Tackle

Bonito’s are in!!

61 posts in this topic

Had a really difficult time focusing on the fishing in that video...

Any chance of finding these from the beach/inlets?

Had a big school of maybe large bunker violently flying around last night - big white fish. Could not identify. Nothing was hit and I threw everything I had...

Posted (edited)

On 8/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, ferret said:

For the sake of clarity I linked a video shot down in FL, what we call false albacore, they call bonita

Damn,

That looks like a Black hole?

Edited by Popasilov

mulford, goldsmith, trumans, and mccabes all had them a bit off shore this week. it was spotty but they are there.

hey fishfigure - read yr 101 spot burn principles - hope I don't see you out here !!!

Posted (edited)

LOL

Parking and town pass are number #1 thing with those spot burns.

Edited by Popasilov

I've only caught them from shore and usually just by chance, throwing deadly dicks or hogy epoxy jigs when there are reports they're around or I see other guys lining up to fish.

How would you target them from a boat?  Do they have any special characteristics that let you know you're looking at bonito and not bass/blues?  I know they're topwater feeders - is there something to the way they break that gives you a clue, or is it just find the birds/fish at the surface and go for broke?

After you see them once you will know the difference.. the way they bust on top is different then bass and blues .. and normally they moving much faster and they light up so neon green when fired up .. 

On 8/24/2018 at 1:47 PM, Mbrody said:

Had a really difficult time focusing on the fishing in that video...

Any chance of finding these from the beach/inlets?

Had a big school of maybe large bunker violently flying around last night - big white fish. Could not identify. Nothing was hit and I threw everything I had...

Snag and drop, always carry a small weighted treble in your surf bag

On 8/29/2018 at 5:59 PM, frazerp said:

hey fishfigure - read yr 101 spot burn principles - hope I don't see you out here !!!

If spot burning was physical, New York would have a asteroid crater. Aint no spots left to burn. Ambres are already waiting on that tip of the jetty, on every jetty. 

6 hours ago, BassPD said:

Snag and drop, always carry a small weighted treble in your surf bag

Good idea...

3 hours ago, fishfigure said:

If spot burning was physical, New York would have a asteroid crater. Aint no spots left to burn. Ambres are already waiting on that tip of the jetty, on every jetty. 

Yea but 10 boats or people is better than 100. It’s just a rule we like to abide with on this site. No attack meant but this is the way it’s done. 

On 8/21/2018 at 7:20 PM, BrianBM said:

Are you sure they're the same species?  South of the Mason/Dixon line, "bonito" means "little tunny," a/k/a "false albacore. 

People in florida call falsies Bonita. They also call true bonito northern mackerel so take that how it is.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, frazerp said:

If Frazer don't get you, one of us other locals will. Much of our access is technically off limits. We don't burn our spots.  So keep your damn mouth shut.