past & business names, tackle & fly shop names posted, but links aren't allowed. Searching should give you some names.

There are some very good commercial tyers around too, just depends on how much you're willing to spend. 

As far as Ebay, there's some folks on there who sell decent flies, and some who don't. I don't buy many because I tie my own, but have bought some & the quality has varied. 

I have a lot of flies, so would be happy to send you a few to get you going! You can't get PM's yet either I don't think, but you can contact me via Instagram or Facebook. Just search jhester or #tidewaterfly. 

Just get in the game & post some of the fish you're catching and be involved in the discussions here! Ask other questions as you need, not just about buying stuff! That will go a long ways with learning & getting replies from folks here. This site is a priceless resource of knowledge! 

I used to live in MD and have fished in DE some. Most times it was at Indian River inlet or the state park there at Lewes. I used to fish at Ocean City too. 

Edited by tidewaterfly

I tied this Deceiver awhile back, so you can see what type of flies I have. 

100_5621.JPG

check out bob macdonald of Free Fallen Flies on instagram and or facebook.  He ties great salt water flies and will custom tie anything you want at fair prices.  his handle on insta is donaldbobmac

Bob MacDonald is an excellent tyer! 

If you can make it to Tochtermans, do it.  Its an awesome store, has a good selection of local flies and the storefront sign hanging outside should be on the National Register of Historic Places its so cool.  http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/outdoors/bs-sp-outdoors-tochtermans-fly-shop-anniversary-0207-20160206-story.html

If you PM me I will post you some clousers and some deceivers to get started.

A quick plug for Mike Rice from Mud Dug Flies.  Flies are top quality, durable, and most importantly, catch fish.

That deceiver is such a classic, nice looking fly.

Thanks! It certainly is, and they still catch plenty of fish! :)

Do yourself a major favor and visit bigyflyco.com I have been using them exclusively for years. Unbeatable prices and good quality. 

I would recommend All Points Fly Shop + Outfitter. They are in Maine and they do custom fly orders shipped to you.

Big Y Fly and Flyshack. Price, selection, service. I would try tying my own but one more hobby will create household problems.

I also but some expensive $5 + flies and occasionally use Orvis which cost a bit less, about 1/2.