CR Yaker

Hobie owner survey

Hobie owners warranty claim survey due to cracked hull.    61 members have voted

1. 1. As an owner of a Hobie kayak, have you ever experienced a hull crack on a 2009 to most recent Hobie kayak and filed a warranty claim? (If 4 or more Hobies owned answer 3 kayaks closest to your percentage.)

• Yes, I have (1 hobie kayak)
    • No, I have not (1 hobie kayak)
    • Yes, I have (2 hobie kayaks)
    • No, I have not (2 hobie kayaks)
    • Yes, I have (1 hobie kayak) no, I have not (1 hobie kayak)
    • Yes, I have (3 hobie kayaks)
    • No, I have not (3 hobie kayaks)
    • Yes, I have (1 hobie kayak) no, I have not (2 hobie kayaks)
    • Yes, I have (2 hobie kayaks) no, I have not (1 hobie kayak)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

136 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, bantis said:

Everyone needs to bring it down a notch, this isn't even on topic anymore. :banghd:

If you really feel that way, you shouldn't have responded to the off topic tangent at all. Don't wait until your off topic responses are going South

Edited by Santiago II

6 hours ago, mmiller said:

So... in this hot bed of heavy users where some are simply motivated to be here to discuss problems...  and some just to stir the pot...  a place where the guys without issues are far less likely to be... and specifically in a negative topic like this. Happy customers do not hang around in forums like this. So, it is clearly not based on any real data sample. It's a biased data group. It is not an accurate sample by any means. So these "numbers" are not surprising to me.

All of these statements by you appear highly biased based on assumptions that are pejorative and unsubstantiated.

We don't know if the sample is biased or not, all we know is that it's not  generalizable.

It could accurately reflect the whole population of Hobie kayaks, we just can't know because all the data is self reported, so there's a selection bias. But, all the data you Hobie has is also self reported and subject to the same bias concerns

As far as this poll, unless the reported damages are outright lies, this is very much a real data sample

17 hours ago, kross57 said:

And you never answered this question. Now that I am getting a one-year warranty on my replacement hull, is that going to be given on all replacement hulls? Or are all the other customers going to have to file a complaint with the state of California, like I did?    

Crickets.

5 mins ago, kross57 said:

Crickets.

It only makes sense to do it. 

Posted (edited)

I was just answering to a survey as a Hobie owner, from a guy I respect quite a bit.

I think you all know what's going on here, and I don't want any part of it.

Good luck guys.

Edited by TimS
Please don't drag any crap from other sites here - thanks.

2 hours ago, fusioneng said:

I was just answering to a survey as a Hobie owner, from a guy I respect quite a bit.

I think you all know what's going on here, and I don't want any part of it.

Good luck guys.

What's going on is that you made a claim that seemed improbable. If that's the impression you want to leave with, your choice

17 hours ago, Santiago II said:

What's going on is that you made a claim that seemed improbable. If that's the impression you want to leave with, your choice

My favorite is when people write things like "we all know what's going on here" - and don't explain it or offer any evidence so help out the slow people who don't know what's going on here or support their claim that something is going on here :th:

TimS

Tim:

Your the one that edited out the explanation. Now your sayin I didn't explain.

Your a dick.

Don't post this.

I'll be cancelling my account and I won't be back.

50 mins ago, fusioneng said:

Tim:

Your the one that edited out the explanation. Now your sayin I didn't explain.

Your a dick.

Don't post this.

I'll be cancelling my account and I won't be back.

What you wrote was dragging garbage from another site to this one...that you were a long time member of another forum, ...hardly relevant much less an explanation to your claim that everyone knows what’s going on HERE :rolleyes: 

You sound pretty sensible and stable, lol. I’ll refund your subscription immediately :bucktooth: Oh...wait...

TimS

I have refrained from chiming in on all of the Hobie hull threads over the past few months. I will be as fair as possible here because both sides have some valid points.

First, I have had my PA 14 for about 6 years (I think) with a few hundred launches. No cracks that I know of. Unless the kayak has been put under some kind of undo stress, I would not "expect" the hull to crack. In the areas where the stress points are considerably high like in the drive area, I would expect Hobie to take additional measures to reinforce that area beyond what they are doing now. 

