flyangler

New Poll: 72% of Americans Think ‘It Should Be Easier to Sue’ Media Who Knowingly Publish Fake News

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I guess Trump has used the bully pulpit to snooker over 70% of American adults into believing the Media peddles fake news, right? 

New Poll: 72% of Americans Think ‘It Should Be Easier to Sue’ Media Who Knowingly Publish Fake News

August. 8. 2018

A recent Axios/SurveyMonkey poll found that an overwhelming majority of Americans (72%) believe the news media knowingly and intentionally report "fake, false or purposely misleading" news stories, MRCTV reported.

A new Ipsos poll went a step further and found that the same large percentage of Americans (72%) believe “it should be easier to sue reporters who knowingly publish false information.”

The poll also found that nearly one-third of Americans agree with President Trump that the news media are “the enemy of the American people.”

Trump has clarified that he meant only “fake news” when referring to the news media as the “enemy” but insisted a “large percentage of it” was dishonest.

"They asked my daughter Ivanka whether or not the media is the enemy of the people. She correctly said no. It is the FAKE NEWS, which is a large percentage of the media, that is the enemy of the people!" he recently tweeted.

Even so, most Americans seem to agree that fake news has become big enough of an issue to warrant legal action.  

The large majority of Americans (85%) support freedom of the press as "essential for American democracy” and 68% say that “reporters should be protected from pressure from government or big business interests.” This is consistent along party lines.

Even so, over a quarter of Americans (26%) say that “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.”

Republicans are more likely than Democrats to distrust the media.

“While a plurality – 46% – agree ‘most news outlets try their best to produce honest reporting’, there are very stark splits by the partisan identification of the respondent with most Democrats (68%) generally believing in the good intent of journalists, but comparatively few Republicans (29%),” reports Ipsos. “And when we ask questions with specific partisan cues, the political split is very wide. For instance, 80% of Republicans but only 23% of Democrats agree that ‘most news outlets have a liberal bias,’ and 79% of Republicans but only 11% of Democrats agree, ‘the mainstream media treats President Trump unfairly.’”

The Ipsos poll of 1,003 U.S. adults was conducted August 3-6 and has a credibility interval of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for all respondents.

Edited by tomkaz

Posted (edited)

I'm good with that. Abusing the power of the press as they do is beyond despicable. 

Edited by Rickman

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, boxlock said:

As much as I hate the media their silly hate Trump bias is going to elect him in 2020.

Another manifestation of this will be polling that continues to not accurately reflect the people's views when it comes to heads up, person vs person, polling. Those who distrust the Media most (right of center) will avoid or refuse to be polled and will be under-represented in certain polling. 

Edited by tomkaz

Does "the media" include True Pundit and other internet sources with no TV/Newspaper presence?

3 hours ago, fjr419 said:

Does "the media" include True Pundit and other internet sources with no TV/Newspaper presence?

No, not in my usage. When I capitalize Media, that refers to the MSM, the formerly MainStream Media.

A little over a year ago, I stopped calling the Media "mainstream" as I felt they’ve lost that monicker due to their blatantly choosing a side. I actually posted that here somewhere but I am sure no one read it. 

Anywho, no, when I say capital-M Media, I am referring to the formerly Mainstream Media and Truepundit and the like would never be classified as such. 

FWIW, I also classify some internet-only sites as Media if they are staffed by mostly former big time Media "journalists". Vox and Politico would be two such sites. 

I believe folks should just ignore the fake news media. 

Why feed into fake news? Only a fool would succumb to rubbish news.

To me it just seems like another avenue to sue. Who's behind this? The lawyers? They want their piece of the pie? :howdy:

10 hours ago, tomkaz said:

The poll also found that nearly one-third of Americans agree with President Trump that the news media are “the enemy of the American people.”

Trump is Winning!  Sad.

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

What we really need to be able to do is sue politicians who lie and peddle fake news.

1) Who is the arbiter of "fake news" in such instances? 

2) Politicians are protected against individual lawsuits related to their duties, no? 

22 mins ago, tomkaz said:

1) Who is the arbiter of "fake news" in such instances? 

Trump, of course. He's a paragon of truth and virtue.

6 hours ago, fjr419 said:

Yup like Alex Jones so the Sandy Hook parents can sue his a** off.

My guess it won’t be the NYT or WP who get sued out of business 

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

What we really need to be able to do is sue politicians who lie and peddle fake news.

It's always been known that politicians lie... equating them to the media or vice versa  is foolish! Media was supposed to be the equalizer. Unfortunately it now is just another arm of a political divide destroying any guarantee of truth. The media has destroyed itself!

7 hours ago, fjr419 said:

Don’t be silly. Of course not.