Ditch

Current situation with the canal

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

I've been fishing the canal for as long as I remember,,, well before it was the popular thing to do to post on social media,,,,My dad would bring me well before I could drive,,,, back then it was pink andes line and a laundry basket to keep your herring in. your catch would feed your family,,,  the new technology is great, the new crowds are not,,, never seen so many verbal and even physical confrontations with fishing,,,,

What is the theory on this??? Is this just the way the world is now or are a different class of people getting into fishing? Can anyone just fish without posting about it and calling and texting everyone they know>>???

Sad that you can't enjoy the quiet anymore,,,,,,,

I believe many of those weekend warriors don’t enjoy or respect the sport. They come there for an easy catch. You put them anywhere else and they would be clueless. I see these moon cows people are holding up and I’m like “good for you, come to where I fish and do that”. Thats what I thought.

Also, the more people you have in one area, the higher number of idiots you have within than population.

As far as tensions go I think people are tired and I’m sure many drive hours to fish these moons. So in their mind nothing is going to stop them from getting the spot they came there for. Respect goes right out the window.

I got up around midnight to try and grab some turf.  I was home by 230am.  The crowds were beyond belief.

There used to be a time when there was no room, you just moved on and went somewhere else.  No more. The guy who got up at 2am to grab his rock for the dawn tide gets mugged by the guys who decided to sleep in and get there at 7am.  Then the muggers laugh as he throws in the towel, picks up and goes home. Nice. :(

It's hard to believe that there was a time when you might get into a good fishing pattern and you would just about take that knowledge to your grave.  Sure, you might tell one or two close trusted friends but it didn't go any farther than that.  The need to brag online is human nature gone weird.  

13 mins ago, bob_G said:

I got up around midnight to try and grab some turf.  I was home by 230am.  The crowds were beyond belief.

There used to be a time when there was no room, you just moved on and went somewhere else.  No more. The guy who got up at 2am to grab his rock for the dawn tide gets mugged by the guys who decided to sleep in and get there at 7am.  Then the muggers laugh as he throws in the towel, picks up and goes home. Nice. :(

Bob last week, fishing Nauset beach did not see a sole for miles, now if I send the seals your way it would be heaven:laugh::laugh:

26 mins ago, codfish said:

Canal today, Yiks 

There is no need for this when you have miles of beach to your selves?

canal.jpg

That's NOTHING in that picture. I saw MUCH WORSE than this last night. Guys were less than an arms length away along large sections! Bodies were STACKED like CORDWOOD! I saw people sleeping on the ground wrapped in blankets like it wash Black Friday and money was being given away. No words can describe what I saw. None!

1 hour ago, codfish said:

Friends text from today " 7 AM Canal shoulder to shoulder"

That's nothing, same deal at 1 or 2 AM. It's 24-7 on moon tides, especially new moons. Somewhat lighter crowds on tweener tides during weeknights.

4 hours ago, Ditch said:

I've been fishing the canal for as long as I remember,,, well before it was the popular thing to do to post on social media,,,,My dad would bring me well before I could drive,,,, back then it was pink andes line and a laundry basket to keep your herring in. your catch would feed your family,,,  the new technology is great, the new crowds are not,,, never seen so many verbal and even physical confrontations with fishing,,,,

What is the theory on this??? Is this just the way the world is now or are a different class of people getting into fishing? Can anyone just fish without posting about it and calling and texting everyone they know>>???

Sad that you can't enjoy the quiet anymore,,,,,,,

There were plenty of attitudes and fights back in the herring days. Human nature hasn’t changed too much. 

It is a crazy place to fish, but we choose to go there. Guys that fish Salmon would laugh at our complaining about space. 

54 mins ago, codfish said:

Canal today, Yiks 

There is no need for this when you have miles of beach to your selves?

canal.jpg

Post a picture of the east end tomorrow. Make sure you snap the photo when someone from tier 2 (the service road) is casting over the heads of the tier 1 group. This looks like a great spot compared to east end mainland side. You could squeeze another 10-20 guys in there.

Lotta truth to that. We tend to forget what the herring run was like when we were allowed to dip net our own and liveline, although it diminished when the herring stopped running upriver. There has always been a crazy element to the Canal that you had to put up with. It just seems more widespread and amped up now.

There were THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of fishermen at that canal this weekend. IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET!

It's local tackle shops with their constant EXAGGERATED fishing reports. They use everything to drum up business. They constantly draw attention to the canal. They burn the canal for the love of money. Shops like MACO'S is even publishing POLE numbers on a popular weekly fishing report! 

It's also PRIDEFUL fishermen showing off all the time by posting everything they catch. They must truly be LOSERS in life so they try and make up for it by looking like a winner on the internet.

SOL has also done much harm. I'm not going to get into that.

I've been fishing the canal long before the internet existed. I remember what it was like. What my eyes see today is disgusting! I hope they shut down the canal. Local tackleshops will be killed and buried buy their own greed.