Mr T

Florida summer fishing

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Been here all week in Tampa area. Today is the first chance to get on the water, I go to the first place and the beach is closed and they tell me it’s not good to get in the water because of bacteria.   Red tide I ask?   No, just regular bacteria, red tide hasn’t got here yet... 

ok let’s go to St. Pete Clearwater area. I drive to tarpon springs and soon as I get here it starts dumping.   Good lightning pretty close and locals are heading in.

soo want to fish but waving a graphite stick in a lightning storm  seems pretty risky.    Dang it, this  isn’t the way it’s supposed to happen! 

B071124C-FF96-41CE-B163-0EEB87192A43.png

That's pretty much exactly how it's supposed to happen, aside from the water quality issues. Expect a thunderstorm every day from 2-4pm, occasionally something worse.

Yep. And the red tide is just to your south on Anna Maria Island. A goliath grouper washed up dead yesterday. The county is going to the beach every day to clean up the dead fish. Matter of time before it prolly slides north. 

Florida is one of the lightning capitals of the U.S. People get killed in this state from lightning. You gotta be real careful with it.

August temperatures call for early and short fishing trips. Start early before sun up and get out by mid morning.  I released a good sized Snook by 7:35AM over on the east coast. By 9AM the sun was intense and the tide went slack. The action did not look promising so it was time to leave. The bait is moving now so there will be some good action early in the day.
A trip late in the day is a possibility but storms form late in the day and the seabreeze picks up.

Here is a couple of weather links:

https://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?rid=tbw&product=NCR&loop=yes

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=TPA&itype=wv&size=large

Edited by Tunataker

It usually rains about once a day here but  wait an hour and it's often over.  Since winds are coming in from the warm Gulf water those rains are the only thing cooling the area.  This weekend will be wet but Monday its back to just plain hot.  In what part of Tampa are you staying?  Based on that I'll recommend a few places you can wade but I'll PM them to you. 

Edited by kayak99

Yeah I know it’s summer Florida weather, was just kinda griping while I sat it out.     It stopped 20 min after I posted, so off I went- fished till about 3, some locals were throwing spinning gear, according to them it should have been on fire, but I never saw anyone bent on anything.   Ended up running back to Apollo beach and walked it, didn’t really feel it happening. 

I’m in Riverview this week.

spent last week in Sarasota. Beach was unfishable due to red tide and dead fish on the beach.No one was in the water because of the smell and irritation to your eyes and throat.  According to reports they took 20 tons of dead fish off Siesta Key. I did get out with a guide and fished the north bay one day. After a 30 minute ride surprisingly  we found some clean water and had few shots at tarpon but could not get one to bite.

Ended the day with a few jacks, trout, ladyfish, and luckily a real nice pompano.

I have been going down to Sarasota for the last 20 years and never found it to be this bad.

I would advise anyone who is contemplating a trip to South Florida for either the beach or fishing to check the local red tide reports.

Just got back from vaca. Weather been going crazy here, with heavy rain and lightning. My security camera was going nuts while I was away, sending me alerts like crazy due to hearing thunder and lightning. Looks like the trend is for that to continue for a while. 

Stay St. Pete and to the north. Don't go south. Red tide is a problem.

Ref lightning, a good source of info is the real time lightning map. Just google real time lightning map. 

I also use Intellicast radar summary to see which way the storms are going but it usually doesn't matter...something is pretty always coming at me. 

For phone apps, try My Radar Pro. Works well.