Seadogg

Funny fish 2018

47 posts in this topic

The pic from Mighty is also a bonito...but a pacific bonito, with the stripes being more spread out, and less of them...but the stripes on a skippy are more so on the belly

Posted (edited)

Skipjack 

E66B48A6-089D-463C-8E61-2707F282AF5F.jpeg

Not it one I caught, just a photo reference. Beautiful fish. 

Edited by Seadogg

I had a nice run of skipjack off RI in 2005 and 2006, those years were a mix of 28-30 inch bluefin, skipjack and albies all on fly tackle...... i do not now if i will ever see that again in my lifetime !!! The skipjack fight the best. 

16 mins ago, striperblues said:

I had a nice run of skipjack off RI in 2005 and 2006, those years were a mix of 28-30 inch bluefin, skipjack and albies all on fly tackle...... i do not now if i will ever see that again in my lifetime !!! The skipjack fight the best. 

That sounds spectacular. I wish I could see something like that and of course get to experience that with a fly rod in hand.

Posted (edited)

38 mins ago, striperblues said:

Yep remember it well friend caught skipjack at watch hill!!!

this was 2006 we had bluefin Bonita albies blues and bass what a day!!!

yep those skippy’s rip up the water we also caught Mahi on Brenton Reef!

Actually There were bluefin all over  The Race in LIS too that year friends caught plenty up to 40-50lbs!

6068A581-F88A-47C2-95CF-C9BE1B13F3BD.jpeg

Edited by mkus

On 9/13/2018 at 0:19 AM, mightyrime said:

I was never able to catch a Bonito on the east coast.. got plenty of albies.

Here in the pacific we have tons of Bonito and they get big to 10lb, I had a couple days where we caught maybe 50 or more.  They are almost a nuisance when targeting yellowtail.   They are strong fish pound for pound and fun on an 8wt.  I If you really want to target them come to Los Angeles!

IMG_47101.jpg

These Pacific bonito seem to have larger mouths and fewer stripes than our East Coast Sarda Sarda

From what I can gather the Pacific bonito are not highly prized as food, I see descriptors like gamy, oily and "like cat food " being applied to the West Coast fish. Anyone here have experience with eating Pacific bonito?

On 9/12/2018 at 7:56 PM, BillHassan said:

Wife picked up a Bonito last week using a 5" Half and Half with a knotable wire leader.

Go figure.

Ha!  good for Sheila

Posted (edited)

This one was from several days ago, but it’s dead now, so come on over if you’d like. :howdy: Chartreuse albie wh*re, slow strip. Got it on the pause. 

55ECE004-C226-4626-8303-091537DFAC62.jpeg

Edited by Seadogg

Found some great action today. My dad and I were able to get a few in before a job came up. 

4BD7A4DB-B284-44EB-8D3F-3CA96FED8E32.jpeg

Nice fat fish! Congrats!

Sorry I pulled you away from them yesterday... glad they were there for you today!

42 mins ago, BillHassan said:

Nice fat fish! Congrats!

Sorry I pulled you away from them yesterday... glad they were there for you today!

No worries Bill, glad to help. How’d you guys make out after I left?