yogiiiboy

Latest round of sanctions are crippling Russia's economic market....

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Your funny Brian, OBama let Russia  run amuck but you blame Trump for being soft on them, very funny.

Edited by Flybyme

Maybe President Trump started the Space Force to stick Killiar's uranium up Uranus?

Jeepers that didn't come out like I thought it should?

2 hours ago, Flybyme said:

Your funny Brian, OBama let Russia  run amuck but you blame Trump for being soft on them, very funny.

In reality, it is not funny, it is sad. Why even bother to convince people like this. I don't even try.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

You're on to a very good question.  Why is President Trump pulling so hard one way while the sum of the government pulls the other?

1.  Wide array of multiple sanctions.  Most sanctions are hangovers from Obama. I'm not sure of the extent to which the bureaucracies have authority to impose them, and the extent to which the President has to authorize them.  I think that the President is torn, deeply torn, conflicted between his own peculiar need to placate and grovel, and the constant advice he gets that every new kiss delivered to Putin's cheek is perceived by many as indicating that Putin has something on him. The latest sanctions follow on the death in England of some poor soul who picked up a container that had contained Novachuk. Presumably this was used by the assassin who tried to kill a Russian defector and his daughter. 

That assassination attempt didn't come up in Helsinki (if it did, I missed it.)  After the President's shabby performance, as he became aware of how widely he was being criticized for siding with Putin, I think he felt he had to Do Something to look a little better. So now we have assassination sanctions. Fine ... but in the past, when Putin's killings came up, he'd shrug them off.  "We do bad things too," and so on.

2.  Arming Ukraine. The President is a businessman. This is a sale, make the sale!  Export requirements for weapons have been relaxed (not that they were all that demanding anyway.)  I don't see this as demonstrating any intent to help Ukraine as much as it indicates his interest in letting business do business. (I think that this is fine, myself, Obama was too cautious on this issue.)

3. Killing Russian mercenaries.  You're referring, I think, to a fight in Syria, when American forces came under fire from Russian attackers, members of a mercenary company.  The name escapes me, but they're active all over the world.  The American force warned them off; Russian authorities denied being able to control them (which I doubt) and the American unit was able to call in a lot of fire over the course of the day. I've read that they suffered 300+ casualties. 

How does this equate to a Presidential decision? I doubt this ever reached his desk, and it shouldn't have. The necessity of force protection couldn't wait for that. No doubt the Pentagon was informed, but I doubt anyone asked the White House for permission to shoot back.

That's as it should be. President Trump is said to have delegated more authority to commanders in theater, as with the decision to use that huge conventional bomb awhile ago (MOAB?)  I don't see the American forces' protecting themselves as reflecting Presidential policy on Russia at all. 

4.  See answer to Number #1.  

5.  Opposing Nordstream came not as opposition to Russia or Putin. He phrased it as part of his condemnation of Germany. His offer of American natural gas is specious.  There isn't a single facility on the East Coast that's set up to liquefy natural gas for shipping. If we broke ground today, a facility might be ready in ten years. 

6.  You know more on the ban in partnering with Russian petroleum operations then I do, but wasn't that a part of the sanction plan enacted before Trump took office, following the enactment of the Magnitsky Act?

We're fortunate that the routine machinery of government keeps pressing Trump on Russia, against his own preferences.  The question remains, why is he so deferential to Putin?  Blackmail?  Pee tapes? Can Putin prove that the Trump Organization was actively involved in laundering dirty Russian money?  There is an article in the New Yorker, the July 9-23 issue, discussing Russian purchases of units in Trump developments. The writer noted that 92 units in one development were purchased entirely with cash, no bank loans or other credit. large real estate purchases for cash goes with money laundering like ham with eggs. (These were all units that started above one million $.)

While I've been writing, another speculation occurs to me. The single greatest driver in all of Trump's policies is to find what Obama did, and do the opposite.  Obama attempted a new policy towards Russia. It went nowhere.  Great! That means I, the bigly, very stable genius, will demonstrate that I can moderate Russian conduct where Obama failed!  I'll undo all the things that have restrained Russia in the past, NATO, the EU, and ... THAT will show Obama! 

Trump is vain enough to think in those terms. 

OH MY GOD Counselor.................:fire: :fire:

p.s.  you're still putting credence on PEE TAPES ??  :fire: :fire: :fire:

Edited by yogiiiboy

3 hours ago, Flybyme said:

He's still throws around the possibility of "Pee Tapes" for cripes sake..........:dismay:

1 min ago, BrianBM said:

I won't discard it so long as I can get a rise out of someone here.  ;)

You DID get your detailed answer, though. 

You is a funny dude...........(funnier than the "other one") :th:

I’m starting to believe Brian. I think there really are tapes of Russian Hookers peeing on Trump. He can’t be too much of a germophobe if he had unprotected sex with Stormy Daniels. 

From now on, I’m with Mully!

22 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

I see........so you're suggesting that he's in bed with Putin?  Ok...let me throw that same softball right back at you...

Do you think that romance is still strong and sparking said fireworks in the face of:

- wide array of multiple sanctions

- arming of weapons to Ukrainians

- killing Russian mercenaries 

- expelled Russian intelligence officers in Russian Consulates throughout the U.S. for chemical weapon use in the UK 

- opposed Putin's largest geo-economic project, the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline

- the prevention of numerous U.S. companies from partnering with Russian offshore oil projects, denying these projects access to capital resources

- etc.

- etc.

Tell me Brian.......do you really think the "Putin Love Story" is alive and well??  

See my friend, This is where you lose people !  :dismay:

Don't forget how tuff Obama was with Putin, promising to be "flexible" after the election. I guess he wanted to try out those new sox with the handles knitted right in.