hanlon-surf

Report from the OBX

108 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

This^

Not sure how many of the current regular posters were around here when all of this played out, but I watched it all happen right here in the pages of this forum all those years ago.

And the effects of it are still lingering to this day. It is so sad to see the vast emptiness of the south point of Bodie Island as you come over the Bonner Bridge. Today, no man can even step foot on that beach whereas years ago on a June afternoon there would be various trucks and people fishing, swimming, crabbing and ENJOYING the area.

And that is all gone because of a couple of stupid birds, likely never to come back :(, because of the antics of these various wildlife groups that held a judge in their pocket by pulling on the heartstrings of grandmas in Toledo and Akron and wherever else to line their own pockets with donations to "save the poor little birdies...." :mad:

Steve, I followed the litigation and read most of the briefs filed in the case. I printed out a copy of the consent decree as well. Some of the examples made up of the treats to the plovers and turtles were extreme and isolated. The DOW had a twofold purpose, although they would never admit it. One, to shut down ORV use on the beaches, and two, in turn, stop fishing. If ya can’t drive on the beach, who is gonna fish? And if ya can’t fish, who needs bait or fishing gear, etc to put all the shops out of business. 

I remember reading about Subaru making a very substantial contribution to Audobon while this case was pending. They took a lot of heat, but that only reinforced the tree huggers to buy Foresters and Outbacks.

oh, and Subaru tried to classify it as no good deed goes unpunished.

Edited by Retainer

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Ksjohnson said:

There should be a huge sign when you come over bonner bridge onto Hatteras Island, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, beach closures brought to you by the Audobon Society, and Defenders of Wildlife

There are still signs up that look like these..be sure to pick your sticker up at any local retailer on HI.

IMG_1247.PNG

Edited by DaBig2na

5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

And the effects of it are still lingering to this day. It is so sad to see the vast emptiness of the south point of Bodie Island as you come over the Bonner Bridge. Today, no man can even step foot on that beach whereas years ago on a June afternoon there would be various trucks and people fishing, swimming, crabbing and ENJOYING the area.

Sure you can step foot on the beach at the north side of the Inlet..Lots of Drum have been caught there in recent weeks and in about three weeks we can drive on it. Once again consessions were made, as Retainer has explained to you. You folks have the same issues in Mass on the Cape.  A whole lot worse than we do!

No more than you come down here.....

We got this ! 

Posted (edited)

DB - When we came down in June this year, you couldn't even land a boat on the point by the bridge at that south point. The signs not only said no landing, but NO TRESPASSING. 

And there was not a sole to be seen. and it has been that way for at least 15 years, as it was right around the time of consent decree that it happened.

Does that change later/earlier in the season?

I have my own opinion of the stuff that took place down there and the way these groups work, but no time to get into it now. Let's just say the heads of these organizations feed on other folks to fund them, do their dirty work, and then use the FORCE of government to line thier own pockets then being able to have an answer to those misguided contributors when they ask "What have you done for us lately?"

And trust me I know, not only on the Cape up here, but also in NJ or some other spots......they always need a target to keep the cash flowing.

Too bad the folks from those areas now fighting it didn't help to nip it in the bud when they started all of this  years ago down in Hatteras. But you know, "Won't effect me, I don't fish there...."      

Sigh............

Edited by Steve in Mass

15 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

DB - When we came down in June this year, you couldn't even land a boat on the point by the bridge at that south point. The signs not only said no landing, but NO TRESPASSING. 

And there was not a sole to be seen. and it has been that way for at least 15 years, as it was right around the time of consent decree that it happened.

Does that change later/earlier in the season?

I have my own opinion of the stuff that took place down there and the way these groups work, but no time to get into it now. Let's just say the heads of these organizations feed on other folks to fund them, do their dirty work, and then use the FORCE of government to line thier own pockets then being able to have an answer to those misguided contributors when they ask "What have you done for us lately?"

And trust me I know, not only on the Cape up here, but also in NJ or some other spots......they always need a target to keep the cash flowing.

Too bad the folks from those areas now fighting it didn't help to nip it in the bud when they started all of this  years ago down in Hatteras. But you know, "Won't effect me, I don't fish there...."      

Sigh............

WTH are you talking about? Pea Island?  I was referring to up at the inlet at the bridge, since that is what you mentioned. On the south end, Dude,! Did you see all that BIG BRIDGE BUILDING EQUIPMENT? It was on the right side of the road and the left.... No? The No Trespassing signs are Pretty Much a NO BRAINIER!  The construction company doesn't want your ass or anyone else's in there. Its Temporary. Insurance and safety reasons if you need it spelled out for you.

Yes the Driving Season changes for different parts of the beach...... A tourist who thinks he is a local should know that.

Another week to 10 days and the "Tourist Season" officially ends..... Then a large percentage of  "Real Fishermen"  will come between late Sept and Dec. 

No, no no, not that side, the south end of Bodie Island which is on the north east side of the bridge. The access was thru the Bodie Island Campground. That trail was closed because of nesting birds right near the access ramp. Because of those nests 2.5+ miles of beach (and prime fishing area) became inaccessible, and that became permanent.

5b7aad2e2e190_BodieIsland.png.807269bfbe2640141abcc1e07b689f0e.png

From the bridge you can see the "No Landing" and "No Trespassing" signs all along the shore line.

Bodie Island ramp 4 south all the way to Oregon Inlet is not permanently closed. It is a seasonal only route that opens September 15th for vehicles.  You can actually walk there right now if you want and you don't have to be on "wet sand".

The no trespassing signs right next to the bridge are probably there due to all the construction.  Cranes frequently unload large girders and other materials and all traffic is stopped while it's in progress, so if something falls off the bridge they don't want anyone getting pancaked.  However the rest of the spit is opened as above.

