Brucey

*HELP* Marshall Islands GT Fishing

20 posts in this topic

Hello! New to the SO forum and have come to ask for some help regarding a future vacation. At the end of August I will be taking a trip to Kwajalein, one of the Marshall Islands in the South Pacific. From what I understand this is prime country for Giant Trevally and I want to make the most of my trip by trying to catch one. With virtually no first hand experience in salt water fishing to this degree I've turned to stripers online because there seems to be a lot of experienced saltwater fisherman on the forum who know their stuff. I hail from Washington state in the PNW and there is nothing that comes close to requiring the degree of heavy duty tackle needed to target GTs off the shore. I need to know what size rod, reel, fishing line and lures I will need to tackle these beasts. Since this will be the only time I target these fish I'm not looking to break the bank on a Stella, just something that will last me for the week. As for rods, I have no clue what a good brand or what rod specifications are necessary for throwing poppers and landing GTs from shore. A used rod would be great so if anyone is willing to sell something that would work for the occasion I'm open to that route as well. I'm looking for any info at all that might help in preparing for this trip so whoever thinks they might be able to help please do so! Thank you and tight lines!! 

I’ve never fished for them but have a buddy who does and seen a lot of videos. You might be able to get away with a penn spin fisher 850 with upgraded drag washers. Probably be smoked after a fish or 2 but there cheap and you could put new ones in. Other than that a big shimano spheros might get one . I’d use quality  80lb braid like Diawa j braid or something similar. Probably have to spend some bucks on a rod tho. Not sure about that but it sounds like a cool trip good luck

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on getting a Daiwa BG8000 with 80lb J-Braid. Finding a rod is tough, and with a lot of 1 piece rods it means getting it will be tougher. Not to mention I have no clue what plugs to use :(

You may safely assume that most of your casting will be with poppers and chuggers in the 2-4 oz. size bracket, so make sure whatever rod you acquire is rated for 2-5 or so. You can also use the Search feature on the board (currently disabled for debugging) to locate prior threads on these fish. 

31 mins ago, Brucey said:

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on getting a Daiwa BG8000 with 80lb J-Braid. Finding a rod is tough, and with a lot of 1 piece rods it means getting it will be tougher. Not to mention I have no clue what plugs to use :(

I’ve seen them use a lot of big yo Zuri popper type lures . Probably the biggest they have. If they are feeding you could probably use an old flip flop or something 

I will look into the yo-zuri poppers. Was looking into the Daiwa Proteus rods, they just released a stick that can huck up to 110 grams which is right around 4 ounces. So good to affirm that the Proteus is a good option.

I've had trouble finding any threads  on this subject, thats the reason I created my own. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

No, you're not. We normally have a Search feature, that sits in the top right hand of your screen (at least on a PC; it might be different for a smartphone.)  Right now, the entire site has been infested by gremlins of some sort.  Search is processor and memory intensive, and when things suddenly slow to a crawl, TimS usually disables it to keep things from getting worse.

I attribute the slowdown to wear and tear on the electrons. They get chipped and worn, with enough travel through the wires. However, reasonable men have offered other theories, like demonic possession of the server.  It could be so.

Suggestions on how many lures I should bring? I'm thinking 3 poppers and 3 stickbaits at about $30 a pop. Also would 65lb braid cut it and be worth the extra casting distance or is it better to be safe than sorry and jump to 100lb braid? Plan on using a 150lb leader.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, Brucey said:

I've had trouble finding any threads  on this subject, thats the reason I created my own. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

You can search threads on here on google. I searched ,many threads on GT. I'd start prepping now.

I have no clue how big the fish there will get but I'm bringing a setup that could tackle a 100lber! Daiwa BG6500 with 80lb braid and Black Hole Cape Cod Popping special. I've searched the forum on google and still not as much stuff had I searched a question on say a bass fishing forum. Was hoping someone with first hand experience with these fish could chime in. I think I will just plan to bring at least 6 lures.

Go to you tube and watch videos from the guys that produce the MorningTide Fishing.  They are Australian, and a lot of fun to watch.   They have several videos about the tackle they use to catch GTs. 

7 hours ago, italian612 said:

Go to you tube and watch videos from the guys that produce the MorningTide Fishing.  They are Australian, and a lot of fun to watch.   They have several videos about the tackle they use to catch GTs. 

I was going to say the same thing,these guys are hardcore.

There will be more than enough content to view.