Seadogg

Funny fish 2018

37 posts in this topic

It’s that time of year again, so lets have ‘em. Feel free to include gear and fly details. 

Bunch of bones today in an area I towed a boat to. Ideal scenario. They were numerous, stayed on top for a while, and were aggressive as hell. Caught till I was tired. 

Scott Tidal 8wt, Galvan Rush LT, SA Titan S2/S4. Straight 4’ of 20lb mono. First bones on the setup. Got it this spring. 

3” chartreuse/white fleye foil surf candy. 

18219157-49A7-4CED-915E-77EE442198C4.jpeg

910B41E8-E24C-471E-BB2D-DBF785A5B3EE.jpeg

Yes...!

Heard solid reports so will be on the hunt this weekend. No boat this round as its on Cape and I am heading south where im going but will either look for them from shore or on SUP depending on conditions.

Gear

T&T Exocett 10wt

Nautilus NVG 9/10

Rio Striper line Intermediate

TFO Axiom 8 Wt

Danielsson HD 7/10

Airflo Striper floating

16-20lb Seaguar Flouro hand built leaders.

Box full of sandeel/anchovy/bunny flies.

Lots of patience sunscreen and focus!

For bonito that size a 7wgt would enhance the fight and still beat em quickly. I like my LP3 on a Orvis Clearwater 7wgt (bought on the BST Board) for this type of fishing. I have a very slim chance of bonito here in NJ from shore but it is possible.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:52 PM, saltyh2ofly said:

For bonito that size a 7wgt would enhance the fight and still beat em quickly. I like my LP3 on a Orvis Clearwater 7wgt (bought on the BST Board) for this type of fishing. I have a very slim chance of bonito here in NJ from shore but it is possible.

Agreed - I sort of got into the act, but on spinning gear. But the size of the fish I was getting (3-4 lbs) didn't exactly scream 'YOU NEED A 10 WT!!!'...Actually a 7 weight would've been perfect

But for gear, I'm going with a Nautilus 7/8 NVG on a 7 weight Loomis Crosscurrent GLX and a second Nautilus 7/8 NVG on a 7 weight St Croix Legend Elite...will bump up to 9 weight gear once albies enter the fray

Sat AM was a cluster and I didnt get down to the spot until later in the morning with a friend. I did hear that they were in tight early but I missed that window. The rest of the day was spent in the rain and I did attempt some sight fishing but conditions were not great for it. Ended up with a sea robbin and called it a day after walking the beaches. Otherwise, great to be in that neck of the woods again. Cannot wait for the crowds to disperse and the cooler weather to arrive. Also thought that what I brought was a bit heavy. Wondering if my 6 wt Streamer stick would do well for the Bones...

The 6 wt would handle the fish themselves...you'd just have to watch the conditions, and to a lesser extent (since most bonito flies are small), the size of the fly

6 mins ago, albacized said:

The 6 wt would handle the fish themselves...you'd just have to watch the conditions, and to a lesser extent (since most bonito flies are small), the size of the fly

For sure. I can sling some big articulated junk on a 200 grain streamer line so I might bring the 6 if the wind and conditions allow it. Thanks

First Albert of the season. Lousy picture but it’s a PIA taking one while alone. Chartreuse albie wh*re. 

68FDDF2B-427E-4492-948B-831C6263D636.jpeg

Nice work - I'm not exactly killing it yet, 6 total hardtails this year so far (5 bones, 1 albie - with only 2 of the bones caught on the fly so far)....hopefully it kicks into gear soon...but I rec'd two bad reports today from two areas that had been producing from shore

Wife picked up a Bonito last week using a 5" Half and Half with a knotable wire leader.

Go figure.

Posted (edited)

I was never able to catch a Bonito on the east coast.. got plenty of albies.

Here in the pacific we have tons of Bonito and they get big to 10lb, I had a couple days where we caught maybe 50 or more.  They are almost a nuisance when targeting yellowtail.   They are strong fish pound for pound and fun on an 8wt.  I If you really want to target them come to Los Angeles!

IMG_47101.jpg

Edited by mightyrime

17 hours ago, mightyrime said:

I was never able to catch a Bonito on the east coast.. got plenty of albies.

Here in the pacific we have tons of Bonito and they get big to 10lb, I had a couple days where we caught maybe 50 or more.  They are almost a nuisance when targeting yellowtail.   They are strong fish pound for pound and fun on an 8wt.  I If you really want to target them come to Los Angeles!

IMG_47101.jpg

That’s what we call a skipjack more offshore fish