2 hours ago, NH Paul said:

Bodie Island ramp 4 south all the way to Oregon Inlet is not permanently closed. It is a seasonal only route that opens September 15th for vehicles.  You can actually walk there right now if you want and you don't have to be on "wet sand".

Okay, this part I can believe and I stand corrected, I guess I was wrong, but that is because is I have never been to HI later than about July 4th. 

The second part I can tell you that the signs were there way before the bridge construction, as this year was the first time in 8 years that I was down, and they were there for at least 4 years before the hiatus, I guess since the consent decree went into effect.

The fact that some can walk there now doesn't make up for the enjoyment many, many other people no longer have by being able to drive out, all because of some stupid 3 birds each year. Really, how many folks are gonna walk 2 miles to that point carrying the kids, the gear, the food, and whatever else. ****, I couldn't do it just carrying a single rod.

Posted (edited)

I think the park service and the courts lost track of why Cape Hatteras was created in the first place. The National Park Service has a book out called "The Creation and Establishment of Cape Hatteras National Seashore".  278 pages of why and how Cape Hatteras came to be. A couple things that stood out to me was:

This was part of the evaluation prior to declaring Hatteras a national seashore in 1937:

"the Park Service described the essential elements that would ultimately characterize Cape Hatteras National Seashore. These elements included both accessible and remote beach areas suitable for public bathing and fishing, villages set apart from the park but linked by a paved road to remove the cumbersome problem of driving over sand, and a vague awareness that some accommodation with hunting would be necessary"

I remember back in my college days in the 80s, most beaches were accessible to ORVs, you could drive from the Point to Frisco pier..and not 100% on this but I believe even down to Hatteras villiage...and oh yeah...you didn't need a fishing license...or an off road permit to fish and drive on the sand.( College kids have no money. We stayed at Avon motel $25:))

And a statement by the Secretary of Interior after Hatteras was declared a National Seashore:

"When we look up and down the ocean fronts of America, we find that everywhere they are passing behind the fences of private ownership. The people can no longer get to the ocean. When we have reached the point that a nation of 125 million people cannot set foot upon the thousands of miles of beaches that border the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, except by permission of those who monopolize the ocean front, then I say it is the prerogative and the duty of the Federal and State Governments to step in and acquire, not a swimming beach here and there, but solid blocks of ocean front hundreds of miles in length. Call this ocean front a national park, or a national seashore, or a state park or anything you please—I say that the people have a right to a fair share of it."        Secretary of the Interior Harold Ickes, 1938

I believe he was referring to the people of this country and not birds.:mad:

Edited by pilotman
spelling

On 8/19/2018 at 1:45 PM, DaBig2na said:

There are still signs up that look like these..be sure to pick your sticker up at any local retailer on HI.

IMG_1247.PNG

I know exactly the house where this is blown up lol. I also like the fisherman dangling the White House over Hillary

Posted (edited)

pilotman is right about the 80s. Drive wherever you wanted. And people still cared about the environment. Not like we were driving over the dunes or smashing turtle nests. We were surfing mainly back then, and drove the beaches to find that perfect sandbar break. Stayed at Frisco Woods with Ward and Betty, back then I think it was just cold water showers. Great memories and now my 3 girls love it there. My wife had never been there before. I took her down in 1994 and she loves it just as much as I do. I have been going down since 1977, bought my first twin fin from the old (but new back then) Natural Art shop when it was the shack across the street.

i was down after Christmas one year with my buddy, and We are close friends with Mike Finnegan down there. He invited us to the Christmas jamboree in Rodanthe. Now, SiM if you think you classify yourself as a local, I suggest you attend the jamboree. You will find out in 5 minutes that you don’t belong. We lasted about 2 hours before Gimme 3 Steps came on and we waved to Mike who was playing guitar  as we ran out of there!!!

Edited by Retainer

I never classified myself as a local, just said that I was not the typical tourist. And I was at one of the wildest local parties of all time down there one night many years ago in the Kinnakeet Tavern. Every local on the island was there I think, mixed in with a few vacationers that happened to be there that night. By the end of the night you had to fight your way thru the crowd to get out the door!

Unfortunately the owners of the Kinnakeet ended up getting stiffed by the guy that threw the party (at least that is what I was subsequently told by reliable sources), and I think that was at least a partial contributor to the demise of the Kinnakeet.

And Pilotman, were you referring to me? If so, how?

I have to admit that I have not paid as much attention to "how" the regulations / restrictions came into affect as I should

no doubt there needs to be some sort of conservation as us humans have dome more damage to the environment than we care to admit. that said, responsible fishermen are often caught on the short end of it all. 

at the end of the day the OBX is my favorite place to be and every year i aim to be there more and more.

tight lines all

25 mins ago, hanlon-surf said:

I have to admit that I have not paid as much attention to "how" the regulations / restrictions came into affect as I should

no doubt there needs to be some sort of conservation as us humans have dome more damage to the environment than we care to admit. that said, responsible fishermen are often caught on the short end of it all. 

at the end of the day the OBX is my favorite place to be and every year i aim to be there more and more.

tight lines all

Hanlon, you just need to know the motivation. The birds and turtles were pawns. The true attack was to stop ORV use on the beach and consequently the fishing would be drastically reduced or eliminated, except for foot traffic. In the end, the goal was to shut everything down. Only problem with that was if the fishing stopped, the tourism industry, ie, rentals, shops, jobs, etc., would have taken such a bad hit that even the birders would have been affected. The year the injunction first took effect was bad, really bad. The place was deserted.

as said, concessions were made and we have the present deal