Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EazyP

Advice on Striper Fishing in the Dark (From a Dock)

20 posts in this topic

Long story short, I'm staying near Ocean City, N.J. for the summer, and have been doing a lot of striper fishing at night. The first few weeks of July I was hammering the stripes across the street from where I've been staying on chunks of mackerel. However, some of the people who own boats on the dock, and fish it at night as well, took notice to how well I was doing, and shut out the dock lights. Ever since they shut the dock lights off, all of the baitfish moved elsewhere, and there has been very little activity. I've gotten a few stripes here and there, but it hasn't been as productive as it was when the light was on. It's really sad that grown a-s men can't leave me be and have to stress over me catching fish from their dock, but it is what it is. I can easily find somewhere else to fish, but this dock is very convenient for me at night because it's basically a few feet from my front door.

Besides finding a new place to fish, any tips on how I should go about this? Do you think the dock light being off is 100% the reason I haven't been doing as well? Should I try a different setup or approach?

Thanks.

I wish it was always convenient. Those guys aren't jealous of your fishing, they just don't want you fishing near their boats. I've seen it in the back bays with houses that have lights on their docks. Once they see the same boats coming back, or any boat in general, they shut the lights off to keep you away. You could either talk to them like mentioned above, change your spots, or get a cast net and find some live peanut bunker and cast them there without the lights.  

I think you're both right about talking to someone on the dock. I'm pretty sure the people who turned the lights out are the same clowns who came up to me at night a couple times making smart comments and reminding me of all the limits. I know they fish here too, and know they've been stressing over me catching fish in their honey hole, so they probably turn them back on when they're fishing. Well played lol. I'll find someone who isn't as petty to talk to and work something out with.

Bring your own underwater LED light with a small battery. Put it in and wait for the bait to show up.

Very few people get excited about others fishing their dock lights.  I spend alot of time doing it up here and down in florida and have experienced this many times.  Alot of people just arent going to like strangers snooping around their property at night, youre certainly going to piss people off if you're casting anyway near their boats. 

Find a couple other lights/spots in the area and switch up locations.  Fishing one light over and over is a sure-fire way to get it shut off, plain and simple.

Do you keep your fish? If so offer to share your catch with the person that controls the lights. If they don't like fish  maybe a few shared beers and a little fish talk could would create some goodwill. Good luck 

16 hours ago, EazyP said:

Long story short, I'm staying near Ocean City, N.J. for the summer, and have been doing a lot of striper fishing at night. The first few weeks of July I was hammering the stripes across the street from where I've been staying on chunks of mackerel. However, some of the people who own boats on the dock, and fish it at night as well, took notice to how well I was doing, and shut out the dock lights. Ever since they shut the dock lights off, all of the baitfish moved elsewhere, and there has been very little activity. I've gotten a few stripes here and there, but it hasn't been as productive as it was when the light was on. It's really sad that grown a-s men can't leave me be and have to stress over me catching fish from their dock, but it is what it is. I can easily find somewhere else to fish, but this dock is very convenient for me at night because it's basically a few feet from my front door.

Besides finding a new place to fish, any tips on how I should go about this? Do you think the dock light being off is 100% the reason I haven't been doing as well? Should I try a different setup or approach?

Thanks.

Hey save some for me Easy. Lol. Yeah true on the grown men part. There is only one striper in the whole ocean. Do you think your gonna gettum over me? Good luck buddy and hope you score the big one! 

Stripers have some of the best olfactory senses, right behind Salmon and Catfish. Use attractant from the store, or mix up your own brew to bring em in.

Bring your own lights. Even underwater as mentioned above to attract the bait. I don't have a problem with sharing a slab or 2 with a nice guy, but giving your catch to someone who is purposefully trying to ruin your bite is basically like being blackmailed.

Who would want some creepy inconsiderate guest of your neighbor lurking around their place at night? With chunks no less lol...

They have every right to not allow you to fish on “their” dock.  Did you introduce yourself? Did you ask if you could fish their dock first? Did you thank them fishing their dock and their lights previously? I doubt it. 

You should go apologize for being a creep.

If it was my dock,and I wanted to fish it, I think I might

have turned the lights out on you too. Sounds like this

might be your first summer there? Maybe hes been fishing it for

years and not going out cuz he saw you were there? You possibly

letting fish flop on dock that might bother him?Is it his dock?

25 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Who would want some creepy inconsiderate guest of your neighbor lurking around their place at night? With chunks no less lol...

They have every right to not allow you to fish on “their” dock.  Did you introduce yourself? Did you ask if you could fish their dock first? Did you thank them fishing their dock and their lights previously? I doubt it. 

You should go apologize for being a creep.

I thought I was missing something here, I agree one hundred percent with you. People would be on the borrowing your net, your weights and your knife and leaving a mess to bring the gulls to crap all over. During hunting season they would be in your stand, give an inch take a mile.

Posted (edited)

If its not a public dock you probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

Even if it's public ( like a city or town dock) where they rent out slips for the season boat owners with slips don't want anyone fishing near or around their boats. Typically the boat owner has the right to the slip and the finger pier next to the boat which is off limits to others. At public docks the main dock connected to the face wall is accessible but even public docks have fishing and crabbing restrictions.

Unfortunately the slobs and theives have caused lots of things to be off limits!

Residents certainly don't want people fishing off their private docks and you shouldn't be able to enter private marina docks unless you have a boat at the marina for obvious reasons like liability, and security.

When we had our boat most boat owners would challenge anyone on the dock at night and noone ( not even boat owners ) could fish or crab off the dock.

If you fished  or crabbed you did it off your boat which was a good way of monitoring who was on the dock especially at night. And if you made a mess the mess stayed on your boat not the dock.

Boat and dock owners have all kinds off expensive stuff on docks and boats and work hard to protect their stuff.

Edited by glennsav