JaseB

Dual Sport Bikes

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

27 mins ago, bospa357 said:

Jase, take a look at the Kawasaki KLR 650. They've been around for a long time so they have a proven record. Most folks seem to give it favorable reviews and the prices seem right. Both Honda and Suzuki offer mid sized Dual Sport bikes as well, but the market seems to lean towards the Kawasaki from the research I did not long ago.

Before my health started going south, I was considering selling my Harley and going this route. My short list included the Honda Africa Twin and the Triumph Tiger Adventure. But both those are bigger than what your contemplating.

That is in the top three it seems, Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki all have a 650 and each has it's fans.

15 mins ago, Billybob said:

How old is the kid?

He'll be 8 in Nov.

8 mins ago, mitchell master said:

Look at the Honda

I would only recommend the KLR if they have upgraded it to a Alum frame and a six speed instead of five.Buy a used Honda.

Interesting, thanks.   The KLR looks like it's geared more to road riding and the Honda more dirt. 

Posted (edited)

I have a DR350. Used it a couple times off road in Pa but mostly for finding easy parking on weekends at the beach.

You could probably pick one up cheap.

Edited by Lagerhead

If using more on road than off road the KLR650 has the power to scoot with traffic. Gearing no more than sprocket(s)chain change.

Not sure what you're accustomed to for weight/power,or your inseam,KLR is heavy and has a high seat height. Not the best machine for riding in tight quarters in  the woods. They have been around since 1987,fair amount of aftermarket support. Get a newer version,they get "used",the older you get the more maintenance(forks,shock,linkage) you'll have to do. Not unlike buying a used car.

Tires will make/break any dualsport,there are lots of DOT options for knobbie tires.

Suzuki DRZ400 is another i'd recommend. Good manners on road and good suspension for off. More modern than KLR,has a lot of grunt but lighter.

KTMs,while very nice machines are high maintenance and parts aren't as cheap as the Japanese bikes. Good amount of aftermarket support.

I wouldn't even bother riding a Dual sport 650 in the woods.  Get at street legal 450 enduro, throw a seat pad on it.  Me, model citizen and some guy eric are the only ones to talk to about this.

22 mins ago, cleatis said:

I wouldn't even bother riding a Dual sport 650 in the woods.  Get at street legal 450 enduro, throw a seat pad on it.  Me, model citizen and some guy eric are the only ones to talk to about this.

Thanks. This is the advice I was hoping to find.  While a 650 is small compared to my 1150, it's still significantly bigger than the 250 dirt bikes we rode in my teens and 20's.   They had more than enough juice to nearly kill us multiple times over.

not in the market for anything new, but looking at the manufacturers websites, it's crazy how the 450 class bikes new are significantly more expensive than their 650 counterparts.

6 mins ago, JaseB said:

Thanks. This is the advice I was hoping to find.  While a 650 is small compared to my 1150, it's still significantly bigger than the 250 dirt bikes we rode in my teens and 20's.   They had more than enough juice to nearly kill us multiple times over.

not in the market for anything new, but looking at the manufacturers websites, it's crazy how the 450 class bikes new are significantly more expensive than their 650 counterparts.

If your just looking have fun and rip with the kid, a 250 would be fine.  I have one.  Just like you can't have one fishing rod for everything, thats why I have a dozen or so bikes.

2 hours ago, cleatis said:

If your just looking have fun and rip with the kid, a 250 would be fine.  I have one.  Just like you can't have one fishing rod for everything, thats why I have a dozen or so bikes.

I wish!  Rip with the kid but grind a peg on the hard top every once in a while on the curvy country roads we have around here would be ideal.  A 450 sounds like maybe the best compromise.  How are they on the roads?

I have a KLR 650 and a vstrom 1000 that both see plenty of off road use. I'm finding though that they are beating the hell out of me cause they're too damn heavy. I'm going to keep the strom but trade out the KLR for a DRZ 400. Light, nimble and yet no slouch.

22 hours ago, mitchell master said:

You could always build a Street Tracker out of a Sportster or a xs 650.

sxr-street-tracker.jpg

I know where he can find a near mint donor if he needs one 

6208BD0D-73ED-4A9B-B15F-5A721AA739FD.jpeg