CLB

Lightweight (5w) rod advice

24 posts in this topic

I’ve been having a great first striper season fishing a 8w rod.

I guess I’ve done a good job communicating how fun it is because I have several friends and family that want to give it a try. I’m thinking about putting together a second rig so I can get them out a few times with me before they commit to investing in their own gear.

Given that I’m usually shore fishing a small/medium estuary and catching 14-24” fish, I’m thinking to go lighter for the 2nd rig as opposed to going for a bigger surf setup - maybe that’ll be the future 3rd rod!

I need to do this somewhat on the cheap and am looking mostly at older used rods. I read the older 5w thread and the more recent one too and have been keeping my eye out for some of the rods mentioned.

I did come across a 5wt Jim Teeny TFO - anyone have any feedback on suitability of that rod for my purposes? Other ideas?

Thanks for any feedback.

Just curious why you want to go to a 5wt for Striper fishing thats a rod I would never consider for SaltWater.  Not critical, the places I striper fish are windy, shores, from shallow to deep and want the most versatile setup I can have which would be your 8wt. 

I think you’re going too far with a 5, a strong 6 with fighting butt that will throw a saltwater (overweight), line will work great and you’ll be able to cast small striper flies that a 5 simply will not handle. The exception is that there are some 5wts that are made for tournaments and are plenty powerful, but you’d never use a real 5 line on them.

JC

Hi CLB,

I don't know anything about the Teeny TFO, so I can't help you there. Keep in mind that all five weights are not created equal -- I have some 5s that I would never use for stripers -- but my TFO TiCr is perfect for the job. I use a #9 Rio Outbound on it because I can throw a larger payload with that line -- and of course, stripers don't care which line you use with any given rod.

Stripers are a blast on a five weight. I've taken fish to 15 pounds on mine. You're in good company -- check out comment #8 in this old thread, from none other than Ray Bondorew:

Have fun and good luck!

Steve Culton

Do you ever worry about over playing the fish?  Thats what would keep me out of the 5wt game, that plus a tidal current puts my 9wt in enough trouble, I couldnt imagine that with a 5'er.

Sorry for the double response, but this is what I wrote at the end of the old thread:

The short answer is: No.  :-)

You play any big striper with the reel and the bottom third of the blank. Between a sharp hook, a stout (20#-30#) leader, and a tight drag, the angler is the one who is dictating terms.

You don't need light tackle to overplay a fish. I see it happen all the time with people using what is considered more traditional salt water tackle.

Several years ago, I brought a stop watch along with me and timed my battles from hookset to landing with the five-weight, all on bass 28" or better. Someday I'll dig them up and publish them. You can land a big fish a lot faster than you think.

Steve Culton

Thanks for replies.

scooleen: I have the prototypical 8wt setup and am considering a 2nd setup - I don’t want to duplicate what I have so I can go lighter or heavier. At this point in my striper learning curve, I’m focused on small/medium estuaries so leaning toward the lighter setup. I definitely don’t want to overplay any fish, but I do enjoy a little excitement/tension/uncertainty after setting the hook. Right now with my 8w and the size fish I’m encountering it’s really all over at that point except for stripping in...

JonC: my goal is to get a “beefy” 5w that will fish well when uplined a bit, which should help with moving bigger flies at the shore/in the breeze. I’m hoping from the limited reviews I can find online that the Jim Teeny might fit the bill. But I imagine 6w is likely to scratch the same itch...

Steve: Thanks for the thread link. I hadn’t come across that one. Great story and cool to see Ray chiming in. I’ll have to work on accumulating the materials to try tying up a Bondorew Bucktail.

7 hours ago, CLB said:

I’ve been having a great first striper season fishing a 8w rod.

I guess I’ve done a good job communicating how fun it is because I have several friends and family that want to give it a try. I’m thinking about putting together a second rig so I can get them out a few times with me before they commit to investing in their own gear.

Given that I’m usually shore fishing a small/medium estuary and catching 14-24” fish, I’m thinking to go lighter for the 2nd rig as opposed to going for a bigger surf setup - maybe that’ll be the future 3rd rod!

I need to do this somewhat on the cheap and am looking mostly at older used rods. I read the older 5w thread and the more recent one too and have been keeping my eye out for some of the rods mentioned.

I did come across a 5wt Jim Teeny TFO - anyone have any feedback on suitability of that rod for my purposes? Other ideas?

Thanks for any feedback.

A 5wt is my go-to for delivering smaller flies to clever fish. I regularly catch 20lb class fish with it, and it doesn't take any more time/effort than it does with a 7wt. Trust your knots and keep your rod low, and the fish won't know you're not using an 8wt.

Posted (edited)

I think the idea of a 5wt for your intentions is great. i am kind of a proponent of "saltwater" rods for saltwater fishing, even though you can certainly rinse any rod with freshwater and it will last forever.  only because most "saltwater" rods are typically a bit beefier for lifting power and perhaps with more "corrosion resistant" components.  having said that, if time is no object, I would look for a sage xi3 589 or an rpl xi 5wt.   great rods, built for salt and with a fighting butt, just in case....you need it/like it.  not sure if the teeny tfo was designed for the salt?

Edited by srm413

Not all 5 wts are created the same just like all 8 wts are not created the same. Your ability to lean into a fish, as opposed to deliver a delicate cast, would be my concern.

1 hour ago, JohnP said:

Your ability to lean into a fish, as opposed to deliver a delicate cast, would be my concern.

That's up to the person behind the rod, not the rod itself. If you don't know how to pressure fish, you'll do just as much damage with an 8wt. 3lbs of drag is 3lbs of drag regardless of what it's attached to. Unless you're fighting a fish vertically, the 5wt isn't a handicap. 

Well.  In 30yrs of living on the sea coast. I’ve gone from a 9::to an 8.  And now fishing a 7.   But I wouldn’t want to take any of my 5 wts.    That ticrx thought is a stick !!!  In the 5 wt.   and yes I had that teeny rod    It’s a clunker ....stay away.  

Get a nice 7 wt with a good warranty for 150 bucks.  And be done 

9 mins ago, jamato said:

Well.  In 30yrs of living on the sea coast. I’ve gone from a 9::to an 8.  And now fishing a 7.   But I wouldn’t want to take any of my 5 wts.    That ticrx thought is a stick !!!  In the 5 wt.   and yes I had that teeny rod    It’s a clunker ....stay away.  

Get a nice 7 wt with a good warranty for 150 bucks.  And be done 

I do the majority of my inshore fishing with a 5wt. So do a lot of people. 

20171206_120900.jpg

20171101_150850.jpg