Current situation with the canal

Rate this topic

Ditch

Here's the perspective of random Joe Shore fisherman.. living somewhere along the northeast metroplex corridor(Portland to DC)

"so.. you're tellin me I can punch in the #s to my GPS.. then hit the highway, kick back.. and in a few hours I'll be at a huge spot off 2 major highways where I can:

• cast topwater for 25-50" bass right from shore

• feet from my car

• hotel rooms free parking free overnight parking 

• coffee food beer liquor gas

• high grade tackle shops within 1 mile

• regular bites on a lunar schedule, during the nicest weather of the year

• can plan my trips years in advance

• or can wait til bite verifies on social media then hop in car and go

• if I want to show off my prowess as an outdoorsman?

• grab some likebutton content for social media?

• Impress my girlfriend, family pet, neighborhood stray cat, random fallen log, etc?

>> Here you go.

There will be heavy crowds from now until the fish no longer show on a regular basis. Other than that, theres zero inhibitory factors to dissuade people from coming here en masse.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

5 hours ago, rst3 said:

There will be heavy crowds from now until the fish no longer show on a regular basis. Other than that, theres zero inhibitory factors to dissuade people from coming here en masse.

:agree:  If I hadn’t been blessed with friends and family that introduced me to the outdoors as a child, and I had the open opportunity to “easily” engage in a battle with trophy fish from shore with minimal monitary investment.... I could be that clueless goog next to you, having the time of his life landing his first fish bigger than a bluegill.     

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

I love when people who hate the internet come to the internet to complain about it. :laugh:

And I love when people who were dead wrong on a subject like burning the Canal from internet reports can’t admit they were wrong. Very, very wrong. 

5 hours ago, Joe G said:

Years back when the rules were first discussed, the late JFBasser,  AKA John Ferze, suggested the mere mention of the word Canal was a spot burn, and we should avoid using the word Canal. 

Sadly, no one took him seriously and tabled his proposal.   :dismay:

In retrospect, the guy was a prophet.

He must be looking down now, laughing and saying........"I told guys you so".

I was right there with him saying the same thing. I also continued after he was gone. I was looked at as an A hole and not a prophet. I,m sure he is looking down also.

5 hours ago, night owl said:

Remember when it was said here on SOL that the canal couldn't be burnt because it's so big? Now look! There are hundreds of millions of people in america. And they are all coming and from all over too. But as long as you ONLY mention the "east end", "the middle", or the "west end",  it won't get burnt. Bull$hit!! :mad:

Truth! Still some of us left here who remember what what said and by whom.

3 hours ago, Tailslap said:

I was looked at as an A hole and not a prophet.

Neither an A-hole or a prophet.

The proper word is Luddite.

Luddite:
A person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology.

It's 2018. This is reality. This is life today.
You cannot change it.
Adapt or drop out like a dinosaur.  Your choice

No offense meant but bitching about reality doesn't change it. This is the world we live in today. 
Don't like the crowds, fish somewhere else.
Don't like crowds? Don't fish on the weekends. 

Edited by TroutGhost

10 hours ago, Applehead said:

I honestly find all the complaining far more exhausting than the crowds.   Are they ideal?  No way.   But they are what they are.   Started fishing with my father when I was 4.  I'm 35 now.  I've seen terrible fishing, and then what we've had the last few years here.   I can say for sure there's FAR, FAR more out of state guys than ever before.   Gonna be real hard to justify a 4 hour drive when things go back to normal.   We can only control our own actions, and it's best to try to enjoy yourself and not get hung up in the bull****.  Do things the right way with respect, and try to stay positive if possible.   These conditions will change eventually....

Yeah but some of us will be dead by then. :p

Pfantum Pfishah

Just to let  you know the same thing happens to other spots but on a smaller scale. Had a spot in my vicinity that is a great spring producer of nice keeper bass to the mid 20lb range. Maybe 10 guys that all new each other fished it for ever. Then about 5 years ago the"googan gang"  showed up. Had no clue at first. Came down in boots and had to leave as tide rose. Then they copied what we used for lures, gear, ect. despite our best efforts to remain secretive. Then they began catching and spreading the word amongst there circle. Then the group's of them coming down grew in size. Now they show up in 3 vehicles loaded with up to 15 fisherman. And did I mention the best part. They pull the same crap as the canal. Litter everywhere after they leave,keeping short fish and over their limit, moving in on fisherman that were there way before them, blazing headlamps on the entire time they are there, and then when confronted about it "No speaka da english". I just can't understand the lack of respect for other anglers and the environment. Pathetic! Pretty sure they are canal regulars as well by now if they weren't before. I've stood my ground with them and still fish spot but it will never be the same again. 

13 hours ago, night owl said:

There were THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of fishermen at that canal this weekend. IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET!

It's local tackle shops with their constant EXAGGERATED fishing reports. They use everything to drum up business. They constantly draw attention to the canal. They burn the canal for the love of money. Shops like MACO'S is even publishing POLE numbers on a popular weekly fishing report! 

It's also PRIDEFUL fishermen showing off all the time by posting everything they catch. They must truly be LOSERS in life so they try and make up for it by looking like a winner on the internet.

SOL has also done much harm. I'm not going to get into that.

I've been fishing the canal long before the internet existed. I remember what it was like. What my eyes see today is disgusting! I hope they shut down the canal. Local tackleshops will be killed and buried buy their own greed.

Same thing hapened to Montauk.There used to be miles and miles of beach on the "South Side" where you would rarely if ever see another fisherman.Now its owned by guides and heroes.Havent fished there since 1990.