Second, when you consider the cost of the Hobie product, AND if Matt Miller is correct that the failure rate is a half of one percent, then I think that I have a suggestion that everyone including Hobie can live with. I would ask Hobie to do the following...

1. For Kayaks purchased in 2018 or earlier and still under warranty, Hobie replaces the hull at no charge

2. For Kayaks purchased earlier than 2018 and are out of warranty, consumer pays $100 for every year the kayak is out of warranty to have the hull replaced up to 10 years with a maximum of $1,000.

3. For all new Kayaks, Hobie will raise the price of all new kayaks by 1% over and above their anticipated price increase for the upcoming year. Since the failure rate is .5%, this 1% additional increase should double the cost needed to provide a full and complete hull replacement for the first 10 years. I would never complain about the 1% insurance policy.

Matt, in general I like the PA 14. I enjoy fishing from it. I like the comfortable seat even though some guys here like to call it a lawn chair. The only real complaint that I have which I know you have heard often is that front hatch. I really cannot believe that you guys have not figured out a way for that to lock down and keep the water out. 

Lastly, I have a couple of ideas for upgrades/modifications for future models. 

I've been following this circus as well. Just like everyone else I have an opinion on it. Hobie could have said..out of warranty ?...to bad so sad. They didn't. They offered a new hull at a price with a year warranty. I can see the argument as to why not a 2 year warranty..a new hull is a new hull...but still...they could have said go pound sand..

2 mins ago, Surfinator said:

I've been following this circus as well. Just like everyone else I have an opinion on it. Hobie could have said..out of warranty ?...to bad so sad. They didn't. They offered a new hull at a price with a year warranty. I can see the argument as to why not a 2 year warranty..a new hull is a new hull...but still...they could have said go pound sand..

That's very true, and they would be well within their right to do that.

The reason there are a lot of strong opinions about the topic is because there's more to it than that.

If Hobie's were bullet proof, that would be the end of the discussion.

A few complaints here and there, but nothing to raise eyebrows

But, the primary issue behind the warranty issue is the issue of product failure, and this poll suggests that it is a significant problem for some unfortunate owners.

Hobie appears to know it's an issue because:

1) the original warranty is very poor by industry standards for typical rotomolded kayaks, which should be darn near indestructable

2) they have a strategy to mitigate it with an unwritten extension. 

From a public relations issue, the first part is mitigated by the second part. Poor warranty due to the increased likelihood of failure, but flexibility on the poor warranty to blunt the critics. Overall a good PR strategy. Under some instances you get a replacement, roughly at cost, but better than having to buy new. Poly has a significant mark up, so everyone wins.

Sort of

You still have a weak warranty

You still have a fuzzy warranty extension, if you know how to get it.

You still have a failure issue behind all this. At least that's what this poll is telling us.

And, now you have competition in the marketplace. 

This conversation won't be over any time soon

6 mins ago, Santiago II said:

The reason there are a lot of strong opinions about the topic is because there's more to it than that.

No argument here. Definitely room for improvement. 

2 hours ago, Santiago II said:

But, the primary issue behind the warranty issue is the issue of product failure, and this poll suggests that it is a significant problem for some unfortunate owners.

And, now you have competition in the marketplace. 

This goes back to one of my solutions. If Hobie wants to stand by their .5% (half percent) failure rate, then build in a 1% price increase at purchase (insurance policy) and just offer the best warranty in the industry and use that as a selling point against the competition. In theory, they would be making money on that deal and the consumers would be happy.

55 mins ago, EricJ said:

This goes back to one of my solutions. If Hobie wants to stand by their .5% (half percent) failure rate, then build in a 1% price increase at purchase (insurance policy) and just offer the best warranty in the industry and use that as a selling point against the competition. In theory, they would be making money on that deal and the consumers would be happy.

That's actually a great idea. Waves any pro-rated fees or shipping fees. Agree, if it is a true .5 than it's a money maker.